I only have 3 fair days left so that won't be too hard ;)

The food in the Wisconsin Pavillion can go home with you for later consumption though. Apple and cheery pie, apple donuts, apple and cherry turnovers, chocolate covered cherries, cherry pie, cheeses, cranberries, honey, cranberry cannoli, maple cotton candy, goat milk Carmel’s...the list can go on. We actually talked about going back to get more, but decided that 5+ hours round trip and two nasty construction zones each way wasn’t worth it.

The food in the Wisconsin Pavillion can go home with you for later consumption though. Apple and cheery pie, apple donuts, apple and cherry turnovers, chocolate covered cherries, cherry pie, cheeses, cranberries, honey, cranberry cannoli, maple cotton candy, goat milk Carmel’s...the list can go on. We actually talked about going back to get more, but decided that 5+ hours round trip and two nasty construction zones each way wasn’t worth it.
Good point! I usually don’t get the bakery in there though. I go for the grilled cheese, baked potato and ice cream sundaes.

Thanks everyone! I think I am definitely going to do it so I don't feel like I have to make the trek back to AK for one ride later during the trip. It's the only one I would do during the race except MAYBE ToT if I have time. But I will cross that line when I get there. This actually got me really excited and a little panicked. Haha.

All of the POT is kind of bumming me out. My 10-Mile time was 1:57:02, so just barely off the cutoff, but under the cutoff time we thought at the time. I feel confident that I could get under the necessary cut-off now, but don't really have any weekends open that have races within reasonable driving distance before October. *Sigh*

Thanks everyone! I think I am definitely going to do it so I don't feel like I have to make the trek back to AK for one ride later during the trip. It's the only one I would do during the race except MAYBE ToT if I have time. But I will cross that line when I get there. This actually got me really excited and a little panicked. Haha.
Think of it this way. Ride EE and then only about two miles until McDonald’s!

All of the POT is kind of bumming me out. My 10-Mile time was 1:57:02, so just barely off the cutoff, but under the cutoff time we thought at the time. I feel confident that I could get under the necessary cut-off now, but don't really have any weekends open that have races within reasonable driving distance before October. *Sigh*
If it helps... I won't have PoT for the 2019 marathon. I didn't have a PoT for Dopey this year or last year. Entered the fastest finish time I could with no PoT necessary, corralled in the first no-PoT needed corral, and had a great race each time. Heck, I even scored a 20-minute PR this year!

Can you scan the photo to your magicband without it having actually scanned into the park?

In case anyone is running without their MagicBand, you can also go to one of the Photopass shops and they can track down your photo as long as you have an idea what time you rode the ride. I was staying with friends so I didn't wear my MagicBand during the marathon this year, but I was able to get my photo added to my account later that day while at MK.

Ugh. Okay. Thanks Panda. Obviously this is fine but in my head I don't want to run for 6 hours but who knows how I will feel by Marathon day after 3 early mornings and probably late nights and booze.

I didn’t know how I’d feel after I did it either but I actually felt great coming out of it.

Yep. I actually got a HUGE energy rush from riding it during Dopey in January. I was kind of flagging a bit as we entered AK and I think I even said to Chris I was worried about how the next half of the race was going to go. I got a huge adrenaline rush from the ride that sustained me for many miles right after that and in truth, I felt pretty good for the rest of the marathon.

Also, I did not pause my Garmin and it got me a sort of awesome course map segment.

And my ride photo showed up in my memory maker account without my doing anything because I was wearing my MagicBand.

@rteetz (aka Panda) and I were riding right around the same time. I think it might have been around 9:15 or so when we got there?? I originally got in Single rider line but the CM said standby was actually moving faster, so I turned around and got in that line. I think it was a 15 minute wait or so.

So reading the last few pages got me thinking about the POT races. I am running a race this month that is a official race with times posted online. I am currently unsure it the event is chip timed. Is it required or does anyone have any experience with this? I have a back up race that I registered for later on but you never know what could happen for either races. The second race is Oct 7 and POT is due Oct 9. It's cutting it a little close.

I think this version of the chart should be easier to read and interpret.

View attachment 342562

Thanks for putting this together @DopeyBadger ! It has given me some confirmation for my two 10 mile races coming up. The first one I am aiming 1:30:00 which would put me in C if I hit it. The second race I am currently aiming for 1:20:00 first weekend of October which would move me up to B if all of this info stands. I really wish I could get back to my 1:12:42 10 miler PR to submit for a A spot again. Maybe if things go perfect I can run a sub 8 pace by October... Just maybe!

I cannot ride EE on a normal day, let alone while running a marathon. :duck: The McDonald's stop sounds like something I'd be interested in though! :thumbsup2

I would ride the coaster way before I did anything at McDonald's. No way I could eat something there and it not result in disaster is some shape or form. I love EE, but doubt I would stop.

So reading the last few pages got me thinking about the POT races. I am running a race this month that is a official race with times posted online. I am currently unsure it the event is chip timed. Is it required or does anyone have any experience with this? I have a back up race that I registered for later on but you never know what could happen for either races. The second race is Oct 7 and POT is due Oct 9. It's cutting it a little close.

This was recently discussed in a Facebook group I'm in. Someone posted that their POT was rejected for not being a chip-timed race. I'm not sure if they confirmed with Disney that that was the reason or if that's just their assumption. But I wouldn't risk it. They ended up in the last corral.

Looks pretty darn close to me. A 4:57:08 and 5:00:12 is what I came up with, with the assumed 1.08 conversion. So the chart isn't perfect, but I don't assume it to be. But, I believe it's a reasonably close representation.
So instead of "reasonably close representation,” what I read is 'maybe an improvement of 4 minutes is just as good as an improvement of 5.'
Because we all read what we want to :)
And I am going to run a fall 10K anyhow to see how it goes, so now I need to ask about POT. For two consecutive weekends I can find a 10K. Both say chipped, one says USATF certified while the other is USATF sanctioned. Does this matter to rD?

Last edited:
This was recently discussed in a Facebook group I'm in. Someone posted that their POT was rejected for not being a chip-timed race. I'm not sure if they confirmed with Disney that that was the reason or if that's just their assumption. But I wouldn't risk it. They ended up in the last corral.

It was killing me to know the answer one way or the other so I emailed runDisney for a answer. Since its 5:00 PM Eastern time I doubt I will get an answer until late tomorrow or maybe Monday. Since I have nothing currently I will probably submit whatever that result is until my second race. Hopefully the second race is a much better time since its a bit more of a formal race that does not have any gray area in regards to submitting results. I'll update once I get a email from runDisney. Thanks!

Yep. I actually got a HUGE energy rush from riding it during Dopey in January. I was kind of flagging a bit as we entered AK and I think I even said to Chris I was worried about how the next half of the race was going to go. I got a huge adrenaline rush from the ride that sustained me for many miles right after that and in truth, I felt pretty good for the rest of the marathon.

Also, I did not pause my Garmin and it got me a sort of awesome course map segment.

And my ride photo showed up in my memory maker account without my doing anything because I was wearing my MagicBand.

@rteetz (aka Panda) and I were riding right around the same time. I think it might have been around 9:15 or so when we got there?? I originally got in Single rider line but the CM said standby was actually moving faster, so I turned around and got in that line. I think it was a 15 minute wait or so.
Yep I rode right before you. I saw Chris at the exit but missed you!

And I am going to run a fall 10K anyhow to see how it goes, so now I need to ask about POT. For two consecutive weekends I can find a 10K. Both say chipped, one says USATF certified while the other is USATF sanctioned. Does this matter to rD?

I didn't even realize this could be a potential problem! I signed up for a 10K for POT thinking I just needed to make sure the results were available online. I've never done this race before, and it doesn't say anything about how the race is timed. :worried: It does say that the course is USATF certified and sanctioned. I honestly just thought all races were chipped, but now I know better. Hopefully this one is, if not I might not have a POT at all...

26 minutes? Wow, that's not bad at all! I've skipped EE so far in my 3 WDW marathons firstly because I've been stuck on it once and it took nearly an hour to be released - and I am in no way fast enough to make that up in a race, and secondly because I really thought it would tack an extra 30+ minutes to my time. I'm still not sure I'm ready to risk getting stuck, but it's good to know if all goes well, I could handle the extra time it takes to ride!
Remembering the risk of getting stuck is enough to dissuade me from trying it. Based on my recent best time, I figure 6:15 to 6:30 is about what it will take me to run a marathon.

I would ride the coaster way before I did anything at McDonald's. No way I could eat something there and it not result in disaster is some shape or form. I love EE, but doubt I would stop.
I love the idea of going on a ride during a race, but the ride breakdown risk is too great for me given my pace. I would hate to get swept because I got stuck on a ride I've ridden many times before. I'll find other unique things to do during my first marathon. It's at Disney World so I'm sure there will be plenty of options that work with my pace. I love the idea of a snack from World Showcase. It's near the end so less risk of disaster during the race. Plus, I think that if I make it to World Showcase, I should be safe. But correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't even realize this could be a potential problem! I signed up for a 10K for POT thinking I just needed to make sure the results were available online. I've never done this race before, and it doesn't say anything about how the race is timed. :worried: It does say that the course is USATF certified and sanctioned. I honestly just thought all races were chipped, but now I know better. Hopefully this one is, if not I might not have a POT at all...

With the race having the credentials listed I would be surprised if it was not chipped. The race I am running is a night time trail run so my expectations are low for it being a usable race but would try it if I had nothing else. Like I mentioned I have another race that I know for sure meets all the requirements and they responded to my email saying results will be posted by the end of the day of the race so no problems there. The night race will likely turn out to be a interesting training run, but as fast I can run at that point.

With the race having the credentials listed I would be surprised if it was not chipped. The race I am running is a night time trail run so my expectations are low for it being a usable race but would try it if I had nothing else. Like I mentioned I have another race that I know for sure meets all the requirements and they responded to my email saying results will be posted by the end of the day of the race so no problems there. The night race will likely turn out to be a interesting training run, but as fast I can run at that point.
Thank you for the reassurance! How are races timed if they don't use chips?? 10K races are hard to find, so I think this race will be my only shot for POT before the deadline. It makes me nervous, but it is what it is! That night time race does sound interesting! Good luck!

Thank you for the reassurance! How are races timed if they don't use chips?? 10K races are hard to find, so I think this race will be my only shot for POT before the deadline. It makes me nervous, but it is what it is! That night time race does sound interesting! Good luck!

To be fair, runDisney states it must be "officially timed," not "chip-timed." I think an official timing machine (like all certified races prior to chip timing) would work just as well - and these machines are very accurate. The only downside is that your time starts at the gun, not when you cross the start line, so get up front if you are going for POT and the race doesn't have chip timing.

By the way, most results websites don't state whether they are chip-timed or not; therefore, it would be hard for rD to tell. They would have to look to the timing company. Obviously, if the results list clock time/net time, they would know, but many of the local races here just list one finish time (usually the chip-time).

As long as results are online you will be fine. They just need a link that goes to official results.

I know we have talked meals before, but do you recommend the larger meal for LUNCH the day before the marathon? Or for DINNER?
I prefer a larger lunch as well.

More proof that riding rides mid-marathon is not for me: I usually stopwatch my waits (well, sometimes), and I don't think I can stopwatch and GPS record at the same time. Gotta investigate this.
Not for me either. My stomach would be a big nope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter