One thing I do worry about, is with the longer runs coming up, what I should do about placing water/powerade so that I can hydrate during runs. I really don't want to do 5 3-mile loops around the neighborhood, I'd rather get out about town, but I do want to be able to hydrate accordingly. Anyone have strategies on this?

Are you using a hydration belt? Fill that up before you go out and plan your route to go past somewhere you know has a drinking fountain, like a city park. Then you can refill as needed.

I’m going to try to join in here since this will be my first marathon. I am equally excited and terrified. :scared:

Just finished week 5 of Higdon Novice 1 (I think that I am on the same schedule as @run.minnie.miles ). Did 10 miles on Saturday morning in GLORIOUS 60 degree weather here in Tuscaloosa, then went to go see the Tide play...

I think that the plan is definitely working. My strategy of going out slow for the weekend "long" runs really seems to be paying off. Also, I never thought that I'd figure a 4 or 5 mile run is a "short" run, but I am feeling that way a bit now. One thing I do worry about, is with the longer runs coming up, what I should do about placing water/powerade so that I can hydrate during runs. I really don't want to do 5 3-mile loops around the neighborhood, I'd rather get out about town, but I do want to be able to hydrate accordingly. Anyone have strategies on this?

LOL - I wrote “GLORIOUS weather - finally!” in my tracking app notes for Saturday. I’m also following Higdon Novice 1, and was so grateful to have such amazing weather for those 10 miles.

SAFD: Training is going well so far, I think. I’m slow, but I’m getting it done. I have the W&D Challenge coming up soon (yay!) so I consider that the ‘real’ training will start after that. :crazy2:

One thing I do worry about, is with the longer runs coming up, what I should do about placing water/powerade so that I can hydrate during runs. I really don't want to do 5 3-mile loops around the neighborhood, I'd rather get out about town, but I do want to be able to hydrate accordingly. Anyone have strategies on this?

I use a hydration pack so that I don't have to worry about water placement and always have it available. The most comfortable pack I've found (Orange Mud Endurance Pack) accommodates 1L, 1.5L & 2L bladders so I can carry whatever I need for the distance that day. Depending on your hydration volume needs, you could also look at a hydration belt that allows you to carry bottles, but I've found that to be uncomfortable and the volume too small for my needs.

Just finished week 5 of Higdon Novice 1 (I think that I am on the same schedule as @run.minnie.miles ). Did 10 miles on Saturday morning in GLORIOUS 60 degree weather here in Tuscaloosa, then went to go see the Tide play...

I think that the plan is definitely working. My strategy of going out slow for the weekend "long" runs really seems to be paying off. Also, I never thought that I'd figure a 4 or 5 mile run is a "short" run, but I am feeling that way a bit now. One thing I do worry about, is with the longer runs coming up, what I should do about placing water/powerade so that I can hydrate during runs. I really don't want to do 5 3-mile loops around the neighborhood, I'd rather get out about town, but I do want to be able to hydrate accordingly. Anyone have strategies on this?

Handheld water bottle, belt that holds water bottles or a backpack set up (camelbak, Nathan, etc).

I know it's WDW Marathon Weekend full swing of training time because it's sooooo cold out this morning, I'm not ready for tights & winter gear! We got 3 inches of heavy snow yesterday (some areas got more). It will warm up to 60s this week & melting fast, but yesterday was not normal for this time of year here. Power was knocked out & trees breaking for people due to heavy limbs since they still have leaves.

Training:
It is going ok, not awesome.
I have not committed to a regimented training plan for the half, but loosely am targeting to get to 10-11 miles and be comfortable with that distance and believe I will be able to carry myself through the extra 2.1 on race day. My goal for the half is to finish it and be fine to walk around the parks for the rest of Saturday and Sunday morning. My training hope was to make it to 10 later this month, and I believe I will be able to do that if the weather does not foul me up- I really do not think I can do that much on a TM. I set out for 9 miles on Saturday but developed a giant blister and cut myself short of 8 due to my hobbling gait. I was concerned as I could feel myself pulling funny on my hip and listing to one side. I think if it were an actual race I would keep going, but I did not see the logic in that for a training run.

Sunday question: Training is going fine so far. I had to miss two runs this past week due to a cold and being out of town but it was a step back week so I’m not concerned. The worst part has been that I have been stuck on the treadmill for all of my runs the past two weeks due to two of my three kids being tracked out. They track back in next week so that should make things easier. I can’t even wake up early enough to get out and run becasue all of them have decided to wake up before the sun even comes up. I don’t mind an occasional run on a treadmill but six runs in a row has made me start to hate it. Plus the drop in temperature is making crave running outside so much more!

Also, I never thought that I'd figure a 4 or 5 mile run is a "short" run, but I am feeling that way a bit now.
Ha! I was just thinking about this yesterday and feel the exact same way!

I am also facing the same issue (we seem to on the same page for this marathon training...). I don't know if I'm going to do this, but I've read of people driving and placing (sealed) bottles along their route before the run. Maybe you could hide a bottle in a bush or something..

. I’m also following Higdon Novice 1, and was so grateful to have such amazing weather for those 10 miles.
Welcome!! I am also running my first marathon and have the same excited/terrified feelings :)

So the Wine and Dine corrals came out last week and in reviewing the information it looks like the predictions still held for that race. So if you want to get a general idea for what corralling will look like for Marathon Weekend based on submitted POT or estimated finish:

POT (Proof of Time) Race Equivalency Cutoff Confirmed Times

It still remains to be seen whether they will change anything, but it appears runDisney is content with moving from the "lots of corrals with set number of people model" to a "small number of corral based on a set POT and do mini-wave" system.

Last edited:
So the Wine and Dine corrals came out last week and in reviewing the information it looks like the predictions still held for that race. So if you want to get a general idea for what corralling will look like for Marathon Weekend based on submitted POT:

POT (Proof of Time) Race Equivalency Cutoff Confirmed Times

It still remains to be seen whether they will change anything, but it appears runDisney is content with moving from the "lots of corrals with set number of people model" to a "small number of corral based on a set POT and do mini-wave" system.
And those last few corrals are going to remain ginormous. Just looking at Wine and Dine Corral F is over 30% of the field!

I love the Aftershokz Trekz Titanium and Aftershokz Trekz Air headphones. They are very comfortable, don't block your ears so you can hear your surroundings for safety and have a battery life in the 7-8+ hour range.

I also use Aftershokz Trekz Titanium and absolutely love them! I like the fact that I can hear whats going on around me and even have conversations with run partners while having some light background music.
They can get overpowered by heavy traffic noise but I haven't been terribly bothered by that.
While I can't vouch that they are completely rain proof but i have used them in light rain and they survived that along with my excessive head moisture.
I will can also confirm that 7-8 hour battery life.

Thanks for the info on battery life! I just got the Trekz Air and I love them so far. But the longest run I've had with them was a 10 miler and I was a bit worried about how long the batteries would last. I'd need 7 hours to get through the marathon with them :)

Training's been going ok here. We finally had some cooler weather the past week or so and I was able to actually hit my easy pace on an easy run :) I've been training for a half marathon (coming up on Saturday!) so will transition to official marathon training after that.

SAFD: I'm starting week 7 of a 19 week DB plan and I have only missed one run (back in week 2). It will be so much easier to get the runs in now that it has cooled off! I also haven't even registered for the marathon yet!

ETA: I'm not sure I like today's running weather though. 3:30 is when I start running. :(

upload_2018-10-15_9-29-30.png

Last edited:
And those last few corrals are going to remain ginormous. Just looking at Wine and Dine Corral F is over 30% of the field!

It's true. As long as it is becomes more common knowledge that the system for corralling the "estimated finish" (or non-POT corrals) is a simple drop-down = Corral F, G, or H, then you're likely to see a bulge in that particular corral. Even if they changed the non-estimated finish to say 2:46-2:47, 2:48-3:00, 3:01-3:15, and 3:16-3:30 having a total of 4 corrals instead of 3, I'd bet you'd still see a significant number of runners of the field in the 2:46-2:47 corral whether that's reality or runners choosing the fastest possible corral without required POT.

That was pretty much the case for the 2017 Marathon Weekend:

marathon-2017-corrals-650x445.jpg

Corrals J, K, and L were all runners who stated their estimated finish was exactly 5:30 (back then you typed in an estimated time and roughly 6000 runners said their estimated finish was the fastest possible non-POT submittable time). Presumably they randomly distributed those runners over 3 corrals. But there were still 6000 runners that chose a very narrow estimated finish and they evenly distributed ~2000 of those runners into three random corrals (J, K, and L).

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 9.40.18 AM.png

So runDisney for better or worse has since decided to move to a single much larger back corrals with mini-waves. Presumably less questions about why someone is in J vs L and less volunteers (maybe?) needed on race day because there are less corrals to actually manage. Certainly doesn't make it the right or wrong choice, but merely what they seem to be gravitating towards at the moment.

The other possible fix is to move the POT requirement from 2:45 and 5:30 to something slower like 3:15 and 6:30. But doing that has potential negative side effects as well.

All that being said, I try to pay attention more to the number of runners ahead of a certain corral rather than what the letter of the corral may be. Because the # of runners dictates how many other people are around you at the beginning and during the race.

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 9.35.28 AM.png

In the 2018 marathon, 54.6% of the bibs were in the non-POT corrals. In the 2018 HM, 61.5% of the bibs were in the non-POT corrals.

Yeah...Wow!! 2/3 of the field are in the last 3 corals...

But @DopeyBadger , question (assuming I am reading this correctly): Why does F have over 3K bibs but G only has 829? I don't understand why they wouldn't distribute them evenly...

ETA -- It looks like you answered my question as I was typing it...

Yeah...Wow!! 2/3 of the field are in the last 3 corals...

But @DopeyBadger , question (assuming I am reading this correctly): Why does F have over 3K bibs but G only has 829? I don't understand why they wouldn't distribute them evenly...
From what I understand it has to do with the estimated time finish. More people estimated they would finish in the F time frame than G so that’s where they put them.

SAFD: Dopey training is going for my husband and I! He is way ahead of where he needs to be, but he's been running for forever and it's no big deal for him to go knock out 16 miles on a random Wednesday morning. Me? I'm still a newbie (only 2.5 years running) so I'm enjoying my DB plan that is gradual!

My FIL has a terminal illness and we don't have much longer with him, so my emotional capacity for running is much different than usual right now. Some days I cannot wait to get out there and knock out some miles so my brain can have a darn break! Other days, it's all we can do to get our running shoes on.

It's true. As long as it is becomes more common knowledge that the system for corralling the "estimated finish" (or non-POT corrals) is a simple drop-down = Corral F, G, or H, then you're likely to see a bulge in that particular corral. Even if they changed the non-estimated finish to say 2:46-2:47, 2:48-3:00, 3:01-3:15, and 3:16-3:30 having a total of 4 corrals instead of 3, I'd bet you'd still see a significant number of runners of the field in the 2:46-2:47 corral whether that's reality or runners choosing the fastest possible corral without required POT.

That was pretty much the case for the 2017 Marathon Weekend:

marathon-2017-corrals-650x445.jpg

Corrals J, K, and L were all runners who stated their estimated finish was exactly 5:30 (back then you typed in an estimated time and roughly 6000 runners said their estimated finish was the fastest possible non-POT submittable time). Presumably they randomly distributed those runners over 3 corrals. But there were still 6000 runners that chose a very narrow estimated finish and they evenly distributed ~2000 of those runners into three random corrals (J, K, and L).

View attachment 358544

So runDisney for better or worse has since decided to move to a single much larger back corrals with mini-waves. Presumably less questions about why someone is in J vs L and less volunteers (maybe?) needed on race day because there are less corrals to actually manage. Certainly doesn't make it the right or wrong choice, but merely what they seem to be gravitating towards at the moment.

The other possible fix is to move the POT requirement from 2:45 and 5:30 to something slower like 3:15 and 6:30. But doing that has potential negative side effects as well.

All that being said, I try to pay attention more to the number of runners ahead of a certain corral rather than what the letter of the corral may be. Because the # of runners dictates how many other people are around you at the beginning and during the race.

View attachment 358542

In the 2018 marathon, 54.6% of the bibs were in the non-POT corrals. In the 2018 HM, 61.5% of the bibs were in the non-POT corrals.
Wow. Sometimes I forget just how huge these events are, but this puts it in perspective.

Are you using a hydration belt? Fill that up before you go out and plan your route to go past somewhere you know has a drinking fountain, like a city park. Then you can refill as needed.
And if you are small town without parks or fountains, you may know people along the route and ask them if they mind if you stop and refill your water bottle at their outdoor faucets!:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter