Marathon Weekend 2019 - Analytics

twisney

Earning My Ears
I created some analytics using Tableau for the 2019 Marathon and thought it would be interesting to share.
https://public.tableau.com/profile/scott.mitchell4119#!/vizhome/WDWMarathon2019/FinishTimeBreakdown

If you're a data junkie, you'll love it.

If you want to know the number of corral jumpers by corral, or how many runners had negative splits, or who passed the most runners, you'll love it too. I made the data public in Tableau, so take it, share it, and do whatever you want with it.

Here are a few stats that you'll see in the charts:
  • Only 55 of 12,000 marathon participants improved their pace at each timing mat
  • 9 participants passed more than 10,000 others en-route to the finish line.
  • 33% of finishers bonked
  • Only 1,332 participants had a negative split
  • At the 5 mile mark, the most crowded was about 7:05 AM when 305 participants per minute were crossing the mat (that’s 5 per second!)
Would love to hear any other ideas for interesting stats that might be buried in the data.

...and that is one of the reasons why I push through to MK with very little stopping, the other is to get main street in the dark. Can't imagine how crowded it must be if there are 305 ppl /min crossing

I don't know how long it took you to put this together, but it is amazing! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Does runDisney make the raw data available?

I don't know how long it took you to put this together, but it is amazing! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Does runDisney make the raw data available?
They make some available but not everything. The finisher data can be found by looking up race results.

Thanks! That is really interesting! I am surprised how many corral jumpers there were...I thought they watched people's bibs better than that.

You've combined two of my favorite things.. Run Disney and data vizzes! (I use Tableau at work as well)

Seriously though, awesome job and thanks for sharing!

PS. If you gave the tableau and google sheet data of those who started from an earlier corral, the Marathon Investigation website would be all over that. Looking at just one corral jumper, 4971- she missed the 10K mark as well, which is suspicious

Also one suggestion.. did you look at average pace by state? It could be interesting to see how people did depending on what weather they are used to

Last edited:
How do know if someone was a corral jumper?

P.S. Is anyone else impressed by the three-year old who finished in less than 4 hours? :rotfl2:

did you look at average pace by state? ... I'd also love to know the gender and age breakdowns overall!

Good ideas. Finished these last night. Here you go...

Each map and table has filters so you can view by place, gender, and age division.
Here's an animation that shows how to use the filters:

TLxwXWy.gif

Any other requests, just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

How do know if someone was a corral jumper?

Long story short:

Corral Jumper = started with a corral that was earlier than their assigned corral AND ran slower than the average runner in their actual starting corral

Long story long:

Bib numbers tell the assigned starting corral (assignments are here, here, and here). Then, you can compare each participant's clock time with net time to calculate exactly when the participant crossed the start line, and thus their actual starting corral. Using the assigned corral and the actual starting corral, you can check if they started in an earlier corral than the one to which they were assigned.

That said, some people might have made a legitimate jump. For example, let's say a participant's original corral was misassigned but then corrected at the expo. They might have been misassigned a bib to start in corral E but then they were corrected to corral A at the expo, without a change in bib number. In order to account for these scenarios, I excluded jumpers that ran about the same time as everyone else in their actual starting corral. In other words, if you jumped corrals and at least kept up with the runners with which you started, you're not counted as a corral jumper. It only counts the people that jump forward and run slower than those in their starting group.

Long story short:

Corral Jumper = started with a corral that was earlier than their assigned corral AND ran slower than the average runner in their actual starting corral

Long story long:

Bib numbers tell the assigned starting corral (assignments are here, here, and here). Then, you can compare each participant's clock time with net time to calculate exactly when the participant crossed the start line, and thus their actual starting corral. Using the assigned corral and the actual starting corral, you can check if they started in an earlier corral than the one to which they were assigned.

That said, some people might have made a legitimate jump. For example, let's say a participant's original corral was misassigned but then corrected at the expo. They might have been misassigned a bib to start in corral E but then they were corrected to corral A at the expo, without a change in bib number. In order to account for these scenarios, I excluded jumpers that ran about the same time as everyone else in their actual starting corral. In other words, if you jumped corrals and at least kept up with the runners with which you started, you're not counted as a corral jumper. It only counts the people that jump forward and run slower than those in their starting group.

Oh man, I didn't realize that many people did that. I thought they always checked pretty carefully -- even in my pretty far back corral.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!