Marathon Weekend 2020

We are on our way home after a wonderful run-cation. Goofy was awesome, except for the heat in the last few miles of the full where I had an ice pack in one hand and a sponge in the other starting in HS. It was great meeting several of you at HH, Marathon morning, and DATW. Rise of the Resistance lived up to its hype and crowds thinned a little during the week. So another great Disney trip is in the books. See y’all at
Star Wars Rival Run!
That was hot out there, especially after AK for the back of the pack. I am unfortunately no longer Perfectly Goofy or Perfectly Dopey. I pulled myself at mile 19 because of the heat and humidity. I couldn't stay hydrated and recognized the heat stress symptoms that were setting in. So this is the first time since 2006 I have not crossed the marathon finish line. This was warmer than 2007 and 2013. I have to decide if my runDisney career is over or if I try again next year for redemption and start a new streak.

Overall 6 Perfect Goofy runners did not finish the full, so there are now 72 remaining.
So sorry to hear, but you knew what you needed to do to be safe DH is one of the 72 left, but it wasn’t easy this year. We are seriously contemplating whether to do anything longer than the half next year. I’m glad there’s a little time to decide before registration!
I just came from the doctor, who confirmed that I have the flu, Type A. Hopefully, all of us with the flu bug will be well soon. I had my flu shot back in October, so maybe it won’t be quite full-blown. I think DH is getting it, too. Vacationing can be tough!
Sorry to hear about you and others who have the flu. My family is having coughing fits, but hoping it stops there!

I'll confess that I went in thinking the new course would be amazing, and I came out hating it and wishing we had the old one back, WWOS and all. Starting from the middle of F, EP Round 1 was a hot mess: so congested it was slow walking shoulder to shoulder for stretches. Western Way was no better than Osceola in heat and sun. Friends who made it into BB were not impressed at all - they reported it being very tight and the parking lot tour awful. I miss the extra time we once had in DHS. #RIPDiscoTunnel

I'll confess that I went in thinking the new course would be amazing, and I came out hating it and wishing we had the old one back, WWOS and all. Starting from the middle of F, EP Round 1 was a hot mess: so congested it was slow walking shoulder to shoulder for stretches. Western Way was no better than Osceola in heat and sun. Friends who made it into BB were not impressed at all - they reported it being very tight and the parking lot tour awful. I miss the extra time we once had in DHS. #RIPDiscoTunnel

I agree with all of this. Wanted to love the course but Epcot starting in F was hard to get though, and Western Way broke me mentally. Last year was my first marathon, and I ended up actually liking WWOS, it had variation and character stops. But Western Way in that sun was just a long monotonous stretch of nothing, and I just wanted it to be over.

I still have at least 3 character stops that I don't have PhotoPass pics for yet. My 10K character pic (only stopped once) finally came up yesterday, so I'm trying to be patient waiting for the rest from the half.
My running partner can't get off for Marathon weekend next year (military so pretty much no chance of that changing), so I'm hoping to convince someone else to go with me. He checked his schedule and he is able to take off for Star Wars weekend 2021, so like a good friend I told him I'd run that weekend, too.

To go along with the list of characters, should we list the songs played? I want to make an inspirational playlist.

Here is what I can remember...

Start line:
Bare Necessities (new movie)
Pirates of the Caribbean (movie)
Brave-Touch the Sky

Along the Course:
Original One Little Spark
Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit
Illuminations
Stand Out- Goofy Movie
Orange Bird Song
On the Open Road- Goofy Movie
Dig a Little Deeper- Princess and the Frog
I Can go the Distance- Hercules
How Far I'll Go- Moana

I know there were a whole lot more, but I may have been delirious throughout the race. Please add what you can remember.

Wow, I still can't believe Marathon Weekend is over, and that I actually ran a marathon. DH is now planning Marathon Weekend trips for the next 3 years at least, lol.

Silly question...it turns out that I placed 3rd in my age group. Do I get something for that? Does anyone know what? The runDisney site just says that there are awards for the top 3 in each age group, but doesn't have any other specifics.
When I placed at Wine & Dine, I received a plaque in the mail about six weeks later.

I agree with all of this. Wanted to love the course but Epcot starting in F was hard to get though, and Western Way broke me mentally. Last year was my first marathon, and I ended up actually liking WWOS, it had variation and character stops. But Western Way in that sun was just a long monotonous stretch of nothing, and I just wanted it to be over.
They shotgunned 16000 or so people out in under 30 minutes because of the delay. Would have been an hour otherwise. In all reality the people starting further back started the same time they would have anyway but I’m sure congestion wasn’t pretty for awhile.

I started at the front of C and didn’t see any real bad congestion but I knew it had to be bad considering how quickly they sent everyone out.

I didn’t like the the course. I would have rathered seeing the fields at wwos instead of all the extra roads. BB was pretty dead and uninteresting.

Sorry to hear about the folks who lost perfect but on the bright side now you don’t have to keep getting up 4 days in a row 😂

Conditions were brutal. Hopefully no one got seriously hurt out there. I’ve had a trip to the er for dehydration after a race. Not good times....

To go along with the list of characters, should we list the songs played? I want to make an inspirational playlist.

Here is what I can remember...

Start line:
Bare Necessities (new movie)
Pirates of the Caribbean (movie)
Brave-Touch the Sky

Along the Course:
Original One Little Spark
Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit
Illuminations
Stand Out- Goofy Movie
Orange Bird Song
On the Open Road- Goofy Movie
Dig a Little Deeper- Princess and the Frog
I Can go the Distance- Hercules
How Far I'll Go- Moana

I know there were a whole lot more, but I may have been delirious throughout the race. Please add what you can remember.

Hmm the only other song I know I heard that isn’t listed and comes right to mind is the Goof Troop theme song.

They shotgunned 16000 or so people out in under 30 minutes because of the delay. Would have been an hour otherwise. In all reality the people starting further back started the same time they would have anyway but I’m sure congestion wasn’t pretty for awhile.

I started at the front of C and didn’t see any real bad congestion but I knew it had to be bad considering how quickly they sent everyone out.

I didn’t like the the course. I would have rathered seeing the fields at wwos instead of all the extra roads. BB was pretty dead and uninteresting.

Sorry to hear about the folks who lost perfect but on the bright side now you don’t have to keep getting up 4 days in a row 😂

Conditions were brutal. Hopefully no one got seriously hurt out there. I’ve had a trip to the er for dehydration after a race. Not good times....
I was on a bus from Pop Century at 3:10 a.m. I didn't arrive at Epcot until 5:10 a.m. because of the traffic situation. I walked over to the corrals and they were forcing everyone to enter around the "D" balloon, which means even though I was "A" I probably started with people in E and F. I can tell you it was VERY crowded from my perspective.

When I had my people call their people and told them to knock it the heck off with that terrible song.

Blocked and reported.

Put me in the former course camp, too. Seemed very congested this year and Blizzard Beach was garbage.

If they would’ve let us in the wave pool it would’ve been fine.

I mean, I got to do a little splashing around. And the rash I got from it is almost cleared up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter