Hi everyone! I've been running Disney since Wine & Dine 2013, but mostly on the west coast. With the cancellation of the DL races I've had to rethink my race calendar for 2018 and beyond. Unfortunately, it was too late for 2018 Marathon weekend. Princess does not interest me and the dates for Dark Side just don't work for me. As much as I love Wine & Dine (I ran it 3 years in a row), I am holding out for the return of a night race or the 10th Anniversary (2019). So, I decided to stay local in 2018.

I have always wanted to participate in WDW Marathon weekend, but it was too close to SW Light Side (and before that, Tink). I saw the cancellation of the Disneyland races as my big chance! So, my next runDisney weekend will be Marathon Weekend in January 2019! The Pluto themed 5k is a sure thing for this dog lover. For a second race, I'm leaning towards the full marathon. It would most likely be a one-and-done. But, there is nowhere else I would want to run 26.2!

I look forward to following everyone participating this weekend and chatting with all of you in anticipation of next year's event!

Welcome! The 2017 marathon was my first and it’s so much fun! So much, in fact, you might be rethinking your “one and done” stance pretty quickly.

I decided to do next year's marathon, which will be my first marathon (at age 57). I'm doing this year's half, which will be my 4th, all since 2016 (2016 Wine and Dine, 2017 Virginia Wine, 2017 Hershey, 2018 Disney). While I do halfs and 10-milers for time (8:30-8:50 pace), my current plan is to do the full more for fun and not worry too much about time.

Also I wish they'd move registration back to October 8th 2017 or so. For scaredy-cat babies such as myself.
What is this April nonsense????
Yes. I am hoping to sign up for "just" the marathon and know it doesn't usually sell out right away, so I'm debating if I have more time past April to make my final choice.

To be honest...I'm more scared of asking my family for a 5+ day vacation that really isn't one for them...so probably would be me going by myself. So it may be easier to ask them if I can just go to run the full, maybe. It's less about the physical running part than it is about the inconveniencing everyone big time with the expo and the early morning wake-ups and me being a nap-zombie and then wanting to hang with my internet fam. Stuff I am not inconvenienced by at all if I wasn't hung up on making everyone else around me happy.
Sigh...So I got a lot to think about in the next few months.

Now if I can spin it as a "Girls trip" it may be easier. But still...asking for 5 days away is a lot more than just a couple like with Tink. I'd appreciate any help figuring this whole part out.

I appreciate you saying this, because I think it's true for many of us. The runDisney weekends are a different kind of "vacation" for sure.

I’m in for my first ever marathon! At this point I’m too scared to even think of adding on any of the other races.

From my experience (and others on this board) I've found that training for a marathon more than covers training for the Dopey...just throw a few back-to-back training weekends in there!

If I can do it, ANYBODY can do it!

I'm in! I did the 2017 marathon as my first, was also a milestone birthday for me and we made it a family vacation. Really wishing I was there this year. Have a friend with a milestone birthday in 2019 and she wants to run the 2019 as her first to mark the occasion. So, we're making it a girls trip, following roxymama's logic.

We did the Disneyland half this fall and I got the coast to coast and that motivated her (I think).

Last year, I was worried about being swept and it was such a relief to get to HS and know I was going to make it. I trained for over a year to go from being able to run 3 miles to the full. I did several training runs over 20, so I felt well prepared, but still anxious. I've got a few more halves under my belt now, and I'm looking forward to enjoying the next full a bit more, kwim? Looking forward to planning with all of you to discuss running in the cold, the heat, the inevitable setbacks and general encouragement.

Lifting a mug of hot chocolate to all those running 2018!

From my experience (and others on this board) I've found that training for a marathon more than covers training for the Dopey...just throw a few back-to-back training weekends in there!

If I can do it, ANYBODY can do it!

This is what I’m counting on! I have two marathons under my belt (three in April, hopefully). I’m hoping that experience makes doing my first dopey fairly easy.

So I found myself in Target today "eyeing" possible cold weather layers for next year.
Anyone else???

Not Target, but I’ve thought about hitting up Goodwill for throwaway stuff. I have a pretty good supply of warm running layers that I’ll keep.

Not Target, but I’ve thought about hitting up Goodwill for throwaway stuff. I have a pretty good supply of warm running layers that I’ll keep.

I ran the super-frigid 2017 WDW Marathon (starting temp of about 30ish with Wind Chill). Got a throwaway sweat shirt for $3 at the used clothing store before heading to Florida and it was the best $3 I spent.

I ran the super-frigid 2017 WDW Marathon (starting temp of about 30ish with Wind Chill). Got a throwaway sweat shirt for $3 at the used clothing store before heading to Florida and it was the best $3 I spent.

I have thought about finding some bathrobes from Goodwill for that same reason!

Yup. Ran that too. Sacrificed my high school track sweatshirt to that race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter