Marathon Weekend 2020

Anybody remember examples of pre-race song selections from prior MWs? DW and I were building a list of titles to listen to during training runs. I know I've heard Shut Up and Dance and Uptown Funk at almost every rD race I've done.

SAFD: I really love Marathon Weekend. In 2018, we stayed after and caught the beginning of the International Festival of Arts. My kids loved seeing all the Disney inspired art and meeting some of the artists. Otherwise I like it when the crowds are smaller which has typically been late August for us. Hot, but then we don't feel so bad getting to the next air conditioned place.

Did my first Dopey simulation. Had a local half marathon I did with my wife (at her pace) and then a 20 mile run yesterday. Feel great, looking for NYC in less than 3 weeks and MW in less than 3 months!

Hello friends! This is my first post on the DISboards. Have been following along chasing Dopey 2020. Congrats to all!

Just wanted to let you know that Runners Square (Race Retreat substitution) is available on the runDisney website as of this morning.

Curious to know if anyone happens to know more about this offering, and if you might consider booking it? Seems a very stripped down version of Race Retreat and just not sure it's worth the cost.

Welcome your thoughts!

Hello friends! This is my first post on the DISboards. Have been following along chasing Dopey 2020. Congrats to all!

Just wanted to let you know that Runners Square (Race Retreat substitution) is available on the runDisney website as of this morning.

Curious to know if anyone happens to know more about this offering, and if you might consider booking it? Seems a very stripped down version of Race Retreat and just not sure it's worth the cost.

Welcome your thoughts!
To me it sounds like Race Retreat minus the tent.

Welcome your thoughts!

Runners Square looks pretty expensive for what you get! Not even a place to get out of the elements or stay warm, if it turns out wet or cold. I really can't see shelling out $85/day for this:

Yup, with a "Celebratory Photo Moment and commemorative gift" to try and sell it. I'm assuming that since Celebratory Photo Moment is all capitalized that they are trying to create something "unique" that they can also sell separate. Without a tent to hedge against bad weather, I will sit this one out and see if I'm jealous later.

I think it's a joke. Is it April 1? No, really - they can't be for real on this, can they?!

Oh wait...

It's rD. Yes, yes they can.

It's a HARD pass from me. I'm not even willing to pay for RR with a tent, let alone RR without a tent, lol! You'll find me mingling with the peons, as usual. ;)

Reading too deeply into the "Runners Square" (thanks but no thanks...the value of the Race Retreat was the tent) they may have given us another clue to the finish line of the new course. This "square" is in the Wonder Lot and is a finish-chute area. The prior year finish-chute was in the Imagine Lot. A bit more evidence that the finish line of the new courses could be like the finish line of this year W&D.

Early expo entry? Nah, no one wants that.
Warm place to wait? Eh, nah.
Exclusive character photos? Who would want this?

Putting green? Hells yes!
Entrance to the corrals? Well, there is a free one of those too, but why not.
Photo opp? They already have some of those but let's throw in one more.
One less tent in the rD budget...priceless.

:rotfl:

That stretching green sounds pretty spectacular though, and totally not like a place for dogs to relive themselves.

Kudos to anyone who shows up with a putter and ball to practice their short game on it.

I mean, now that they’ve clarified that it won’t just be an exclusive area of parking lot where people can stretch but an exclusive area of parking lot with cheap carpet rolled over it. Where can I sign up?

Pure luxury at its finest.

ETA: I know it doesn’t say carpet anywhere, but ”stretching green” is a nonsense phrase so I had to make some assumptions.

Last edited:
The "Runners Square" is similar to what VIP was at the Seattle Rock n Roll marathon this past year. Open air (except for the food, which was in a 3-sided tent), chairs and tables with heaters nearby, private gear check, private bathrooms and parking. For the pre- and post-race VIP option, it included a quick massage, open bar and post race food. Given how much the "gold" VIP went for, it's in the ballpark, I suppose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter