I'm with @rteetz. I doubt they got them race morning and are more likely to have made themselves stickers. With all the people trying to pick up bibs on race mornings due to true emergencies as well as a sense of entitlement, I find it very hard to believe they're verifying times and providing corral moves too.

Has anyone see people get officially moved up in corrals as late as race morning? I mean someone getting an official sticker just before the race? I saw a Youtube couple post expo video where they showed bibs and they were on F. Then later in the video they were in hotel going to sleep and bibs still showed F. But then the following morning, during the race they were all of a sudden both sporting B stickers... And they looked like official ones i saw in other people's race pics. This couple had no business being in B though..4 hour HALF marathon and the guy was running his first one - there was a reason the original placement was in F.

This kind of crap by Disney just has me frustrated .. Either honor the corrals or just do stupid random placement like Run Disney France did in 2018 - btw, the France corrals were really really stupid

Yeah, I doubt they got them race morning, probably made them or got them some other way unofficially. Sadly, people do that. Can you message me the youtube link?

Yeah, I doubt they got them race morning, probably made them or got them some other way unofficially. Sadly, people do that. Can you message me the youtube link?
Not OP, but I know what video they are referencing. I didn't notice the Corral change originally, but watched again. But I also noticed when I went back to watch it on Youtube, that the video is marked as an Ad, and specifically they partnered with RunDisney and Disney Style. While I have no direct knowledge, I would assume that partnership some how got them the corral change.

Not OP, but I know what video they are referencing. I didn't notice the Corral change originally, but watched again. But I also noticed when I went back to watch it on Youtube, that the video is marked as an Ad, and specifically they partnered with RunDisney and Disney Style. While I have no direct knowledge, I would assume that partnership some how got them the corral change.
Ah they did have some paid for people doing races with Oh My Disney and Disney Style. While not really great that they got to move up it would make sense since they were “influencers” and essentially a runDisney advertisement.

What's the video?

Ah they did have some paid for people doing races with Oh My Disney and Disney Style. While not really great that they got to move up it would make sense since they were “influencers” and essentially a runDisney advertisement.

"influencers" ... our society is stupid. Anyway, paid by disney or not - it is crap that you move people up to those much faster corrals...I mean, ***!!! It's one thing if they actually belonged but didn't get signed up in time, but this is crap.

Ahh, I don't see Ads on youtube so I didn't realize they were partnered. I see the #AD text but I have ad blocking in Firefox so I don't actually get any ads during Youtube videos (YAY!)

@cburnett11 DH and I also did intervals for the marathon. He wore the Garmin and paced us. Most of the time I was 6-10 feet behind him. We even do our training runs single file.

My DH and I are the same except that I do the pacing. I have to stay about 3 steps ahead of him or he keeps creeping the pace faster and faster. He's horrible at pacing. "Run fast until you drop" is his motto. :) But he will drop directly behind me if a car is coming.

We did some experimenting during training, but settled on me being the pacer. I don't typically use intervals, so it took some getting used to... but I'm decent at paying attention to my Garmin and knowing my wife depended on me helped me stay focused. Originally she was going to "run her own pace" and I'd follow, but I convinced her to swap after a long run in which she started a little too strong. It was easy for us to run most of the marathon single file because we actually trained like that. I'm chatty on long runs and she has no interest in trying to reciprocate. She'd rather just run quietly and save her breath for that. :)

During the half marathon, as we entered Epcot, I noticed that Character Spot was open with a 5 minute wait - probably because regular visitors couldn't access it without crossing the running path. This being my first half and because I learned the painful lesson in training to NOT stop moving for anything after mile 10, I contemplated it for a moment and then kept going. But I keep wondering - is there anyone that did stop? What characters were there? I'd love to know what I missed!

During the half marathon, as we entered Epcot, I noticed that Character Spot was open with a 5 minute wait - probably because regular visitors couldn't access it without crossing the running path. This being my first half and because I learned the painful lesson in training to NOT stop moving for anything after mile 10, I contemplated it for a moment and then kept going. But I keep wondering - is there anyone that did stop? What characters were there? I'd love to know what I missed!
I've never read of anyone stopping at Character Stop, but it would be Mickey, Goofy and Minnie. Or across the way they have Baymax in another spot or Joy and Sadness in another. Wreck It Ralph was temporarily around there but moving to Imagination.

I've never read of anyone stopping at Character Stop, but it would be Mickey, Goofy and Minnie. Or across the way they have Baymax in another spot or Joy and Sadness in another. Wreck It Ralph was temporarily around there but moving to Imagination.

That makes me feel a lot better. I would have been kicking myself if I had passed up a chance to meet Joy and Sadness. That might have been worth the pain of trying to get tired legs moving again. While Mickey and Minnie would have been cool, it definitely wouldn't have been worth it.

I think it's a huge mistake by runDisney to give influencers a wildly unrealistic race experience. Have them run the race? Fine, but place them accordingly. So now these paid advertisers tell everyone all about everything they did. They started the race in corral B, so they probably had substantially shorter character lines than the average first time runner with no proof of time starting from a later corral.

"influencers" ... our society is stupid. Anyway, paid by disney or not - it is crap that you move people up to those much faster corrals...I mean, ***!!! It's one thing if they actually belonged but didn't get signed up in time, but this is crap.
Agreed. The problem with the wildly unrealistic race experience is that the new runner with no proof of time starting from a later corral has a very wrong sense of what's going to really happen on race day. They're going to stand in their corral for 30+ minutes before starting the race. Instead of being 45 minutes ahead of the ballon ladies like the "influencers" or corral jumpers, the new no proof of time runner is at best 15 minutes ahead. The influencer talks about how great it was to meet *insert rare character here* but the new runner discovers a 10 minute line for that rare character. Next thing you know that new runner is sitting on the parade bus wondering how in the world they got swept after the "influencer" did the same thing. And if they were signed up for a challenge (I did my first marathon as part of Dopey), they're about to discover that the challenge medal isn't coming. So now runDisney may well have an upset customer who ins't coming back. Or even if the new runner finishes the race, they may still be one and done simply because the false experience shared by the influencer does not match reality.

Yes, I know Disney's brand is built on customer service and magic. But the 15 minute meet and greet with Mickey isn't happening. Most of the time, you're getting 1 or 2 minutes. At best. But you know something? It's still very possible to have a magical experience even in that 1 or 2 minutes if your expectations are set accordingly. But influencers wind up creating outrageous expectations that the average guest will never see. That doesn't help Disney at all.

This was probably my biggest surprise running the race. I almost slammed into a woman who shoved her two small kids into the lane while dragging her stroller under the rope to hop across to get there. While I imagine it is not a terribly high volume attraction, they should have addressed this and I am surprised they did not.

Yep my friend and I were just casually walking up and when it was clearly full we shrugged and sat down too.
I also for my own sake need to let people go fast in front of me and catch them later, because I have a "starting too fast" issue if I'm not careful. So "toe-ing" the line of a corral would be detrimental to my race plan even without a PR attempt. I like to be in the middle if possible.

Im talking about people who were weaving in and around people to get by them or asking people to move so they could get through to basically occupy a space that was not really enough for someone to stand in to begin with.

And it wasnt way in advance of the start either, it was once corrals had already started to kind of inch forward as things are getting close to start.

Hi everyone, random (late) question for the group.

I have a Dopey set of men's medium shirts from race weekend and I wish I had taken the time to switch them to small at the expo. Does anyone have any best suggestions on trading them in for small? I figure I post to some of the many facebook groups out there and see if people were willing to trade any/all shirts. I even thought about emailing rD but figured that would be a longshot a month later.

Thanks!

Hi everyone, random (late) question for the group.

I have a Dopey set of men's medium shirts from race weekend and I wish I had taken the time to switch them to small at the expo. Does anyone have any best suggestions on trading them in for small? I figure I post to some of the many facebook groups out there and see if people were willing to trade any/all shirts. I even thought about emailing rD but figured that would be a longshot a month later.

Thanks!
alternatively monitor EBAY to see if you can get one - I see them up for sale occasionally.

Do the themes/signature characters for each of the races change from year to year? If so, when do we find out? I'm already brainstorming costumes and thinking about whether I want to follow the official themes or just do my own thing.

Do the themes/signature characters for each of the races change from year to year? If so, when do we find out? I'm already brainstorming costumes and thinking about whether I want to follow the official themes or just do my own thing.
They didn't used to change, but starting with this year, they might. The formerly Pluto 5K was changed to Oswald. And we've heard rumors of the 10K changing from Minnie to ???. Based on rD's descriptions, it seems Donald will keep the half, Mickey the marathon, and Goofy and Dopey their challenges. We'll have to wait and see what happens with the 5K and 10K!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter