Was this the Waco one? If so, no roller coaster AND you're in Waco so double disappointing.
Lol, no. It was actually Little Rock, which is just about as disappointing, although the marathon medal is fantastic! :)

I’m envious of all of you who have already figured out your race plans, because I have no idea how I’m going to approach my first Dopey. I’m fairly confident in where I’ll be corralled and that I probably won’t be shooting for any PRs.

Having fun and getting photos and video are my main priorities, but how I go about that is up in the air. I’ll probably run alone, but I’m not opposed to running with people. I’ll do character stops on a case by case basis. I’m down for imbibing during the marathon, but probably won’t do any rides.

I’ve thought about getting a cheap adventure camera and harness to get some footage, but I’ve never tried that and it kind of defeats the purpose of having a costume. Anyone have any experience or recommendations?

Anyway, I’m fickle, so I don’t know if I’ll commit to any race approaches until the day of. I’ll just try to make sure I’m appropriately trained for anything.
I have no idea how I'll run Goofy, most likely game day decisions on character stopping & even how I'll run, like mile by mile decisions. When I did Dopey or any Disney race weekends, it was the same way, day of deciding. I do run with a small waterproof camera, I hand hold most the time. It's like a deck of cards and I hardly notice I have it. I do have a gopro but don't like anyway to wear it, on my head no way, harness no way.

I have no idea how I'll run Goofy, most likely game day decisions on character stopping & even how I'll run, like mile by mile decisions. When I did Dopey or any Disney race weekends, it was the same way, day of deciding. I do run with a small waterproof camera, I hand hold most the time. It's like a deck of cards and I hardly notice I have it. I do have a gopro but don't like anyway to wear it, on my head no way, harness no way.

Yeah, I have a water proof point-and-shoot I could bring, but it’s a little clunky. And the thing with an adventure cam is I’d have to train with it several times to make sure it all works and, would I use it again? Maybe for hiking.

I've had questions on the whole ride rides option during the marathon - so all this discussion has been really helpful to understand it better, so thanks everybody.

One question on POT - the link I provided in registration for the marathon I ran last year was just the main link to the results page of that specific marathon. RD would still need to type my name in to prove that what I listed as my POT is correct. The link doesn't differentiate between anyone's specific race time, it just gives all the results but you then type your name in on the "search" feature and it shows your result. I tried making the link work for just my result, but apparently it doesn't work that way. Should I be concerned?

I've had questions on the whole ride rides option during the marathon - so all this discussion has been really helpful to understand it better, so thanks everybody.

One question on POT - the link I provided in registration for the marathon I ran last year was just the main link to the results page of that specific marathon. RD would still need to type my name in to prove that what I listed as my POT is correct. The link doesn't differentiate between anyone's specific race time, it just gives all the results but you then type your name in on the "search" feature and it shows your result. I tried making the link work for just my result, but apparently it doesn't work that way. Should I be concerned?

I would email the link to disneysports@trackshack.com and ask if that would suffice. They've been really quick at responding to all manner of emails, so you should get an answer (and peace of mind) pretty quickly.

But ... it's one of those big marathon experiences. Do I really want to miss it out on this essential marathon experience?
I know, run my own race, do what I want. But there are so many other things in life that I miss out on, do I really want to miss out on more? I already can't do some of other things people do (mostly the food, but also some of the boozes) to make the marathon extra fun, and here's something I can do - should I be doing it even though I don't know that it's really my #1 must do thing.
Make the marathon experience the one you want it to be. You have valid reasons for being concerned about riding Everest. Others have equally valid reasons for wanting to ride Everest. The marathon experience is what you make of it. None of us will think any less of you if you choose to not go on any attraction during the race, let alone one that has caused issues for you in the past. To my way of thinking the greatest marathon experience is finishing it. However you choose to safely enjoy your experience leading up to that is fine.

This past marathon was the first time I rode EE during the marathon after 5 Disney marathons. It was great, but it didn't make the marathon exponentially better. I've always had soooo much fun on the marathon even the ones where I didn't ride a ride or buy a drink.. You do you and I guarantee you, you'll have an amazing time. Coaster, beer or not. Those are unique and cool things about the Disney marathon, but they are not essential elements to what makes the race unique and awesome.
I love this. As a slower runner, I long ago had to make peace with where I'm at in comparison to everyone else. So while I choose to skip some photo ops because the line is too long for my comfort, I still have a great time with the stops I do choose to make. We talk a lot about the race experience we want. It's important to remember that finishing the race is arguably the most important component of the experience.

I really just need to embrace the concept of Disney races are for fun and other races are for performance.

Who has a couch I can lay on so we can sort through these complex issues?
Perhaps setting fun race goals becomes part of that. Maybe instead of setting a time goal, you set a fun goal. Such as I will stop for x number of characters even or maybe especially if you're not a character person when visiting Disney for non race purposes. Or I will eat food from a location along the course.

I think we continue to pay the money for runDisney races for the overall experience. So what part of the Disney experience do you want? Is it the characters? The theme? Running through the parks? The on course support? The medals? The multi race challenges? The parks after the races? The food?

I learned a lot of lessons from half number one in Disneyland. I was so terrified of being swept that I didn't dare stop for photos. So I didn't. I finished in 3:05. That remains to date my fastest time. It also remains to date my least fun race. I missed out on some unique photos that race. From that race I learned that I have a little bit of time to play with. I will treat my first marathon differently than my first half. As in I won't be afraid to take brief stops to enjoy the uniqueness of runDisney.

Thanks. Assuming normal health, I’m not too concerned about finishing, more just how to approach the races from a pace, fun, pics, etc. perspective.
My thoughts on pace would be to run the pace that feels right that day between your desired fun breaks. Just take time along the way for fun. When I see a line, I try to determine what it's for. R2-D2? I'm stopping if it's reasonable. A character I have no real attachment to? Keep going.

Just do what you feel comfortable doing. Much of it is a race day decision for everyone.
I second this. I had some very minor post nasal drip issues the morning of the Avengers Half. Caused some uncomfortable and almost disastrous coughing fits early in the race. I realized that I needed to tweak my pace and go with what didn't cause trouble. I knew I was undertrained, but not dangerously so. I was able to make some great photo stops and still finish strong.

Or, if you're me, you only race the WDW marathon and each year say, "What if I either get faster to do all the stops AND PR, or what if I ran at the same effort with no stops - how fast might my time be then?!" :rotfl:
That's me. Still chasing that sub 3 hour half. Maybe I'll reach it someday, but I'm having too much fun with Star Wars themes in most races.

I'm very much in the game day decision crowd. This year for Dark Side, I wanted to use my photo time for characters that I passed on last year. So I made sure to see the Ewoks this year and the Emperor. This also meant having to pass on Chewbacca during the race, but that's okay. I saw him last year and he's available in the parks afterwards.

If I see a good photo, I determine if I like the line length and try to compare that against prior photos I've taken and possible future photos and where I'm at in the race. I can handle a very long line at the end of the race, but not at the beginning. If I don't like the line length, I simply move on. I use my cell phone for pics plus runDisney if they are stationed there.

While I would love a return to what I saw in 2012 when the Disneyland Half posted the in park characters and locations before the race, that may not happen again. At least then I knew the two stops I really wanted and made sure to push myself before, between, and especially after those stops.

They sure can, though the success of the training strategies can dictate racing strategies and might be better suited for a SAFD closer to the race. Any proposals for how to phrase those questions?
Sorry, I got distracted by that "work" thing. I'm sure other DISers have some good ideas, but here are my thoughts.

Training Strategies
Do you change your run/walk ratio when training for the marathon distance as compared to shorter races? How so? If you are a continuous runner, do you add walk breaks for the marathon distance?

Racing Strategies
What will be your race day priorities? Time? Character photos? Rides? Park food and drinks? A combination? For those running Dopey, how do your priorities change by race?

Ride the rides! Stop for beer in AK at Thirsty River! Grab a brat & beer in Germany! Margarita in Mexico! Where else can you have that much fun during a marathon?
Truth! During my first Disney full (actually my first RD event ever), I actually ran right past EE, complete with a CM ushering runners inside 5 min before the park actually opened. And then I realized I wasn’t breaking any PRs and figured why the heck not?! Best decision ever! And with that ride, I realized what made RD different than any other race series. Yes, I had already run through the castle and past character pic opportunities, but screaming my head off with a couple dozen other runners sealed my love of RD.

Sorry, I got distracted by that "work" thing. I'm sure other DISers have some good ideas, but here are my thoughts.

Training Strategies
Do you change your run/walk ratio when training for the marathon distance as compared to shorter races? How so? If you are a continuous runner, do you add walk breaks for the marathon distance?

Racing Strategies
What will be your race day priorities? Time? Character photos? Rides? Park food and drinks? A combination? For those running Dopey, how do your priorities change by race?
I like these questions. The part of my brain that thinks way too far ahead is busy worrying about how to handle the first 3 races of Dopey without wiping myself out for my first marathon.

Truth! During my first Disney full (actually my first RD event ever), I actually ran right past EE, complete with a CM ushering runners inside 5 min before the park actually opened. And then I realized I wasn’t breaking any PRs and figured why the heck not?! Best decision ever! And with that ride, I realized what made RD different than any other race series. Yes, I had already run through the castle and past character pic opportunities, but screaming my head off with a couple dozen other runners sealed my love of RD.
For me it was my second race that sealed although for slightly different reasons. My first race was difficult. Due to fears about not finishing, I chose to stop for no photos and after starting out way too fast and nearly injuring myself, I had to slow down and just endure it. Honestly, I don't know if I would have given this another go had it not been for the lure of the coast to coast. But there it was and it gave me a reason to go to Walt Disney World too. In training for my first two races, I viewed training as something that I needed to do in order to accomplish the goal I had set. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, just that I knew I had to do it. But all that changed during race number 2.

Since I knew what I was pace I was truly capable of in a race, I also knew that I could absorb a few minutes worth of character stops. So in my second ever race, I afforded myself two character stops: Prince Phillip and Princess Aurora in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle and Darth Vader and stormtroopers over in Tomorrowland. My two favorite movies in one race, plus how often do you get photos with Disney royalty in front of their castle? And my finish time was only 2 minutes behind the previous year with no photo stops. I think due to confidence gained from the year before and the fun of photo opportunities combined to change my outlook. While life would put my running on hiatus for about 2 years after Wine & Dine that year, I was now hooked.

But it's also about more than character stops. In some ways it's an experience. Seeing pirates on the carousel as you run by. Hearing Star Wars music all around Epcot as you run through World Showcase. Seeing the World of Color fountains in the last vestiges of night before it gives way to dawn. Running through a major league baseball stadium with fans cheering for you in the seats. The early rays of dawn touching the spires of Sleeping Beauty Castle. It's a different way to experience places that I know and love so much.

Almost time for Christmas decorations! :santa: Halloween candy has been out for 2 weeks here in CT!

so i went by ye olde big box home decorating store last week and was greeted by this...

IMG-20180804-WA0015.jpeg

IMG-20180804-WA0019.jpeg

IMG-20180804-WA0027.jpeg

IMG-20180804-WA0025.jpeg

it was an entire section of the store already stocked for christmas.

as for halloween, there was one aisle and this display. general fall decorations had as much or more.

IMG-20180804-WA0023.jpeg

so i went by ye olde big box home decorating store last week and was greeted by this...

View attachment 343006

View attachment 343007

View attachment 343009

View attachment 343008

as for halloween, there was one aisle and this display. general fall decorations had as much or more.

View attachment 343010

Ugh. Hobby Lobby has had Christmas stuff out since July. Can't we get through Halloween first?!?!

Ugh. Hobby Lobby has had Christmas stuff out since July. Can't we get through Halloween first?!?!

and it's always annoying that they have plenty of halloween stuff but don't have anything to recognize the holiday many of us celebrate that day; nick saban's birthday.

View attachment 343006

View attachment 343007

View attachment 343009

View attachment 343008

View attachment 343010

That’s just all levels of wrongness. No. Just no. Christmas is not allowed in this house until after Thanksgiving and is gone by New Years Day. We haven’t even celebrated Labor Day yet.

That’s just all levels of wrongness. No. Just no. Christmas is not allowed in this house until after Thanksgiving and is gone by New Years Day. We haven’t even celebrated Labor Day yet.
Christmas is gone right around New Years for me but I start putting up Nov. 1st. No way I can get everything done if I don't with how much I do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter