Enjoy the atmosphere is always my main goal with rundisney races.
Have running be fun.
Run through the big castle (I've only ran through the mini-castle in CA)
Be a dork/goofball/disgeek with my friend.
Hug my dad after I finish.
Dress like a Tiki bird...tikidrink...Tiki dole whip fan...parrot...pirate parrot..Tiki pirate parrot??? Etc
High five a lot of people

Try starting with a pace group 15 min slower than your predicted fitness level on race day. I did that at a National park half marathon because my group was doing a big hike the next day, and it worked for me. I did speed up for the last few miles because I felt so great, but my legs were still in much better condition than several of my friends.

I like that idea- great tip! Thank you!

Enjoy the atmosphere is always my main goal with rundisney races.
Have running be fun.
Run through the big castle (I've only ran through the mini-castle in CA)
Be a dork/goofball/disgeek with my friend.
Hug my dad after I finish.
Dress like a Tiki bird...tikidrink...Tiki dole whip fan...parrot...pirate parrot..Tiki pirate parrot??? Etc
High five a lot of people
I love the tiki idea.

I want to arrive healthy, stay healthy, love my runs, celebrate getting my sisters through their first halfs, and get that finish line feeling.

I did some thinking on the treadmill this morning.
SAFD:
1 - Finish the marathon (or at the very least get swept in line for a very good character ... but preferably finish)
2 - Run the race I woke up to run. I can set all of these grand ambitious plans about my time goals and (more importantly) my character goals, but ... I have to run whatever race feels right that day, whether that's what I planned or not.
3 - Make an appearance at at least one DISmeet. Committing to more than that may be too much for me, but I'm leaving the possibility of more open. But at least one.

SAFD- Goals
(1) arrive as scheduled [looking at you, Delta]
(2) remain calm as the above is unlikely based on previous trips to either North American Disney parks
(3) remember that a day at Disney without kids is not something to be guilty about, and that I do not need to do everything as I am going to run the next day
(4) Show up for half marathon in enough time to have a cup of coffee and go to the bathroom before the start [previous rD fail]
(5) Enjoy the run, enjoy the company if I run with a friend, take in the scenery, enjoy my body being able to keep in motion, reflect on my ability to take time to train for it, to pay for it, to have family to watch my kids [who are likely in bed but having a great weekend] so I can go without them, bask in sunrise and a totally different climate. It is a privileged to be able to run this event.
(6) finish the run. No time goals at this point, just go. If I keep myself healthy and maintain the current fitness, I will finish. If I get on board with an actual structured plan, I will be better off!
(7) keep moving all day.... at least until bedtime!

Tell me about your diet. Anyone here on the Keto diet and IF?

I am keto/low carb and IF everyday, eating window 11:00 am to 7:00 pm.

I stopped for Everest unplanned last year with the balloon ladies 30 minutes behind me and still had time to stop in Mexico for a margarita to cross the finish line with. It was so ridiculous and fun

You must have been right around me cuz I also rode Everest with the balloon ladies 30 minutes behind me and I stopped in Italy for an Italian Frozen Margarita to cross the finish line with. :)

SAFD: To not get sick (again)!

Soooo... Talked to DD28 yesterday and now we are considering Dopey again (we haven't registered yet, feeling safe as had planned on the marathon as a stand alone race this year).... sigh. FOMO is real.

In classic RD fashion- here is the response I received. I asked point blank about race retreat and early entry- not about Chear Squads.
I thought the Runners World VIP program was gone.
What could he be talking about? I did ask for clarification.

I think I am going to purchase access for Marathon morning and enjoy that for what it is. Early access or not.

Dear Beverly,

Were excited to offer exclusive early access to the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo for the upcoming event weekend. However, this offer is only available to those participants that have registered for the VIP Race Retreat Package. Participants that are taking part in other offerings, such as our ChEAR Squad packages, are unfortunately not able to take part in this opportunity. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

Beverly, we appreciate your understanding and look forward to seeing you soon.

Best regards,
Luke Mendes
Guest Experience Services

Marathon Weekend Goals:

My goals are right in line with what I have seen from others about having fun and staying healthy. But here are my 2 main goals:

1) Getting that Goofy medal is probably the number 1 goal which of course means finishing the marathon which will be my first ever. I am running the marathon by myself and I haven't decided if I am going to try to "run" it or just take it easy and try to enjoy the experience. I think with all variables being equal, it will end up being be a combination/balance between the two. I just don’t know what that means yet. But my number 2 goal may impact how I approach the marathon:

2) My wife and kids are just doing the half. My kids are both flying back directly to their respective colleges Sunday evening as both start their second semesters on Monday 1/14/19. So a big goal/challenge will be figuring out a way to balance having fun with them in the parks all week, during the half marathon and in the parks after the race on Saturday while not burning myself out for the marathon on Sunday.

Here is the 2nd response.

Dear Beverly,

Thank you for your response. The VIP Race Retreat Package should be available for the event weekend.

Wishing you a magical day!

Race Retreat details are now on the website. No mention of early access to the expo. I think I’ll be skipping it unless things change.

7A963A42-63F4-4BF5-883F-1DAFB2B1F5EB.png

With that in mind, this week's Sundays are for Disney is all about goals ... what are your for the weekend? These can be anything you want and don't feel like you have to stick to running or rattle off specific paces, times, etc. Instead, what does a fun and successful marathon weekend look like for you?
I'm doing the 5K, 10K and marathon this time...

5K & 10K goal: have fun, take it easy, hang out with friends and take lots of silly pics
Marathon goal: arrive to the start healthy and ready to tackle it. Beyond that, it'll be one of two things - A. see if I can nab another PR (I had one this year with some photo stops, so in theory, simply not stopping should make for a new PR), or B. ride EE, TOT or RnR (EE make me nervous - not sure I want to lose time that early in the race, just in case, but EE and RnR could have long waits). I have a feeling I won't know if it's A or B until I line up at the start!

Well...got an email back from RunDisney about race retreat and early expo access.
View attachment 338983

In classic RD fashion- here is the response I received. I asked point blank about race retreat and early entry- not about Chear Squads.
I thought the Runners World VIP program was gone.
What could he be talking about? I did ask for clarification.

I think I am going to purchase access for Marathon morning and enjoy that for what it is. Early access or not.

Dear Beverly,

Were excited to offer exclusive early access to the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo for the upcoming event weekend. However, this offer is only available to those participants that have registered for the VIP Race Retreat Package. Participants that are taking part in other offerings, such as our ChEAR Squad packages, are unfortunately not able to take part in this opportunity. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause.

Beverly, we appreciate your understanding and look forward to seeing you soon.

Best regards,
Luke Mendes
Guest Experience Services

Here is the 2nd response.

Dear Beverly,

Thank you for your response. The VIP Race Retreat Package should be available for the event weekend.

Wishing you a magical day!
Mixed messages for sure! But, with the Expo opening earlier than last year and the VIP Race Retreat description on the runDisney page saying nothing about early entry, my guess is no early entry this year. Fortunately, that was just a bonus and not a deciding factor for me.

Goals:
1. Already mentioned, stay healthy and have fun. I am determined to be disciplined with training. So far I am keeping this goal.
2. My main goal is to finally achieve running the entire Dopey event which wasn’t possible during my 2017 attempt due to the half being canceled.
3. Making sure to enjoy the half because my husband will be running it with me. He is looking forward to running through MK.

I always enjoy running Disney runs even with the very early start times. Marathon weekend is my favorite running event.

SAFD - great topic!

My goals:
  • Finish my first (and only?) Dopey
  • Balance time in the parks with races, race prep and plenty of rest
  • Be able to get sufficient sleep
  • Not feel so rushed in the parks - really try and soak up the experience
  • Enjoy our time at BCV (this will be our first time staying in anything outside of a Value resort)
  • Enjoy some table service dining that I wouldn't normally do on a trip with the kids
  • Ensure to get sufficient time on all the big rides/lands that I have yet to experience (Pandora, Toy Story Land, Frozen Ever After)
  • Enjoy celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary!
  • Hopefully run into some of you (not literally! ;))

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter