Marathon Weekend 2020

I didn't run the marathon this year, just last year and in 2013, so I have a question.

How did the course differ in the Boardwalk area?

I'm contemplating a stay at Boardwalk for 2020 and want to ensure that it is easy viewing from Boardwalk during the marathon for my travel partner - my mom.

You know. If I choose to go in 2020.

I didn't run the marathon this year, just last year and in 2013, so I have a question.

How did the course differ in the Boardwalk area?

I'm contemplating a stay at Boardwalk for 2020 and want to ensure that it is easy viewing from Boardwalk during the marathon for my travel partner - my mom.

You know. If I choose to go in 2020.
Didn’t differ too much instead that you ran on the actual boardwalk instead of the YC/BC side.

That was a change from 18 to 19. It could change again. If staying at the boardwalk she could view on the backsides of the resort along the waterway.

For those of you who book your runDisney getaways through a TA, which agency do you use? I have a TA I love to work with, but they don’t offer any marathon weekend discounts.

Some TAs will do group rates with hotel discounts but you don’t pair that with a bib. The bib would be separate.

That's what I do. There's a travel agent in my running club and she does a group for all the RunDisney races--no bibs. We can book room only or add tickets, both are discounted. Tickets can be added later too and are still discounted. Meal plan can be added, but no discounts on that and it makes it a package so I wouldn't add it until right before you go. For what it's worth, she gets blocks at all three levels, but doesn't know what hotel she'll get from Disney--she can't pick the exact resort. When I stayed Deluxe through her, I wasn't thrilled with my room. For the mod this year, we had a great room. I don't know if that has anything to do with the discounting or if it was just my experience.

Can we talk about this....where are some good places, both in and out of the parks, to celebrate after the full? #WDWnewbiequestion
I'm partial to places that are a bit off the beaten path and on the quiet side, with an emphasis on food that sounds good on a day when I don't have much appetite. My group did GF Cafe this year and it was perfect!

Can we talk about this....where are some good places, both in and out of the parks, to celebrate after the full? #WDWnewbiequestion

All the places? :figment:

Seriously though, if there’s a place you like or would want to celebrate either in the parks or out of them it’ll likely be amazing. I don’t think there’s a wrong answer.

ETA: There are certain places that will likely require earlier planning than others (the usual suspects: Ohana, BoG, California Grill, etc. or something event specific like Storybook Dining), but I think any plan is a good one.

Last edited:

We can cover this in a future SAFD, but ... I’ve done Ohana twice and might lean toward Boma next time. I feel like Artists Point was a popular choice this year too. Tons of options.
Thank you!!! I need to take some time and go through the 2019 thread too and see what was mentioned there.

This year I did Tokyo Dining and had an amazing meal. Made better that the sushi chef ran the marathon that morning and I got to see her medal!!!

But my answer would be Epcot world showcase (whether that day or next day) because it has a lot of great places to just sit around and sip and snack.

@lhermiston

My travel agent books blocks of rooms under a group rate. They can’t be mentioned here, but I send you her info off the boards if you’d like. They usually have at least 2 resorts at each level to pick from. I don’t use the dining plan, but I think it can be added to some of the rates.
I would suggest if Lee is going Solo avoid the dining plan probably as its not worth it as a solo with that much food and a more go with the flow type trip.

SAFD: I finally got around to putting up some of the photos from past trips late last year, along with a board to display my trading pins. So those are up in my bedroom. Then there are various little things around the house; last week I got out my DCL Tervis tumbler for the first time in ages. I don't actually own too much Disney stuff in the grand scheme of things, but the ones I do have are good little reminders of when and where I got them.

Mostly, though, the touch of Disney in my home life centers on me always having at least one trip in the works (usually two). I'm itching to start making actual reservations for January 2020, but until then I've just overhauled the preliminary budget once or twice as new info came available. Got a 2021 Tokyo Disneyland trip vvvvaguely planned and tbh I should redirect my trip planning addiction to doing more research on the broad strokes of that (time of year to go, likely overall cost, that kind of thing), since right now I've got nothing beyond a general intention to go.

So I know how much it'll cost me to do the marathon trip if my housemate comes, how much it'll cost if I go solo, how much it'll cost if I go solo and do Dopey...yeah. I'm on top of it. Can it be April already? Or June?

And regarding doing "just" the marathon versus doing Dopey as a first timer, that's a question I've been asking myself and this thread as well over the last couple weeks. I feel like I'm capable of putting in the training to pull Dopey off and I think it would make for an amazing solo trip, but lately I've been leaning toward marathon-only, even if I end up solo. Setting aside the risk of not finishing (which is very real), I think I want to focus on the marathon itself, and having my first marathon be the best it can be. Leaving Dopey for later also gives me something to aspire to after I've reached that first huge goal, and I was reflecting this morning that Dopey 2022 would likely fit nicely into my general plans for the next five years' worth of trips. I may change my mind again in the next few months (and if my housemate confirms that she's able to come the point is moot, since then I'll want to make it a park-focused trip aside from the marathon near the start), but that's where my thoughts are right now.

@lhermiston

My travel agent books blocks of rooms under a group rate. They can’t be mentioned here, but I send you her info off the boards if you’d like. They usually have at least 2 resorts at each level to pick from. I don’t use the dining plan, but I think it can be added to some of the rates.

I’ll DM you.

I would suggest if Lee is going Solo avoid the dining plan probably as its not worth it as a solo with that much food and a more go with the flow type trip.

I’m leaning heavily in that direction. The dining plan was just too much food and too restricting with my schedule this past trip (even though I loved most of the places I ate).

I went to Boma after this year's half. It was perfect! Also since we were staying at AKL, it was extremely convenient.

After the marathon, I have done Be Our Guest afterwards (the masters cupcake will forever be my favorite) and a pizza from POR quick service. They are all satisfying!

I think my favorite is Raglan Road. Good food, excellent beverages and a fun (but loud) atmosphere. We did Artist Point (or whatever they call it now with Snow White) this year. I'm probably in the minority, but thought it was just ok, but admit the allure of having picture with Dopey after a Dopey might draw me back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter