I want to run Boston someday mostly because I want to run the 6 majors.

Given my pace, well, it's probably gonna be as a charity runner.

People run Boston for a lot of different reasons. I haven't heard many people say they're running for the medal (unless I'm just talking to the wrong people, which, given my view of the boston marathon, is entirely possible). So they can half-*** it a little more.
Disney, on the other hand... I think more people do run that because they like the medal. Heck, I almost did it this year even though I was severely undertrained. So they need to put a bit more into the medal, probably.

The NYC medals the past few years have been pretty similar I feel, haven't they? Same shape and basic design, same colors, focus on Lady Liberty, etc.

Possibly. I can't remember all of them off the top of my head, but I do remember them being vaguely similar. I can get a comparison picture later today if you're really curious (they have all the NYC marathon medals on display at NYRR and I'm headed there tonight anyway).
But again ... I think fewer people run that because they like the medal.

Okay, since you mentioned it...

I'd like to hear thoughts from others on both Race Retreat and ChEAR squad. I haven't opted for Race Retreat before, but it sounds like there may be some worthwhile benefits - including the potential of early access to the Expo. I'm mostly curious if people used the benefits offered and what their thoughts are.

I did Race Retreat this year, and will do it again in 2019. I liked the ability to have early access to the expo. Being able to sit the morning of the half marathon was wonderful, and the fact that it was out of the cold and wind was even better. I also appreciated being able to get a bagel after the race to go with the extra banana I asked the person passing out post race snack boxes for. They had more food, but between the 11 am checkout and still being in cool down mode I did not have any.

The one draw back was having to wear a plastic bracelet, for days. The bracelet has ‘give away tabs’ that stick out from the side which were annoying. I ended up folding them under the bracelet and taping them down a small piece of generic K tape.

What are people's guesses for when registration will open? I love good speculations....

On the Boston medal, yeah I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they were running it for the medal.

WOW. That quick, huh? I was thinking like June 12th or 19th to give people time to get their finances together, or whatever.
I might guess a week out, just to give people enough warning. Registration was supposed to have happened in April, so in theory if you had the money set aside then you should still have it now...

WOW. That quick, huh? I was thinking like June 12th or 19th to give people time to get their finances together, or whatever.

I think its way too close to the ADR window opening (and even closer to the DVC 7-month booking opening, as someone pointed out to me) for them to delay. But I'm willing to admit that I may be very wrong.
I know a few pages back someone posted the prices from the website... I wonder if they posted those hoping people would notice and start getting the money together.

I think its way too close to the ADR window opening (and even closer to the DVC 7-month booking opening, as someone pointed out to me) for them to delay. But I'm willing to admit that I may be very wrong.
I know a few pages back someone posted the prices from the website... I wonder if they posted those hoping people would notice and start getting the money together.
Oh yeah, I don't think about things like that because those things don't usually apply to me. Haha. And I know that the delay should have helped people get their stuff together, but I am a super procrastinator, so for those like me we have just been hanging out waiting for an announcement. I just assumed the announcement would be along the lines of: "and now you can wait even longer!" Kind of like, when you think you are through the queue but there is another inside part of the queue that you didn't see. Because that's how runDisney has been operating lately.

Don't you worry about me folks, I have a credit card on stand by. #DopeyOrBust

Disney doesn’t worry so much about the ADR window when releasing things.

I can get a comparison picture later today if you're really curious (they have all the NYC marathon medals on display at NYRR and I'm headed there tonight anyway).

What do you mean by "there"? Does the NYRR club have an actual building someone off the street can go visit? What do they have there? The running nerd in me is intrigued!!

What do you mean by "there"? Does the NYRR club have an actual building someone off the street can go visit? What do they have there? The running nerd in me is intrigued!!

