SAFD: I hate that my kids are growing up. 2016 was the last time my DD had any interest in eating in Cinderella Castle. We had a pre-park opening breakfast and were the first guests to arrive. Eliana got to open the restaurant and had a super long meet and greet with Cinderella.

11C67599-FAA6-4413-BF98-5EF89610AFFB.jpeg

SAFD:
Lot's of good memories and magic! I finally compiled [mentally] these on my run this morning!
- Being chosen for the Gilligan's Island scene in the Superstar Television attraction at MGM Studios. I was the Skipper.
- Getting to the hot seat in Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Play It at MGM Studios.
- Getting SWAG during Disney's Year of a Million Dreams. We were in line for Tower of Terror and as we entered the library they only let 12 - 15 people in, which we thought was odd. There were 3 Disney "suits" in there with us and I thought "Uh Oh what did I do". They turn up the lights and give us our stuff. I don't remember it all, but it was a nice lanyard, all day fast passes for RNR, TOT and one other attraction and other miscellany. It was pretty cool!
- Getting 2 free sea racers after we checked in at the BC for one of our trips.
- Winning T-shirts playing progressive trivia at the ESPN Club. But here's what I did. I would give them away to the young kids sitting by us if I won. Another thing I would do is tell the young kids what the answer was [with their parents premission] and have them go up to the booth with the correct answer
- What I really enjoy is offering to take pictures of people when they're looking for that right Disney photo opportunity. It might take a couple of tries but I enjoy interacting and hopefully making some magic for them!
- And finally....those medals that go around your neck after finishing a RunDisney race! If they could only do something about that scratchy feeling for the strap that holds the medal!

There are more, but my mental compilation has expired!

I think we have been very lucky with some of the things that has happened to us on trips over the years. Below are some of our more memorable moments:

On our honeymoon a family who was walking back to the resort as we were leaving it gave a large stack of fast passes. They were leaving and wanted to pass the magic along! This is back in paper FP days, and we were both very excited about it. We had so many that we also shared with another family.

Our daughters first trip at AoA we were checking out the gift shop and a cast member approached DD and told her Mickey would like to give her a bag of chips. To DD this was the coolest thing ever and we were very appreciative.

During the 2016 Marathon trip my BIL, his wife and child were with us. We came up with a plan to go ride RNR and my wife would take the two kids to the Beauty and Beast show. She was walking in a little late and the cast member surprised them and told them they were the honored family (or something along those lines). They got a seat up front and DD was given a red rose. She was so excited to show me when she got out the show.

During April of this year which was DS first trip at 8 months old we were at EPCOT and saw their was no line for Snow White who would appear in 5-10 minutes. We chatted with a great cast member while waiting and were first in line when Snow White came out. I just thought it would be your normal smile, chit chat and take a pic. It was so much more. Snow White was amazing!! She gave our son a kiss on his forehead which he smiled about for the next 30 minutes. Maybe it wasnt that big of a deal, but to us, and myself especially it was a amazing experience. Just made my heart happy that day.
EPCOT.jpg

Also during our April trip, late one night in Magic Kingdom we were with a friend who was bringing his family for the first time. We were talking about how good the Turkey legs were and then suddenly two cast members were walking towards us with Turkey legs in their hands offering them to anyone who wanted one. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time and everyone was happy.

On another late night later on that trip in Magic Kingdom, we were in Tomorrow Land and just got off of Buzz. DD was skipping around and just so happy to be in the park that night. You know how towards the end of the night during EMH it just feels like no one is there and you can have so much fun going from one ride to next... Well Buzz was the last ride of that night and DD was proud of her score. We are getting DS in the stroller and a cast member walks up to DD and like at AoA, told her Mickey wanted her to have a balloon. She was so happy about finally getting one of those. We will buy all kind of things but the balloons were kinda off our list because bringing them home would be a issue. Well she finally got one and wanted to sleep with it in her bed that night.
MK.jpg

One last one from April. While at Club Cool I made friends with a cast member while wearing my "Drink Beverly Ice Cold" T-Shirt. Talked about how she enjoyed working their and just general Disney talk. Took a photo and were saying goodbye when she asked if Mickey could buy a icee (or whatever they are called at WDW) for DD. She loves those types of drinks!

We have had great cast member interactions, and I am not sure why we have had so many, but they do make our already special trips, just that much more magical!

Only my birthday cruise on the Dream in April, we were chosen as the Magical Family from room service ... we got certificates and always had surprises waiting for us in our room - cheese plates, pastries, desserts, a bottle of champagne, and every night like clockwork we got grilled cheese, fries and Mickey bars delivered without even requesting them.

They also brought us hot breakfast every morning, which was really nice after the Castaway Cay 5K. The last night, we came back to birthday cupcakes and chocolate-covered strawberries!

Of course, these were all amenities that concierge and suite guests received, but it was a real treat for the four of us!

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! This thread has gotten awfully quiet in the past few days, I assume it's because you're all running your butts off these days?? Ha ha

I can't wait to read some of your stories. Have a great week, everyone!
Great thread idea.

You need to issue 'tear warnings'. Thank you for sharing a great story.
Consider yourself warned then.

1. A few years ago I was wandering through Disneyland in the evening and noticed a large crowd. This usually means a character so I stopped to see which character had commanded such a large crowd. As I got closer, I noticed a little boy, severely disabled, sitting on the ground playing with Mickey. The two of them sat there playing like they were the oldest friends in the world. It was plain to see how many challenges this little boy and his parents faced in his day to day life. Yet for just a few minutes, everything was normal. Like any little boy, he was playing with a good friend having a grand old time. His parents, trying to be aware of other people who wanted to meet Mickey were attempting to gently coax him away and tell him that Mickey needed to see his other friends too. Yet the little boy didn't want to leave. So Mickey simply continued to sit on the ground and play with this little boy. The gathering crowd simply watched this moment unfold. Anyone who has stood in line for characters is familiar with the grousing that comes from a long line as people begin to worry that the character is taking too long with somebody else's kid and won't be able to spend any time with their kid. But on this night, none of that could be heard. The audience simply watched and the only people sort of attempting to end this moment were the parents of the little boy. I'm sure they wanted this moment to last forever. Eventually they succeeded in persuading their little boy to let Mickey meet his other friends. As they finished, the audience broke out in applause as it was the only way they felt they could tell Mickey just how much good he had done that night.

2. I was dining at Ariel's Grotto in California Adventure a few years ago. A nearby table of girls in their late teens/early 20s asked if Belle would be at the restaurant that night. The CM explained that she was reading a book with the Beast, but would see what she could do. A few minutes later, the CM appeared with a little girl about 5 years old dressed as Belle and introduced her to the table as Belle. The table erupted in applause, took photos, and asked her for her autograph. And the whole time the little girl was grinning from ear to ear.

3. I've been able to visit Disneyland twice on days where they allowed adult guests to wear costumes. Once for the 2014 24 hour party and again this past May for the Disneyland After Dark Star Wars Nite. Naturally I wore my Jedi robes for both events. Having characters address me as Master Jedi was surreal. Cinderella told me Gus and Jaq were dressing up as Jedi for Halloween. Belle wanted to make sure that we knew the Beast was a good guy as he had just joined "your Rebel Alliance." Aurora commented that she almost didn't recognize me in my Jedi robes. At dinner my server told me that she expected me to use the Force to pull my chair out. Darth Goofy tried to strike me down with my own lightsaber. Jedi Mickey practiced lightsaber techniques with me.

This year they had the Star Wars characters out. Rey discussed the Jedi Order with me. Darth Vader warned me about my allegiance. Kylo Ren ordered me to leave as soon as I got there. Chewbacca bowed to me. C-3PO addressed me as Master Jedi and wanted to know if my home system was safe for droids. BB-8 squealed excitedly at seeing a Jedi. The photographers took even greater care to make sure I had some great photos because I was in costume. I still can't quite believe that I have video of these moments. The party had not even started yet (they let guests in beginning at 6:00pm) and I already felt like I had gotten my money's worth out it because of those character interactions alone. For those moments, I wasn't wearing my Jedi robes. I really was a Jedi and the whole story really was true.

SAFD: I don't have any huge events, but it's really the little moments that make a trip magical for us!
I have some really special memories of those little moments in the parks with my husband. Sometimes something as simple as sharing a corn dog at 10am and people watching at Disneyland or getting a crazy case of the tired-giggles during The American Adventure mean the most.
Thinking about these just makes my day and I've loved reading everyone else's memories too!

I also have a couple character interactions that really stand out:
-Beast at BOG. We were the only ones leaving at the time and he took a ton of time. I love B&TB, so it was special.
-DHS Minnie after the Princess Half. I looove Minnie (could you have guessed??) and it was so sweet. (See my insta profile picture :) )

About 2005, Marathon Weekend. We were booked at Carribean Beach, and when we got there to check in, there was bad news and good news. They had overbooked. But they had upgraded us to Boardwalk Inn.
About 2012-13. DH was running his first 50 mile trail run on Saturday about an hour away from Orlando, so, of course, we stayed at WDW. I mentioned it at check in, and that evening when we got back to the room, Mickey had sent a fruit basket with bottled waters. Then Saturday when DH finished the race, he called me from the finish line. I was on IASW at the time and took the call anyway. Afterward, I hung up and apologized to the people in the boat for being on the phone and told them, "but my husband just finished a 50 mile race!" Instead of being mad, the people in the boat cheered and clapped! It was truly magical.
In 2015 we ran DL HM weekend. We told the check-in CM that it was our first time at DL. When we got back into the room-- chocolate and strawberries in both our room and DS and DIL's room. Delicious!
There are a million other things besides these that have made our trips magical: Upgrade to Royal Room at POR and to a suite at WL, DS and DIL's wedding at the wedding pavilion and rehearsal dinner the night before in the Napa Room next to California Grill, seeing former students working there on College Internships -- OH and one of them, just out of college, got hired with Disney's whatever department does media, filming, videos and stuff, and another, who's been working at Blizzard Beach for a few years since college, got promoted to EPCOT's festival management program. Congratulations Jayden and Paige!

Okay, don't be jealous, but Mickey loves me!

Last edited:
On a different note...

I had my first Marathon Weekend dream last night. I showed up to the start line of the 10K (which I'm not evening running in real life!!) in flip-flops. Didn't even realize it until I was in the corral.... Here's hoping I remember my shoes on the real day ;)
This happened to my friend! She was running the Princess 10k and didn’t realize she had left her running shoes at home until race morning. Her footwear options were boots or flip flops, so she chose to go back to bed. We do local races together and “don’t forget your shoes” is texted a half dozen times beforehand.

All of these stories have been so awesome to read!!!

We aren't really a family with the kind of luck to get anything magical, even at Disney, but I do have one fun story...

When we went to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party last year, we stood in line to meet Pirate Goofy. (And of course, as it always happens with us, the second we get in line, Goofy goes on a break.) He was definitely worth the wait though. My daughter was dressed up as the Red Power Ranger and as she walks up to Pirate Goofy he starts doing ninja moves. She joins in and we got a bunch of really fun pictures of them doing these weird ninja moves together. He spent a good 2 minutes goofing around with her before we walk up and get a group picture together. He was probably the most fun character I have ever met.

Also, I was MOST SHOCKED that my DD was given a free button after doing the Jedi Training at Disneyland. I am not used to getting anything for free from Disney. Haha.

The bold part is the most important part. Haha.
Friends: "How much is the race?"
Me: "Liiiiike $600."
F: ....
Me: ....
F: ....
Me: BUT I GET SIX MEDALS!!!!
Definitely. People think I am absolutely nuts for paying that. I had a family friend joke saying he’d get me a keg of beer and give me a medal for way less if I ran around his neighborhood.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter