Marathon Weekend 2020

So they just announced that the marathon is starting early and I'm wondering if the half marathon will also start early... which would be fine with me since it seems I won't be sleeping that night anyway if this year goes the way last year went... Anyone know?

So they just announced that the marathon is starting early and I'm wondering if the half marathon will also start early... which would be fine with me since it seems I won't be sleeping that night anyway if this year goes the way last year went... Anyone know?
No just the marathon as of now. The half doesn’t impact park hours like the marathon does.

I'm weirdly hoping this will be my last runDisney for a few years. I'm burned out, I think. Plus we all have major sadness after the Disney cruise 2 weeks ago so it looks like that's where our money will be going for the next foreseeable future!

With that in mind, I'm looking forward to these new (to me) things:
1. Galaxy's Edge
2. Homecomin'
3. Stoping for more characters on the courses, even with long lines (ex. Jafar, Incredibles, sports mickey & minnie)

And, as always, looking forward to running through World Showcase in the dark. They play the best music and I always fight back tears.

SAFD:
I really try not to do new things on race weekends, but there are a couple I can think of for 2020...

1. I'm excited to see the new marathon course, and running BB will be new for me!
2. Morimoto Asia - haven't eaten there yet, but will be post-marathon to celebrate the weekend

That's it! Everything else I do will be tried-and-true. I like familiarity for race weekends :)

I never minded WWOS.
I don't love it, but I don't loathe WWOS, either. I do, however, truly detest the slog up and then back down Victory Way to get in and out of WWOS.

When I first read the announcement I had a thought that maybe the only place they will have characters post race for pics is in the paid open air runners area. I hope that will not be the case. The following says nothing about character photos, but with all the up-sells of late, this concerns me a bit.

“For runners, the event will offer a new outdoor exclusive area, where runners can take photos, pick up their gear, stretch, and recover.”
I read it exactly the same and had the same thought: what if this means only folks who pay for the privilege get character pics before/after the races? And if so, I'd bet they'll have a method in place to pay for it right then and there.

SAFD:
-I am cautiously optimistic about the course changes. I LOVED the old course with the morning EPCOT loop, so I hope they bring that back.
-Seeing Galaxy's Edge with my Star Wars loving boys.
-Bringing our new daughter (due November) for the first time to WDW
-I will miss Illuminations dearly. A lot of tears were shed in July when we saw it for the last time. But, loving classic EPCOT, this part time show should be enjoyable.
-Skyliner

I other news, I had a race yesterday (Heartland Half Marathon) to improve upon corral placement. It was a driving rain storm with heavy winds. 6 miles in, they cancelled it. Apparently city personnel needed access to the trail that it was being run on. A few folks finished the race (running through standing water) and it was pretty miserable. I at least have my time from 2018 WDW marathon, but this would have improved by expected marathon time by about 15 minutes.

SAFD

The time change doesn’t really bother me too much. I’m already one of those people who get there super early and by day 4, I’ve succumbed to the fact that it will be early and I’ll be tired. I’m all for less time on the highway because we equated ourselves to slugs in the sun this year 😂

New things
1) Rise of the Resistance. We went to GE opening week (thanks hurricane Dorian!) and I’m excited to compare it to Smugglers Run.

2) Afternoon Tea at Grand Floridian. I’m know it’s not a regular race weekend reservation but my mom and I decided to try it out since DH and the kids won’t be with us.

SAFD:
1. Just excited to run my first full Marathon! I have no knowledge of the course aside from overlapping sections from some of the Disney half marathons and what people have always talked about, so I'll take whatever comes as it's all new to me.
2. The Oswald-themed 10K! I know it's controversial, but Oswald is my sentimental favorite character and I'm glad to see him getting some love. I wasn't able to get into the 5K last year, and signed up for the 10K blind thinking it was going to be Minnie (but really I'm using it for a shake-out run prior to the full). I literally whooped out loud when the theme was revealed!
3. Riding a ride (hoping for Everest as it's my fav, but I'll take any) and crossing the finish with a drink.
4. Gondolas! But they'll be up for my October trip. For January, definitely ROTR!

SAFD: What @rteetz said.

Eating at Topolino the new restaurant atop Riviera is something I’m looking forward too. The new course will be something as well. I just hope I can still ride Everest and get a margarita.

Outside of that as of right now I don’t have anything new in the cards.

SAFD:

1) DDs (18 year old) first Dopey and the fact that we are traveling with two other runners so technically I don't have to go the start line (lol) but I probably will anyway
2) Split stay at Cooper creek for the weekend and staying post Dopey at POP
3) First trip in January
4) Trying out the skyliner

Super excited for this trip! It's what my dd wanted for her HS graduation gift so it's been in the planning for a long time. Love that we are traveling with some friends who are also running Dopey as she has usually done these runs by herself in the past making friends along the way. (Loved RD events when she was younger as she always made a friend often times a parent that encouraged her along the way.)

As for course change - she's never run the Marathon at WDW so it doesn't impact her expectations any. Although she does love it when courses she's run before change - shes run the LA Marathon for the past few years and hates that it's the same route each time. She said she'd rather be "surprised" but have very good mile makers on the course. Odd kid...lol

1) Looking forward to SWGE
2) I am actually looking forward to the new route. I actually liked running through WWOS itself, but I didn't like that it winded around every little nook and cranny of it! So, I hope at least a little of it is in there.
3) This will be my first Dopey
4) So far, I am planning on staying at a Skyliner resort. So, that might be fun.

I never minded WWOS. Although lots of turns and you see runners that are like 5 miles ahead of you as you are entering, it was something different, not the open highway, and there were usually lots of characters.
I think WWoS is difficult because of where it fits into the race. I think a lot of runners hit the wall there or really begin to feel the distance. I think runDisney does a good job with what they have in there, but so many are just feeling it there. After WWoS is where all sorts of little things made me deliriously excited and wound up helping me keep going.
My Marathon Weekend trip should feature a lot of new experiences. First solo trip. First time staying at All-Star Movies. I'm really excited to try some new places to eat, particularly The Polite Pig. I'll explore Galaxy's Edge a bit and hopefully ride Slinky Dog for the first time.
Also my first time at Movies. I fear I'm really going to miss the moderates where my last 3 trips have been. And obviously Rise of the Resistance is my top priority. I'm beyond excited to fully experience Galaxy's Edge.
Staying at POFQ for the first time (a non-running friend is coming with me)
I'm a huge fan of Port Orleans in general for race weekend. Feels centrally located to everything and a quick ride back after the races.
Just soaking everything in and determining whether this will become an addiction, haha
Might be too late on the addiction part. Two years ago at this time, I was actually wondering if I had run my last race. I had finished on a dream note and Disneyland races were looking to be going away. Well instead of hanging it up, I wound up running 5 more race weekends, with 2 of the 5 being every race of the weekend, and two more registered race weekends coming next year.

SAFD:

Galaxy's Edge fully operational. Primarily this means Rise of the Resistance. On a recent trip with my sister and her family, she knew that if she went lengthy periods of time without seeing me, she would find me in Galaxy's Edge.

Saw in another group that someone got a response from RunDisney confirming no race retreat this year because of space constraints in the Epcot parking lot. No reason to doubt response, but wasn’t direct to me so I can’t verify either.

Suspect with all the construction they will be using part of the lot for construction staging. I think we all suspected this with the announcement but still a bummer. Now I’m really hoping for no rain.

Saw in another group that someone got a response from RunDisney confirming no race retreat this year because of space constraints in the Epcot parking lot. No reason to doubt response, but wasn’t direct to me so I can’t verify either.

Suspect with all the construction they will be using part of the lot for construction staging. I think we all suspected this with the announcement but still a bummer. Now I’m really hoping for no rain.
And no 20mph wind, sub-freezing weather...

As for course change - she's never run the Marathon at WDW so it doesn't impact her expectations any. Although she does love it when courses she's run before change - shes run the LA Marathon for the past few years and hates that it's the same route each time. She said she'd rather be "surprised" but have very good mile makers on the course. Odd kid...lol

Actually I think wanting a surprise along the course is pretty normal.

Guess I’ll be having my own little retreat in my car 😂

My first thought was to post "that sounds like a good idea" ....but I don't want everyone else to do the same thing and make parking a nightmare.

So..eww yuck ! why hang out in your car when you can relax in the goodness of the bathrooms by guest services at Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter