Marathon Weekend 2020

I skipped this year's weekend. Will probably be back for the marathon next year. Trying to talk a friend into doing her first marathon.

I will be at Princess weekend running the half with my daughter again. Yes she will be having me run in a dress again. Now I just need to find a Princess Aurora dress that fits. Anything for my daughter and another fantastic father/daughter weekend!!!!

I turn 50 at the end of December, 2020 and will be kicking off the year with my first full marathon at WDW! ::gulp::
And because 10Ks are my favorite rD races, I'll toss that one in, too. Just learned reading the thread above that this is the unofficial Minnie/Mickey challenge. I'm terrified, but excited!

(p.s. Oswald is my favorite, so if he's the 5K theme again, I may be tempted to add it.)

I’m in for Dopey. Hopefully I can maintain this activity level for the next year, but I am currently in the hardest part of the year, so I don’t foresee that being an issue.

Edit- Should also say, as long as I stay injury free, too. One of the races is known for the spilling of blood.

Last edited:
Soooo I said I was done with Half’s until/unless they brought back the Disneyland races. Told myself I’d just stick to local 5ks and 10ks. But boy do I miss my rundisney weekends. Well here I sit...trying to figure out the logistics of doing the full! Or possibly even Goofy.....

Decisions to make .... Ive never been to WDW. I’d technically be traveling solo but sounds like a couple girlfriends might be in for Dopey so I’d at least have friends once I got there.

How fast does the Full sell out?

For 2019 only the full sold out. For 2018 the marathon did sell out, but it was a double anniversary year (25 for the marathon and 5 for Dooey). 2020 is an anniversary year for Goofy but not sure that will have much of an 8mpact.

As of right now I am in for Dopey. This will be splurge trip and probably my last RunDisney even for a long time. My mom will be with me ( house rule is no fulls unless a family member can be there just in case something happens) so I want a hotel she can walk out of and watch and go back an chill until I am done. So it is narrowed down to the Beach/ yacht club or the grand Floridian. Which is quieter? And do the monarails run on race mornings?

Yes, monaraiks run on the mornings of the half and full, but for the 5k and 10k everyone busses over.

IMO, Beach Club is going to be quieter than Grand Floridian. The reason I say this is at GF you have the fireworks from Magic Knigdom and, depending on where your room is, the music from the 10 pm parade of lights on the lagoon. Yes, from BC you can hear the fireworks from Epcot but I did not find them as loud.

For 2019 only the full sold out. For 2018 the marathon did sell out, but it was a double anniversary year (25 for the marathon and 5 for Dooey). 2020 is an anniversary year for Goofy but not sure that will have much of an 8mpact.

I'm guessing above might be an auto-correct situation but in 2019, the 5K was the only sell out.

(p.s. Oswald is my favorite, so if he's the 5K theme again, I may be tempted to add it.)

IIRC the Oswald theme/ medal reveal wasn't until after the 5K was sold out via "normal " registration.

Rundisney experts - please correct me if I'm wrong!

I don’t know if I would consider that any of the races this year were sellouts. It certainly seemed like there were far more people on the course for all of the races in 2018. I didn’t really pay close attention to which events they were still selling during the expo, but any time Dopey bibs are still available I wouldn’t say any of the races are at capacity.

ETA: Not trying to be argumentative or anything, I know 5k race registrations sold out pretty early in the process. But even after they reopened some 5k slots transferring from Dopey it doesn’t seem like they ended up with the same numbers as a capacity race.

On the registration page for RunDisney marathon weekend this past Wednesday all events except the 5K were available. I was checking that since a friend was thinking about if the half was still available.

I’m in for something in 2020 too! Maybe another Minnie/Mickey challenge?

First runDisney race was the half in 2016; then 2018 for 10k/marathon... guess I’m on an every other year plan here. Did not realize how much I was going to miss this year until it was here...found myself reading the 2019 thread for updates, and telling everyone who would listen about marathon weekend and about all my dis friends who were running!! :P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter