Marathon Weekend 2020

I definitely thought about cutting the course on my last Marathon because we had a ton of out and backs and I was tired. 26.2 miles is a long way. I would never do it, but the thought crossed my mind.

I definitely understand thinking about it. I‘m pretty sure I’ve thought about it at almost every course cutting opportunity of every race I’ve ever run; but more from the “boy, it would be nice to be on mile 20 instead of mile 16” perspective. ETA: I think there is a pretty big gap between thinking about and doing in this case.

During my full last fall, I seriously considered knocking over a small child on a bike, stealing it and riding it to the finish. Would that count as course cutting? :rotfl:

Awesome!! OK. Who is mapping this out? @willieT ? @PrincessV ?
Wow, this news is music to my ears! I'm working on my map now. No Osceola Parkway! No WWoS! No out-and-back on Western Way. This course route answers my traffic flow questions about exiting OP to enter BB. Not thrilled about backtracking to Western Way after AK, but I'll take it.

Course cutting happens everywhere unfortunately and rD/Track Shack aren’t the only ones who do nothing so it’s certainly not singularly on them.
In 2017, after I ran my best race ever, I was disappointed to see several people ahead of me in the race results who obviously cheated. I sent Track Shack a list of all runners (with very clear details) of runners who either skipped a timing mat or skipped the out-back section at mile 11. I only included runners who clearly had illogical finishing times; I did not include every runner with a missed timing mat time.

I followed up twice with Track Shack . Eventually, about 50% of the runners on my list were DQ'd and removed from the results. Sadly, the *male masters* winner was not DQ'd. Even though he skipped the 20 mile mat, he is still listed in the official results as the winner. A 1:24 first half with a 1:17 second half? Not likely.
https://www.trackshackresults.com/d...7/mar_results.php?Link=62&Type=2&Div=1M&Ind=2
The reason I care so much: I love running the Mickey Marathon. I plan to run it every year until I'm too old to walk. I'll never catch up to my neighbor, who has run it every year (all 26 and counting), but this year will be #10 for me and I hope to BQ. I would be very sad if this race loses its USATF certification and is no longer considered a 'serious' race. That said, I now let Derek and Marathon Investigation handle the detective work; if people want to cheat, it is their choice.

Awesome!! OK. Who is mapping this out? @willieT ? @PrincessV ?
My new route map is complete (approximately 26.36 miles):
https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2790188485
My design guesses:
1. Epcot: I'm guessing (hoping) will not use the 'steep' overpass to enter Epcot at the start. I hope we will enter Epcot using the same path (loop) as the 'Blue Start' course from 2010/2011 -- and we will exit Epcot to World Drive using the same loop. This adds a little distance, but we avoid the overpass which is part of the HM route.

2. DAK: We *could* exit DAK using Savannah Circle, but that would be cruel. Plus, it makes more sense to combine the aid and water stations on Conservation Way for the out-and-back. Also, I believe we will exit DAK using the Asia gate, just like we used it during Mickey 2014. So, we will enter using the Africa gate, and exit thru Asia.

3. BB: I took a serious SWAG at the route within BB. One pathway thru BB includes a water cave section; not sure if the course route will include it, but we will find out on 1/12, if not sooner.

4. DHS: I'm hoping we run more in DHS this year, so I included a loop thru the back areas.

Last edited:

During my full last fall, I seriously considered knocking over a small child on a bike, stealing it and riding it to the finish. Would that count as course cutting? :rotfl:
I checked the course cutting rule book and it would only be course cutting if the said bike had training wheels or a motor. :moped: Otherwise you're good to go!:tiptoe:

I followed up twice with Track Shack . Eventually, about 50% of the runners on my list were DQ'd and removed from the results. Sadly, the *male masters* winner was not DQ'd. Even though he skipped the 20 mile mat, he is still listed in the official results as the winner. A 1:24 first half with a 1:17 second half? Not likely.
I just want to comment on his splits. I’m nowhere even close to his speed, and I know that the faster you are the harder every little minute off your time is, but one of my marathons where I had a new type of training plan, and ended up taking 30+ minutes off my PR, my first half was 2:11, and my second half was 2:01. So, while his half splits may not be likely, I would say it wouldn’t be impossible...

So would I. It’s 99% likely we do the typical in and out of DHS.
I'm hoping it's closer to 50%. Prior to the construction -- which started in 2017 -- we ran through the back areas of DHS for many years.

A little more time in DHS is not too much ask.... it's good to have hope, right? :-)

I'm hoping it's closer to 50%. Prior to the construction -- which started in 2017 -- we ran through the back areas of DHS for many years.

A little more time in DHS is not too much ask.... it's good to have hope, right? :-)
I just don’t see why or how. Wine and dine was a new course this year and they managed to have even less time in DHS.

I just want to comment on his splits. I’m nowhere even close to his speed, and I know that the faster you are the harder every little minute off your time is, but one of my marathons where I had a new type of training plan, and ended up taking 30+ minutes off my PR, my first half was 2:11, and my second half was 2:01. So, while his half splits may not be likely, I would say it wouldn’t be impossible...
It's a monster difference at that pace. My son can run 1:25 for the HM which is a 6:30mm pace. It's really hard. How many people will negative split a marathon by running 6:27 pace for first half, and then 5:53 pace for the second half? AND misses the 20 mile timing mat? AND has no pictures in the baseball stadium? Based on his paces alone, I agree that it's not impossible... but highly unlikely. Add the rest of the evidence, it's a DQ in my mind.

Last year, I checked all my race results (63 races) for any missing timing mat results. I had none. That's 250+ opportunities for a missed timing mat in major races like Chicago and NYC and Disney. Hundreds of other runners have claimed the same on other message boards. It's really rare to see a missed timing mat result. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now...

Congrats on your huge PR in the marathon that you referenced. That's an impressive accomplishment!

Where's the green army soldier going to be now?

I was all set to have another push-up contest with the green army men at W&D this year. Unfortunately there was only one on the ramp with a line to take selfies with him. There was thus also no "encouragement" from the troops on the ramp. Maybe they were just on a short leave when I ran by.

Hopefully the entire troop will be on the ramp (if we even run the ramp) for the Marathon in January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter