Marathon Weekend 2020

The marathon. This is the marathon thread right? So it's $202.54? I first ran this marathon in 2009, but haven't run a disney race since I think 2015. I got burned out on them, but my boyfriend wants to do this as a bucket list thing so I guess I will run this expensive race once more lol! If anyone is running Pittsburgh in a few weeks give a shout!

The marathon. This is the marathon thread right? So it's $202.54?

I'll let someone else who has registered for "just" the marathon confirm the cost. The thread is for the entirety of Marathon Weekend, though, so you'll find topics ranging from discussion of the individual races during the weekend all the way to the Goofy and Dopey challenges and pretty much any combination in between. It's a catch all for the event, not just limited to one race.

I'll let someone else who has registered for "just" the marathon confirm the cost. The thread is for the entirety of Marathon Weekend, though, so you'll find topics ranging from discussion of the individual races during the weekend all the way to the Goofy and Dopey challenges and pretty much any combination in between. It's a catch all for the event, not just limited to one race.
I ran Goofy in 2012 and walked through 6 parks. Never again!! I do not recommend parks and Goofy. But I did run a PR in New Orleans after that. It's good endurance training for a faster marathon.

The marathon. This is the marathon thread right? So it's $202.54? I first ran this marathon in 2009, but haven't run a disney race since I think 2015. I got burned out on them, but my boyfriend wants to do this as a bucket list thing so I guess I will run this expensive race once more lol! If anyone is running Pittsburgh in a few weeks give a shout!

Yep, $202.54 is right.

Ugh, you guys! I can't even commit to doing the marathon yet and my FOMO has me trying to figure out how I can swing Dopey! :sad2:
Seriously! I could have written this exact same post (except I'm not sure on Dopey or Goofy, but all of a sudden today I was like oh Dopey, maybe, when 2 days ago I wouldn't have said that). Hopefully stuff will remain open into fall.

I was a little hesitant to list goals, as my specific plans for the 2020 marathon weekend are on hold based on my recovery from upcoming retrocalcaneal ostectomy. That's a fancy way of saying removing a bone spur from the back of my heel which is causing achilles tendonosis and other assorted pains. Surgery is next Friday, 4/26 with a full recovery of 6 months. I normally run my Tweedle Dumb challenge [10K and 1/2 Marathon] but have tabled the 1/2 marathon for now pending my rehab and ability to run long distance again. The good news is that I'm committed to Marathon Weekend......let me rephrase that. I have an 8 night vacation planned to WDW from 1/8 - 1/16 staying at the BCVs and am registered for the 10K! If things progress well I'll consider registering for the 1/2 in October. So, with that long-winded back drop here are my hesitant goals:
  • Register for the 10K [check]
  • Make resort reservations [check]
  • Book flights [June/July]
  • Be a good patient and listen to my doctor and wife [TBD]
  • Stationary bike in June
  • Walking in July [bootless]
  • Jog/run in September
  • Rehab at F&W in October
  • Survive the Holidays
  • Expo/10K/Possible 1/2
  • Spectate the Full from the BC/BW
  • Enjoy the Parks and go for a Gondola ride!

Last edited:
As for the average per week. I feel like I have A LOT of catching up to do 63 miles per week? I am not hitting 38 miles per week now,
Maybe your question is already resolved, but my custom @DopeyBadger plan for a very slow runner maxed out around 38 miles per week and I finished Dopey just fine. Coach says this a lot, but he is absolutely correct. When you commit to the training and trust it, it works. I felt a quiet confidence heading into my first marathon as part of Dopey because I wanted to think positive and trust my training, but my confidence soared at the end of the half marathon because I felt so much stronger at the end than I ever had before. I knew right then and there that I had a lot left in the tank so to speak.

I have a question for you. Do you do most of your training on a treadmill? I only ask because I will have to do the majority of mine on one and from what I read it's not advisable but it's the best I can do. So was wondering if there are others like me with more than 75% of running on treadmill.
I've done a lot of treadmill training. Just use the 1% incline and train.

My recommendation, for what it's worth, is to look for a plan that gives you the long run in minutes rather than miles AND has you running the day before your long run. Two reasons for this: 1) I find it easier to plan for a set amount of time into my running schedule, especially during the busy season. 2) A plan that has you running the day before your long run almost guarantees that you will be running on tired legs the next day and that can help mentally during the second half of the marathon.
That was a major part of the @DopeyBadger appeal for me. I did not want to devote 6+ hours every other weekend to the long run, but could handle spreading out the running over the entire week. It was a lot of running, but it worked.

Ugh, you guys! I can't even commit to doing the marathon yet and my FOMO has me trying to figure out how I can swing Dopey! :sad2:
Give yourself to the Dopey Side of the Force.

Parks actually can help keep the legs from stiffening. I’ve done Dopey 3 times and always do the parks.
I always do the parks. While I always try to dial it back each day after race(s) leading up to the longest distance, I handle it. I just make sure to rest frequently, do "sitting down" attractions such as stage shows extensively, and make sure if my feet start to feel it, then I need to sit down.

Still working on my marathon weekend goals. Got my TA registration last night and am all set now.

I won't be attending the marathon weekend in 2020 (but I am looking at 2021 as a potential first marathon ever) but I have a question now that registration is through Disney and not active... when registering for multiple races not as a package (5k and half, for example) can you select both at once or do you have to register for one and then register for the other?

I won't be attending the marathon weekend in 2020 (but I am looking at 2021 as a potential first marathon ever) but I have a question now that registration is through Disney and not active... when registering for multiple races not as a package (5k and half, for example) can you select both at once or do you have to register for one and then register for the other?
You can do more than one race and for more than one person in the same session. Once you complete the form, press the I want to register to another race... Until you have everything you want in your cart. Then you pay for all at once (using a single form of payment).

Link to runDisney registration thread:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/rundisney-events-and-registration-faq.3538323/

Quick question: What do people do with the 11yo DD if they attend DATW? By that time, the rest of the family will be gone. If I get a late flight, I might do part of DATW.

This trip will be part solo and park family for me this year. Do to school demands my wife only agreed to let the girls miss school on Thursday and Friday. So I have to arrive before them to get to the expo and run the 5k. Then they arrive and will be with me through the Full; and my 11yo is running the 10K with me. They will all leave either late Sunday or early Monday which will allow me to go to DATW before I leave on Tuesday.

You can do more than one race and for more than one person in the same session. Once you complete the form, press the I want to register to another race... Until you have everything you want in your cart. Then you pay for all at once (using a single form of payment).

Link to runDisney registration thread:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/rundisney-events-and-registration-faq.3538323/

Depending what races you are registering you might vary your approach rather than adding every race and then paying. The 5k sold out in about 20 minutes in both early and regular registration this year. In the past the system seemed to hold registrations after you had selected them and prevented people from clicking the link for that race until people had checked out; this year you could have a race in your cart, go to check out, and get informed that the race is no longer available.

I have this thought about once a week. I really wish 2020 was in the cards for me.

Seriously! I could have written this exact same post (except I'm not sure on Dopey or Goofy, but all of a sudden today I was like oh Dopey, maybe, when 2 days ago I wouldn't have said that). Hopefully stuff will remain open into fall.

Give yourself to the Dopey Side of the Force.

So last night on the way home we stopped at Ace to look at Chain Saws. DH has been wanting one for a while as we live in a very wooded area and often have trees down on our property and in the road after storms. Well, I told him to go ahead and get it (like $400). In the truck on the way home I said "Happy Birthday!" (his birthday was at the end of March). He said, "ok, thanks! Oh, what do you want for your birthday?" (my birthday is today!). And of course my answer was.... "Dopey!!" Lol, he just gave me the look. So, maybe??? lol

So last night on the way home we stopped at Ace to look at Chain Saws. DH has been wanting one for a while as we live in a very wooded area and often have trees down on our property and in the road after storms. Well, I told him to go ahead and get it (like $400). In the truck on the way home I said "Happy Birthday!" (his birthday was at the end of March). He said, "ok, thanks! Oh, what do you want for your birthday?" (my birthday is today!). And of course my answer was.... "Dopey!!" Lol, he just gave me the look. So, maybe??? lol
Happy Birthday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter