Marathon Weekend 2019

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by lhermiston, Jan 3, 2018.

1. pixarmom

pixarmom DIS Veteran

This is killing me. Now I really want to run the WDW half again before my Last Call Half POT from December expires!!!

For me, Brewers Mini results in a "not-training-much, but running regularly" time. As much as I don't love the course, I bet you finish it more quickly than a race with character stops.

rteetz and DopeyBadger like this.
  2. Livelovedance

Livelovedance Mouseketeer

Thanks for the information! I looked further into the race I'm doing and found last year's results, which do include a chip time. I panicked for nothing lol. Good to know though, because I haven't done any races before that don't use chip timing. I wouldn't be able to use a race without chip timing for POT - I'm not fast and definitely don't belong up front with the elites!

LSUlakes likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. TCB in FLA

TCB in FLA DIS Veteran

Just in case you get to EE a bit too early to ride, the bar right outside open much earlier than the ride (a fact I learned here!). And then there’s photogs .1 mile later. So a win-win.

5. Smilelea

Smilelea Mouseketeer

All of this talk about improving POT has me looking for another 10K before the cutoff date. Well, the only one I can find, that doesn't require I drive 2 or more hours one way, is the same weekend that we will be at Disney. Looks like Corral E for me.

I'm also not so sure that I could improve by more than 2 mins anyways. I guess we shall see in a couple of weeks when I run my mock 10K.

On a happier note - it looks like I'm going to get to run the Castaway 5K next year. DH just booked us on our first Disney cruise. Woohoo!

6. jennamfeo

jennamfeo Powered by Pizza

OMG YES. Duh. I feel like @Keels mentioned this too. So now I am going to plan to get there early, have a drink, ride EE, then remember that I am running a Marathon and go on my happy way. Hahahaha. That should make for a fun picture.

sourire, lhermiston and TCB in FLA like this.
  7. Keels

Keels The Official Keels of RunDisney

I drank my beer in line for EE last year and this year.

8. rteetz

rteetz Rumors and News Moderator Moderator

Yeah that’s all I’m really looking for.

pixarmom likes this.
  9. rteetz

I can’t do that yet... :sad2:

LSUlakes likes this.
  10. Dis5150

Dis5150 DIS Veteran

I always thought that too and said I would never stop. But last year I was so sick and doubted I would even finish. So I stopped for lots of characters, rode EE, then stopped for a frozen Italian margarita in Italy to cross the finish line with. I think my time was 7:12? All my other marathons are just under 6:00 (5:55). We had a texting group from people on here and they kept me updated where the balloon ladies were. And even though I was sick I had a blast! :)

11. jennamfeo

jennamfeo Powered by Pizza

We can share one. ;)

LSUlakes, Princess KP and rteetz like this.
  12. rteetz

Works for me!

LSUlakes and jennamfeo like this.
  13. Sleepless Knight

Sleepless Knight Jedi Knight Seeking His Jedi Princess

I definitely want to stop for photos and possibly some characters depending on the length of the line. My sole concern about stopping for a ride is what if the ride breaks down. I know that I can maintain the required pace if I needed to hang out with the ballon ladies in order to finish. But if I'm stuck on a ride that broke down when they pass? It's over.

PrincessV likes this.
  14. opusone

opusone Imagineer Wanna Be

I know it's a day early for face paint, but it's hard to tell your age behind a Panda face... just sayin'

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  15. rteetz

True that but I’m not running in face paint.

Princess_Nikki and opusone like this.
  16. Dis5150

Dis5150 DIS Veteran

I totally get you. That was why I didn't ever stop before. It was just my unique circumstance of being ill and not really caring (totally a result of the sickness because I would have cared if I didn't finish!) about the race at that moment. Just sharing my story. :)

17. Princess_Nikki

Princess_Nikki DIS Veteran

Not yet, you aren’t! Careful, that planted seed could turn into something! Bahahahahaha!!!

LSUlakes likes this.
  18. PrincessV

PrincessV DIS Veteran

I'm totally with you on this. I feel sure a day will come when I'm willing to risk it, but I'm not sure I'm there yet. I wish EE was late in the race, or that RnR or ToT took less time - I'd feel much safer doing a ride later in the race! I'd also be cool with doing something dorky and less likely to get stuck for a long time... TriceraTop Spin might be my go-to, lol!

19. lhermiston

lhermiston DIS Veteran

I’m envious of all of you who have already figured out your race plans, because I have no idea how I’m going to approach my first Dopey. I’m fairly confident in where I’ll be corralled and that I probably won’t be shooting for any PRs.

Having fun and getting photos and video are my main priorities, but how I go about that is up in the air. I’ll probably run alone, but I’m not opposed to running with people. I’ll do character stops on a case by case basis. I’m down for imbibing during the marathon, but probably won’t do any rides.

I’ve thought about getting a cheap adventure camera and harness to get some footage, but I’ve never tried that and it kind of defeats the purpose of having a costume. Anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Anyway, I’m fickle, so I don’t know if I’ll commit to any race approaches until the day of. I’ll just try to make sure I’m appropriately trained for anything.

20. CDKG

CDKG Mouseketeer

I assume training strategies followed by racing strategies will be inspiring upcoming questions of the week? I mean...we only have 151 days... We have to start thinking about these things. Right?

21. lhermiston

lhermiston DIS Veteran

They sure can, though the success of the training strategies can dictate racing strategies and might be better suited for a SAFD closer to the race. Any proposals for how to phrase those questions?

jennamfeo likes this.