Marathon Weekend 2018

Did anyone else notice that the current event page for the 2018 marathon weekend mentions the 20th anniversary of the half as well as the 25th of the marathon?

Looks like they have now removed the references to a 20th half. I guess they are just going to act like this year happened and focus on the 25th Marathon next year.

Looks like they have now removed the references to a 20th half. I guess they are just going to act like this year happened and focus on the 25th Marathon next year.
I'm surprised they don't mention the 25th 5K or 5th 10K.

I'm planning on doing the dopey next year again as well. The makeshift half was fun, but it still wasn't quite the same. I didn't have any trouble signing up for the Dopey this year, but you all have me nervous about signing up for this year. I've heard some folks mention that you can sign up early through a travel agent or something? Any idea how that works?

Fine, @FFigawi - I'll do the 10K.

I hate it when all y'all gang up on me!!!!!

In my best auctioneer's voice...

Do I hear a 15K, 15, 15, 15K
How about a 15K
And we have 15K.
Now a half. Who is with me on a half, half, half,
Come on folks it is only 13.1 miles
Let me hear it for a half....and we have a half
Now who will do a full, yes folks a full
How about it. Do I hear a full, full, full,
Full going once
Full going twice
And DONE. Dopey number 3 is going to @Keels :woohoo:

the next item up on the to do list is

Olympic Triathlon...
Who will do this......:rotfl2:

In my best auctioneer's voice...

Do I hear a 15K, 15, 15, 15K
How about a 15K
And we have 15K.
Now a half. Who is with me on a half, half, half,
Come on folks it is only 13.1 miles
Let me hear it for a half....and we have a half
Now who will do a full, yes folks a full
How about it. Do I hear a full, full, full,
Full going once
Full going twice
And DONE. Dopey number 3 is going to @Keels :woohoo:

the next item up on the to do list is

Olympic Triathlon...
Who will do this......:rotfl2:

I hate all of you.

I'm surprised they don't mention the 25th 5K or 5th 10K.

I'm surprised about this too. I figured it would be good marketing to have a bunch of anniversary races.

Now on a more technical sense, 2018 should be the 25th anniversary of the Marathon and 5K; the 5th anniversary of the 10K, and the 20th anniversary of the half. 2019 should be the 5th anniversary of Dopey and 2020 for the 15th anniversary of Goofy.

I'm surprised about this too. I figured it would be good marketing to have a bunch of anniversary races.

Now on a more technical sense, 2018 should be the 25th anniversary of the Marathon and 5K; the 5th anniversary of the 10K, and the 20th anniversary of the half. 2019 should be the 5th anniversary of Dopey and 2020 for the 15th anniversary of Goofy.

Once you give out the medals for the races this year and the challenges, I don't think you can go back and say they "don't count" from an anniversary perspective. Plus, from a tracking standpoint it would be very difficult to keep track of new anniversaries down the road. It becomes no longer simply adding 5, 10, 15, etc to the inaugural year. You have to remember and track that separately somehow and RunDisney has trouble with the simple things already...

In my mind, once a race has been scheduled, sold, set up, etc, it should count from an anniversary standpoint. It was not run due to inclement weather, but you've still got all those "20th" anniversary medals out there on the street. You can't have two sets of "20th" anniversary medals. Otherwise, it just gets to be too complicated. For example, should Wine & Dine now be offset a year on an anniversary basis because its "half of a half" was technically not a running of the half marathon? Throw in another shortened race or a cancellation in a subsequent year with this precedent and it gets really hairy to track. I say keep it simple and roll on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter