Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: My personal favorite was meeting Moana after the 2017 WDW Marathon. I listened to that playlist nonstop during training and the race. I told her she literally got me through that thing! Or last year when Donald got mad at me for wearing a Mickey shirt to meet him. Love that guy!

For my kids, it would be my youngest meeting Mickey for the first time when she was 2.5. She wouldn't even turn around for the picture because she just wanted to stand there and stare at him!

I have stayed at POR, AS Sports, and AKL for Marathon Weekend.

Best transportation was AKL - walked out the main door and there was the bus. AS Sports was also good. Had a bad experience at POR but seems to be a fluke.

We are at Poly for 2020, so I am excited to do the monorail for the race for the first time. Do you also take the monorail back afterwards?

I have stayed at POR, AS Sports, and AKL for Marathon Weekend.

Best transportation was AKL - walked out the main door and there was the bus. AS Sports was also good. Had a bad experience at POR but seems to be a fluke.

We are at Poly for 2020, so I am excited to do the monorail for the race for the first time. Do you also take the monorail back afterwards?
You can take the monorail back but they also have a bus back.

Good morning runDisney all-stars!

Marathon weekend kicks off in 205 days! For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, I want to know what are your three favorite portions, segments, stops, etc. during any runDisney race? Not to be confused with your favorite runDisney memory, I’m talking about any physical experience on the course available to all runners. Rides, beverage and character stops all count.

If you haven’t done a runDisney race yet, what are you most looking forward to?

My top three:

1. Main Street, USA; marathon. The crowd, the lights, the castle, nothing compares to running down Main Street, USA. I don’t think I could ever get tired of that experience.

2. World Showcase; 5K. Like Main Street, USA, I love seeing the World Showcase all lit up before the sunrises. It’s just beautiful.

3. Hollywood Studios to Epcot, marathon. Not only does the HS to Epcot stretch mean I’m nearly done, it’s also a gorgeous part of the property I wouldn’t typically experience. Crowd support there is great, too.

Have a great week, everyone!

SAFD - some favorite segments
1. FINALLY starting the race and having fireworks go off after waiting for HOURS to get started -- every race.
2. Turning into Main Street and seeing the Christmas tree and Cinderella Castle all lit up and hearing the cheering crowds
3. Running through the Osborne family Christmas lights during W&D - RIP
4. Hearing the "Hallelujah Choir" at the end of the marathon, meaning I am about to cross the finish line (or actually die and go to heaven, someone said)

SAFD:

3. MK headed into Tomorrowland. As I've detailed before, Main Street USA has never been my favorite because it is too crowded and hectic. I much prefer walking into MK for the first time during my trip outside of the race setting. The magic hits me much more acutely in those instances. But so many people stop on Main Street that once you clear that mass of humanity it's actually kind of nice being able to run and navigate freely into Tomorrowland.

2. The whole 10K. I just really love the whole course. First half with very wide highway to allow for dispersal of the race participants. Second half awesome running through World Showcase, exiting at the International Gateway, running around the Boardwalk, and re-entering Epcot. Really amazing.

1. Entering Epcot to the Finish of the Marathon. It just doesn't get any better. #1, it's the final mile of a marathon and you're going to finish. #2, awesome crowd support (from most). #3, Cool opportunities afforded by an open park (for all but the fastest of us) including snacks, drinks, pictures, etc. #4, Did I mention you're about to finish a Marathon?

Least favorite?

A two-way tie each with a score of 0 on the experience-added scale:

-Everything after you exit MK during the Half Marathon. There's nothing left but highway, including that exit/entrance ramp and multiple oh so exciting overpasses.

-After exiting AK in the Marathon to WWoS. There's still a lot of race left and that stretch of highway is long and very hot (if the sun is out and temp is over 60). It's hard to keep spirits up during that stretch if things aren't going well. It actually makes WWoS not so bad.

SAFD: In no particular order.....1) Getting to run backstage behind Splash and seeing the parade floats--this is "unseen Disney" and is the kind of thing that makes a race special. 2) Running through World Showcase with all the lights on--just plain beautiful. 3) The Gospel Choir (in the old days--recently it seems not as good) because the singing is wonderful and it's just around the corner from the finish.

1. Home stretch of the marathon, world showcase. You enter with all the people there cheering, torches are lit, Margarita or beer in hand. Finish up with the choir and the finish. Nothing better.
2. 5K or 10K, it’s still dark and music is playing with the torches flaring in World Showcase.
3. Main Street USA, it’s still dark or the sun is just rising and the castle lights are on. It’s a sight to see.
4. Running through Animal Kingdom in any race. Huge fan of the park and especially during wine and dine when you run through Pandora when it’s dark. You have Everest during the marathon.

Least favorite...

1. The stretch between AK and ESPN. There just isn’t much of anything.
2. The waste water treatment plant to AK. You have the smell and the out and back. Not great.

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, I want to know what are your three favorite portions, segments, stops, etc. during any runDisney race?
#1 Running through the Osborne Family Lights. It was nothing short of magical!!! I am so glad I video taped it that last year (2015):

#2 Running through Animal Kingdom at night. It was so beautiful to see the tree of life all lit up and the park has a completely different feel at night.

#3 Seeing my favorite guy on the course. I will always stop for my Best Pal!

SAFD: my top three
1) beer or margaritas at Thirsty River
2) running through World Showcase during the 5/10k with the torches lit and the music going. Wish they’d bring this back to the marathon course.
3) the quiet & solitude between GF and Animal Kingdom

My top three would be:
1) The Magic Kingdom. I love running from the park entry under the railroad and onto Main Street, seeing it lit up with the people cheering us on.
2) The baseball stadium at WWoS. My feet are always hurting by this point but when I get here, I get my second wind and I'm around the field and to the left field foul pole before I know it. Great adrenaline rush at Mile 20.
3) tie between Cars Land at DCA and EPCOT in the Marathon. Seeing Cars Land all lit up is amazing. But I love that rush going into EPCOT in the UK with the people cheering and knowing I'm in the home stretch.

Good morning runDisney all-stars!

Marathon weekend kicks off in 205 days! For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, I want to know what are your three favorite portions, segments, stops, etc. during any runDisney race? Not to be confused with your favorite runDisney memory, I’m talking about any physical experience on the course available to all runners. Rides, beverage and character stops all count.

If you haven’t done a runDisney race yet, what are you most looking forward to?

My top three:

1. Main Street, USA; marathon. The crowd, the lights, the castle, nothing compares to running down Main Street, USA. I don’t think I could ever get tired of that experience.

2. World Showcase; 5K. Like Main Street, USA, I love seeing the World Showcase all lit up before the sunrises. It’s just beautiful.

3. Hollywood Studios to Epcot, marathon. Not only does the HS to Epcot stretch mean I’m nearly done, it’s also a gorgeous part of the property I wouldn’t typically experience. Crowd support there is great, too.

Have a great week, everyone!

You pretty much nailed my top 3. I really missed the World Showcase segment of the 5k & 10k running Goofy this past Marathon Weekend.

3) the quiet & solitude between GF and Animal Kingdom

I know most people hate this section, but I don't really have bad feelings about this section of the marathon course. I guess it depends on what you want out of a race. I am usually working too hard to really care much about the environment on any course (other than the elevation changes and the temp!). And I find it rhythmically satisfying to be surrounded by other runners and listening to their footfall and their breathing. It is sort of mesmerizing. These "empty" stretches really let you feel the race.

I know most people hate this section, but I don't really have bad feelings about this section of the marathon course. I guess it depends on what you want out of a race. I am usually working too hard to really care much about the environment on any course (other than the elevation changes and the temp!). And I find it rhythmically satisfying to be surrounded by other runners and listening to their footfall and their breathing. It is sort of mesmerizing. These "empty" stretches really let you feel the race.

I really love the post-MK stretches of the half and full, as well. There’s a lot to love:

- It’s relatively quiet and serene, which is rare at WDW
- the retired ride vehicles
- it’s a part of the property I wouldn’t otherwise see

The sun was just coming up during the second half of the HM this year and it was just a really great experience.

I agree with @rteetz that the out and back is a slog and the water treatment facility is less than charming, though with no sense of smell I’m not susceptible to its aroma.

All said - and fatigue and heat play a roll in this - but I’ll take MK to AK over AK to HS any day of the week.

All for the marathon.

1. World Showcase. Music, excitement, change of scenery, knowing you are about to finish makes my heart swell.
2. Magic Kingdom entrance- the actual gate. Even with the speed bumps
3. Boardwalk area
4. Running by the deluxe monorail resorts in the dark

Dislike

1. WWOS
2. Half marathon Epcot time this year, didn't like it at all.

Well I bit the bullet and signed myself up for the marathon and my wife up for the half! This is going to by my first ever marathon and my wife’s first half marathon in 3 years! She is a trooper and will be about 6 months post-partum from having our son!

We are super excited!

SAFD: I am looking forward to
1) Running MK for the first time
2) Meeting characters along the course
3) The start. Those few minutes before my corral fireworks are so exciting (true at any race for me) and then moving 🏃🏼‍♀️
4) The HS-boardwalk-Epcot especially at night-Finish parts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter