As far as ADRs, I don't think we'll have too many this year.

Saturday - lunch at Disney Springs (my husband really wants to go back to the polite pig) and dinner at the Port Orleans food court.
Sunday - Race day! Probably Hollywood Studios after the race and quick service (tots with vegan chili at Toy Story Land hopefully)
Monday - Epcot, maybe an ADR for dinner at one of the France restaurants. We had an ADR at Chefs de France last year we had to skip because my husband was sick)
Tuesday - Probably going to Universal
Wednesday - Animal Kingdom, maybe an ADR for Tiffins.
Does Woody’s Lunchbox offer vegetarian chili? I was just going to order the tots sans chili. I mean, who doesn’t love tots!

I appreciate so many taking the time to not just respond, but to share their triumphs and failures. This community goes beyond saying "you can do this." As much as I see jokes around here about enabling each other in the purchase running equipment or registering for a race, the most powerful enabling I see around here is the genuine effort to help each out and realize that we still care even if someone doesn't succeed. I can honestly say that I never seriously considered a marathon until this community made me want to experience it.

@Keels has been giving me the same pep-talk for over a month whenever I bring up registration. It's always along the lines of: You will feel this rush of relief after you sign up and you will learn so much about yourself during training and the race(s) themselves.

If you can dream it, you can do it.
I love the thought about learning during training. Sometimes I need to remember that more often. And Disney motivational quotes always help.

@Sleepless Knight I don't know if this will help, but here is my experience. I signed up for the 2018 marathon as my first marathon. I was really excited, did all the training, got in my 20 mile long run, but still wasn't able to finish the marathon. I had knee issues and just couldn't keep running. I walked as much as I could but the sweepers caught up with me a bit past mile 20. I was definitely really upset at first but looking back, I'm still glad I tried. I feel better about that than giving in to my fears and not trying at all.

I'm scared again about signing up for this year. I'm scared the same thing will happen (though I'm changing up my training, going with a DopeyBadger plan and hoping it will help avoid the over training/injury from last year). But I keep reminding myself that I had a lot of fun while I was on the course, that I enjoyed the training for the most part, and that I was happy to have tried and gotten to mile 20 instead of not trying at all.

Part of my lesson from running is it's ok to try new things that I'm not naturally good at. And even though I continue to be slow and am not a natural runner, I still enjoy it. And I enjoy the race experience. So I am trying to keep this in mind and continue on my journey of letting go of the fear of failure and doing things I like, even if I'm not good at them and even if I might "fail." Failure is in quotes because is it really failure if I enjoy it and it keeps me more active than I would otherwise be?
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. You've helped me see that there is great value in attempting the endeavor even if it doesn't end the way I want it too. I got sick 2 weeks before the 2012 Wine & Dine Half. I feared that could impact my ability to finish the race. A well meaning non runner said "well if you fail, then at least you got a trip to Disney World out of it." But I'd spent so much time focusing on that race. What if I failed? As it turns out, I finished and that trip planted the seed that led to multi race challenge weekends and the concept that the marathon might not be impossible for me. But you being willing to share your experience reminds me that not finishing does not necessarily equate to failure because I would be ignoring all the good that did come beforehand. Best of luck to you also!

I have an intense fear of failure that I pretty much never deal with, so I can't help with that, but I will say this:
There are a whole bunch of people here who are running Dopey. There are people running individual race(s). And every single person here (I hope) wants to see you succeed and see you conquer Dopey. You may struggle, but when you do, remind yourself that we're all rooting for you, and if one of us sees you out on the course, we'd be happy to remind you of that and help re-encourage you.
Only you can conquer your fears, but remember that there are a lot of people here who are confident that you can do it and excited to see you succeed.
Thank you so much. I've never really considered how many people here that I've never met in real life want to see me and so many others succeed as well. I'm also grateful for those that put a tiny part of themselves out there on the internet to say we have fears too instead of all sunshine and roses.

I need to research some of the tours, since the other half is very curious about them and has put up with multiple trips to Disney without having one happen.
Make sure you pay very close attention to how much walking each tour has. I did the Star Wars Guided Tour the day after the 2017 Dark Side Challenge and in retrospect, the date I chose was a mistake. It entailed a lot of walking and combined with the 10K and the half in the previous 2 days, I lived with a nasty blister the rest of the week in Florida. The tour itself was a great experience. I just chose the wrong day. I would have been much better off doing it later in the week after I was more recovered from the races.

understanding how to handle anxiety is part of running's mental aspect. just like coping with fatigue. so try and put this in the context of your overall plan to succeed.

it's important to understand that this 'fear' is a sign that you are recognizing the scale of the undertaking. you are setting a goal that will be challenging and it will require a lot of work and discipline. but it is doable and you have a plan to do it as well as support along the way.

or, to look at it another way, if it were easy, you wouldn't have any worry about it at all. so your anxiety is a sign this undertaking has meaning. reaching your goal will be far more satisfying as a result.
I appreciate this so much. Thank you for helping me to see beyond the number of miles and reminding me of the fear I had before my first half and what I felt afterwards. While finishing my first half is not the most emotional I've been upon finishing a race, I still believe that is the race that taught me the most.

My favorite quotes:
"The hardest step for a runner is the first one out of the front door."
"Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."
"It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop."
"I'm not telling you it’s going to be easy… I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it."
"The only way to define your limits is by going beyond them."

This is all to say that the training will get you there. Find a plan, stick to it, and trust it. Looking back at my hardest races where I didn't achieve what I set out to do, I still never regretted the journey getting there. I was better for attempting every challenge. And in this particular case, the end of the journey is Disney World! :thumbsup2
Thank you for this reminder about perspective. I haven't truly feared failure since finishing my first half. I'm one of those crazy people who went from couch to half. So I suppose I have to work through all the mental hurdles of working up to a distance now. Thank you for helping me see tremendous value in the journey up to the race.

I think we all go through feeling that way. I know I do. The one thing I do is stick to my training plan. The weeks and months of training is the hardest part of the journey. If you can commit to the training then the races are just the final steps in your journey. You have all of us here cheering you on no matter what you decide!!,
I'm running out of ways to say thank you. I hope they come across as sincere as I want them to. The good news for me is that November and December are very good times of the year to have to deal with longer training runs. I can be somewhat obsessive over training, but it's clear in reading so many responses that I need to not worry as much as I am and remember what the training leads up to.

I have a hard time not tossing out 'fear leads to the dark side' or 'fear keeps the local systems in line.'
But seriously, fear keeps people from doing hard things, we are built to keep ourselves safe. Having a trail to the target )in this case a training plan) and perspective (you have decided to run new long distances in the past, you have done many non-running hard things in the past) are helpful. Find these things. Keep them somewhere- post it on the fridge, screen shot of a post-it note list on your phone to check when you are out and about thinking about it, whatever.
When I signed up for my first 10K I really wondered if I could have a heart attack or other ridiculous scenarios. I was so nervous I would become sick to my stomach. I found my things- I can push a stroller miles, and at a decent clip, I can finish this distance! I had more time to train than I needed to grow people, I can train for this! And the one that put me over the top- I want to be healthy and do so many things in life, I never thought I would get as far as I have, cue 'How Far I'll Go.' It took me some calm rational breathing to come up with these, and they were helpful for keeping me calm when I would dread going out to run in snow, think I was wasting money on a plane ticket, or whatever else got into my head.
Find the reasons you want this. Find the path to possibility. And recognize that while not finishing is possible, Disney may be the most amazingly fun place to cut a run short- thus not really a failure.
You just had to go and quote Yoda to me. And then throw a different Star Wars quote in there. My avatar should make it obvious I'm crazy about Star Wars. Perhaps literally crazy. But mostly I love your statement about finding the reasons why I want this. I'm not sure I have truly identified those yet beyond wondering if I can and what crossing the finish line of a marathon actually feels like.

I know a lot on here have heard this story before, so please bear with it one more time as I pass it along to @Sleepless Knight. I started running seriously in early 2015 with the goal of running a half marathon in Disney. I found I enjoyed running very much and due to missing out on Wine & Dine, which sold out, I ended up with Marathon Weekend as my first runDisney race. I had run my first half marathon in June, 2015 and registered for the 10k & half of MW over the summer. January, 2016 was the 3rd anniversary of my deciding to lose weight and I somehow decided I'd try to commemorate that anniversary by attempting the marathon, too. I had all fall to train and, you know, bucket list things, after all.

Long story short(ish), I tore my hamstring in a September half marathon and was unable to run at all for almost two months. It was close to Thanksgiving before I was cleared to run again with slowly progressing intervals to rehab the muscle. I had just made it back up to 10-12 miles in training when Marathon Weekend rolled around. I stuck to my intervals for the 10k and half and had really good races, all things considered, but then it was time for the marathon.

I was tired from the first two races. I was scared of the distance and not being trained for it. I wasn't sure if I was actually going to try it right up until race start. Standing in the corrals listening to Jeff Galloway talk about respecting the distance and how challenging the heat and humidity were going to be on the day just fed the fear. I almost walked out of the corral and didn't start. But I did, thinking I could quit if things got too bad. I stuck to my intervals and felt my legs complaining all the way through the Magic Kingdom. Somewhere around that point, I got a second wind, my legs stopped hurting and I was able to lose myself in the experience. It was a thrill to finish. I wouldn't trade that feeling for anything else in the world and I've been chasing that feeling ever since.

It's also hard to explain and quantify what completing that marathon has meant on a personal level. It has been a boost to my self confidence in just about everything I do. I'm far less afraid of unknowns and trying new things since that point. That "bucket list" item to "see if I can do it" has also become 4 completed marathons with a 5th and an ultra scheduled for the fall. I just got a bike and am looking at trying an IM70.3. All would have been unheard of for me pre-marathon.

Only you can control the fears that you're facing right now. They're normal, though. I think just about everyone goes through them before their first marathons. That fear is one of the mental flames that you have to step through to come out a stronger, more tempered person on the other side. But if you stick with it, I think the benefits will far outweigh the uncertainties, fears and discomfort that you overcome to get there. They certainly have for me.
Thank you for taking the time to recount your story to me even though you may have felt a bit bad about others having to read it again. It was new to me and helped me visualize past moments in races and dealing with them on a larger scale.

Fear leads to the Dark Side. Do or Do not, there is not try. You must unlearn what you have learned.

But, seriously don't let fear control you, let it motivate you. Let it be what you can squash! I feared in 2016 I wouldn't finish the marathon as part of Dopey, but I kept one foot in front of the other & did it. So, may people on course out there that will help and motivate you, You won't be alone. And, so can you! Put motivational signs up all over your home. Have a giant print of Yoda taunting you with his quotes!
Should I get one for the office too? Because I already have one called The Wisdom of Yoda hanging up at home. But seriously, I'll see that poster in a new way tonight.

this is a very good suggestion. visualization is a recognized strategy for athletic success. elite runners regularly use it to improve their performance. we can use it reach our own specific goals (and battle mental obstacles that may be holding us back). bob glover has a very good explanation of the process in "the runner's handbook."
Maybe this isn't the kind of visualization you meant, but during the training for my very first half, I often thought about what it would feel like to walk around Disneyland after the race wearing the medal. It helped me power through the training when I didn't want to.

So last week I was having second thoughts. After a day or two to clear my head, I realized I was okay with it. Now today with registration tomorrow, I'm getting scared. Now keep in mind this is fear as opposed to second thoughts. More like, I want to do this, but I fear failure. So if anyone wants to help a brother out, I appreciate all the past experience dealing with that fear and not letting it control me.

BLUF (bottom line up front): DNF > DNS

Here's what you should really fear: being 90 years old, in a wheelchair, and wondering 'Could I have run a marathon?'

You can finish it, but you have to sign up first. It might be one-and-done. You can figure that out after you finish. BTW, your answer at the finish line and a week later might be different.

Does Woody’s Lunchbox offer vegetarian chili? I was just going to order the tots sans chili. I mean, who doesn’t love tots!

Yep! There's also vegan chili for the nachos at Dockside. I don't know why they don't put it on the menu so people can find the information without scouring the internet. https://vegandisneyworld.com/vegan-options/vegan-hollywood-studios/

Yes, I'm so excited about it at Woody's! I've heard it's the same exact chili as Dockside, which I thought it was pretty good! It's got soy crumbles in it.

Should I get one for the office too? Because I already have one called The Wisdom of Yoda hanging up at home. But seriously, I'll see that poster in a new way tonight.
Yes, more Yoda the better! He is very wise! If training gets tough picture yourself with him on your back, egging you on! I go for any motivation no matter how out there!

Last edited:
Hey everybody - quick registration question (that I'm sure has been answered previously... so apologies in advance). For the Dopey, what do they ask as far as pace or finish time? They just ask for one type of race, correct? I know I put in my POT later - I'm just asking for registration day. Thanks!

Hey everybody - quick registration question (that I'm sure has been answered previously... so apologies in advance). For the Dopey, what do they ask as far as pace or finish time? They just ask for one type of race, correct? I know I put in my POT later - I'm just asking for registration day. Thanks!
For Dopey, one estimated time for your marathon finish is all. And then proof is one race - 10 miler, half or full. You can put it in at time of registration as well if you have it.

BLUF (bottom line up front): DNF > DNS

Here's what you should really fear: being 90 years old, in a wheelchair, and wondering 'Could I have run a marathon?'

You can finish it, but you have to sign up first. It might be one-and-done. You can figure that out after you finish. BTW, your answer at the finish line and a week later might be different.
I love this. I was pretty sure that my first half was going to be my last half. I had done it and it was difficult and I didn't want to go through that again. But I decided I wanted the Coast to Coast medal so I put up with training to get it. And turned out to have a far more enjoyable race experience the 2nd and 3rd times.

For Dopey, one estimated time for your marathon finish is all. And then proof is one race - 10 miler, half or full. You can put it in at time of registration as well if you have it.
For my own sake, my best proof of time is a 3:06 half at Disneyland in 2017. I just don't want to be in the last corral. Am I better off putting down less than 6 hours (say 5:45 to 6:00) with no proof or my 3:06? I just don't want the last corral for buffer reasons and more importantly, I usually feel like the last corral is too slow even for me.

For my own sake, my best proof of time is a 3:06 half at Disneyland in 2017. I just don't want to be in the last corral. Am I better off putting down less than 6 hours (say 5:45 to 6:00) with no proof or my 3:06? I just don't want the last corral for buffer reasons and more importantly, I usually feel like the last corral is too slow even for me.
Yes put whatever is the first one that says no proof required. I wouldn’t bother with putting your 3:06 at all, it’s not needed.

this is a very good suggestion. visualization is a recognized strategy for athletic success. elite runners regularly use it to improve their performance. we can use it reach our own specific goals (and battle mental obstacles that may be holding us back). bob glover has a very good explanation of the process in "the runner's handbook."
It really helps when a run is feeling lousy and I'm not into it. Start visualizing how the finish line is going to feel, having my family there, the rush of knowing I've achieved my goal, etc. Because let's face it, not every training run feels great. But that time I can spend in my own head, visualizing the future, sometimes helps with getting through the present when I am really not into it.

Make sure you pay very close attention to how much walking each tour has. I did the Star Wars Guided Tour the day after the 2017 Dark Side Challenge and in retrospect, the date I chose was a mistake. It entailed a lot of walking and combined with the 10K and the half in the previous 2 days, I lived with a nasty blister the rest of the week in Florida. The tour itself was a great experience. I just chose the wrong day. I would have been much better off doing it later in the week after I was more recovered from the races.
I managed to book the Backstage Magic tour today, which is the one he wants to do. We'll be doing that on Thursday, after the 5k, and I'll probably plan on packing wipes so we can clean up (if necessary) after the race without having to go back to our hotel and make it back to Epcot. The biggest issue is they want closed toe/closed heel shoes, which means I finally have a good excuse to buy the Oofo sneakers I've been eyeing since my hiking boots started to give me issues. (They won't give me blisters, but I'd still rather not wear them during marathon weekend, and I live in Oofos on a regular basis.)

This will be the 3rd trip since he expressed wanting to do one of the tours and I can't not make it happen. We leave Monday morning after the marathon for the cruise (so I can get my Castaway Cay Challenge!) so there are kind of limited options as it is in terms of dates. On the other hand, I'm used to doing a lot on my feet.

Yes put whatever is the first one that says no proof required. I wouldn’t bother with putting your 3:06 at all, it’s not needed.

runDisney website says this:

Runners will be placed in the last corral if the appropriate race distance is not submitted for Proof of Time.

I believe submitting POT is always better than not submitting, and estimate honestly based on the POT, either the POT in hand, or a reasonable POT before the cut-off.

Who's ready for tomorrow!?
I went through a test registration tonight using Wine & Dine and for some reason the only things I can register for are the kids races and the chEAR squad package. Did Wine & Dine sell out? Or is the runDisney website having issues?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!