Yes! It's called the NYRR Runcenter, and its on 57th st between 8th ave & 9th ave. They host events, have packet pickup for most of their races (that's why I was there tonight), and they have some cool history stuff on the walls. If you're in the area and have a few minutes, it's worth a short stop.
There are also changing rooms and lockers if you want to drop your stuff and go for a run, plus a new balance store if you need to buy more gear.

https://www.nyrr.org/nyrr-runcenter-featuring-the-new-balance-run-hub

LRM_EXPORT_20180524_194717.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_20180524_194714.jpg
LRM_EXPORT_20180524_194715.jpg

I’m hoping for another week or so too, but mostly because I just paid for a completely unnecessary trip to Cuba in August and my credit card needs a little breathing room.

I have a bib on hold with the agency I work for, so I know prices - but even then they don’t have an idea for dates.

Hahahaha!!! The "regular" nerd in me thought the RR in NYRR was Rail Road! I thought they had a community-related display at a terminal. I thought, "that's nice".

In my defense, the I've only been to NYC a handful of times and have always taken the railroad (Metro North) into and out of the city...so NY coupled with railroad is my paradigm.

Hahahaha!!! The "regular" nerd in me thought the RR in NYRR was Rail Road! I thought they had a community-related display at a terminal. I thought, "that's nice".

In my defense, the I've only been to NYC a handful of times and have always taken the railroad (Metro North) into and out of the city...so NY coupled with railroad is my paradigm.

Slightly understandable, but just for the record... you will never hear me say anything vaguely positive about the trains in NY.
I think there is a transit museum at grand central terminal, but I dont think they have marathon medals there ... they might have a display of old subway tokens, though, which isnt that different. They're all shiny things.

For the record ... the transit system here is the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) and they cant manage to get through a single rush hour without major delays on at least 3 lines.

This will be my first full, but since I've always vowed that if I ever run a full, I will run my first at Disney World and since I know there is no Star Wars race in January at Disneyland next year, this makes it a good year.

My debate comes down to Goofy or Dopey. I understand that training is the key to this, but I'm not worried about that. I know I can get the training in because my last few training seasons for Star Wars have been near perfect. Will I regret not doing Dopey if I sign up for Goofy?
You have received many good responses but I figured I would chime in since I am in the exact same boat. To me the real "challenge" is doing a half marathon and full marathon back to back. I don't find adding a 5K and 10K as much of a running challenge than it is a challenge to get up at 3AM 4 days in a row especially since I probably would walk the 5K and most of the 10K if I did those 2 races. Dopey is tempting to say you completed it and to get the extra shirts and medals, all of which comes at a cost. Like you, this may be my only marathon. Honestly, I would probably just do the full if it wasn't for the rest of my family doing the half and I don't want to be left out of that race. At least for this trip, I just can't justify the sleep loss and loss time with my family. If this race is successful, maybe down the road I will entertain doing a Dopey. But for 2019, it is gonna be Goofy for me.

Back to the Goofy/Dopey talk (because my husband has the same dilemma). I am doing my first, and possibly only, Dopey in 2019. I did the marathon in 2017 and it was my first runDisney race so I had no idea what Dopey was. But after seeing the bling and their bags full of shirts, I was instantly jealous. FOMO is real. Thanks to my @DopeyBadger plan, I am confident that this will be a fun race weekend for me!

Waking up that early 4 days in a row is a bummer, but I'm good with naps. And we visit WDW enough to not feel bad about missing park time. We have a DVC at Boulder Ridge so we will have a lot of kid-free relaxation time in between races. DH just isn't as big of a Disney nerd as me and doesn't exactly care if he gets those extra medals. But, he may not be able to handle his wife showing him up with the Dopey so we shall see!

Yes! It's called the NYRR Runcenter, and its on 57th st between 8th ave & 9th ave. They host events, have packet pickup for most of their races (that's why I was there tonight), and they have some cool history stuff on the walls. If you're in the area and have a few minutes, it's worth a short stop.
There are also changing rooms and lockers if you want to drop your stuff and go for a run, plus a new balance store if you need to buy more gear.

https://www.nyrr.org/nyrr-runcenter-featuring-the-new-balance-run-hub

View attachment 324709
View attachment 324711
View attachment 324710

So cool! Thanks for the pics. There's another stop added to the itinerary when NYRR finally lets me into their marathon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter