Marathon Weekend 2020

It's been a couple of years since I really looked at the POT requirements...I thought that for the full, you needed to use a half (or you used to). Can you really use a 10k or a 10-miler as POT for the full?

I'm doing Goofy this year (second time!) and would love to be able to submit a 10k as POT...

No to the 10K as others have said, but yes to the 10-miler!

Not sure if anyone has any insight on this. Now that we are officially registered for the half, we are trying to decide where to stay. Leaning towards Beach Club, but haven’t decided 100% yet. I read in one of the Facebook groups that some of the resorts are already booked for Marathon weekend. I know that you can’t book online yet since 2020 rates haven’t been announced, so I assuming this is solely through calling to book. Should we decide fairly quickly where to stay so we can call to put a deposit down? Or is it possible that only some of the rooms were made available for the “early” deposits, so more rooms will become available once rates are announced and online booking opens? Just trying to figure out how quickly we need to make a decision on where to stay and how long to make our trip.

Not sure if anyone has any insight on this. Now that we are officially registered for the half, we are trying to decide where to stay. Leaning towards Beach Club, but haven’t decided 100% yet. I read in one of the Facebook groups that some of the resorts are already booked for Marathon weekend. I know that you can’t book online yet since 2020 rates haven’t been announced, so I assuming this is solely through calling to book. Should we decide fairly quickly where to stay so we can call to put a deposit down? Or is it possible that only some of the rooms were made available for the “early” deposits, so more rooms will become available once rates are announced and online booking opens? Just trying to figure out how quickly we need to make a decision on where to stay and how long to make our trip.

Beach Club is a DVC resort, so people that own points there can book at 11 months out. You should see if you can rent points and lock it down ASAP.

Beach Club is a DVC resort, so people that own points there can book at 11 months out. You should see if you can rent points and lock it down ASAP.
Just to clarify Beach Club and Beach Club Villas are technically separate from one another as far as booking. Yes, there are a few BCV rooms held for general cash reservations but the majority of the reservations are with points. And yes BCV owners can book 11 months out. Renting points may be an option, but I just checked BCV availability around 1/7 - 1/17 and the only thing available is a 1BR villa. Studios are sold out 1/8 - 1/12. 2BR has no availability for 1/8 and 1/10. And as far as the OP is concerned, keep checking. Expand your search to YC and BW as well if you really want an Epcot resort. Swam and Dolphin are also a backup if all else fails!

Hello :) I'm new to the Dis this year and also new to RunDisney. I'm excited for my first runDisney race which will also be my first half marathon. So far I've only ever run a 5k so I'm a little nervous. Especially since this is such a big event. Any tips would be greatly appreciated either running tips alone or specific to RunDisney! :)
I’m in the same boat as you! First half ever excited, thrilled and a bit nervous. To be honest though I think I’m more nervous about the local 10k I’m going to need to do to get a POT because it’s mostly super fast runners! (Like 6-7 minute mile people. Eep.) Excited for you too!!!

Just to clarify Beach Club and Beach Club Villas are technically separate from one another as far as booking. Yes, there are a few BCV rooms held for general cash reservations but the majority of the reservations are with points. And yes BCV owners can book 11 months out. Renting points may be an option, but I just checked BCV availability around 1/7 - 1/17 and the only thing available is a 1BR villa. Studios are sold out 1/8 - 1/12. 2BR has no availability for 1/8 and 1/10. And as far as the OP is concerned, keep checking. Expand your search to YC and BW as well if you really want an Epcot resort. Swam and Dolphin are also a backup if all else fails!

Thank you for your insights! We were thinking Beach Club, not the villas. I ended up talking with the others going on the trip, and we decided to call to put a deposit down just to be on the safe side. We decided we didn’t want to risk something not being available had we waited. We knew we wanted one of the Epcot area resorts, but since we had stayed at BC before, we just weren’t sure if we wanted to check out BW or YC instead. There was garden view available for BC, so it all worked out!

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

Usually, when Disney is depicted in media, ads, etc. we see castles, Spaceship Earth, fireworks and thrilling rides, but I think the little details play a huge role in making Walt Disney World so magical. So, for this week's Sundays are for Disney, I want to know what some of your favorite Disney details are - the little or hidden things that show the level of imagination and creativity that go into the parks.

Some of my favorites:
- Mr. Toad's gravestone outside of Haunted Mansion
- They key under the mat at Muppets 3D
- The character statues in the hub (not hidden, but definitely little and I think often overlooked)
- Hidden Mickeys

I'm looking forward to hearing your favorites. I'm sure I'll learn a thing or two and discover something to look for next time. Have a great week, everyone!

SAFD: My favorite is probably resort theming. Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge, Od Key West, Port Orleans, Grand Floridian, The Boardwalk and the Yacht and Beach Club to be specific. On almost every trip we plan at least one resort day when we just roam, relax, and eat and drink our way at different resorts.

Last edited:
Sundays are for Disney:

-All of the trash cans. The parks could be, perhaps should be, much dirtier. I’m sure it’s still a bit of a germophobe’s nightmare, but I can’t imagine them doing much better.

-The ambience. It’s intoxicating. From the music to the smells (artificially pumped in or not), it gets me every time and I’m not ashamed to admit it. It’s not necessarily a little detail, but it’s not something they can easily bottle for their commercials either.

So, for this week's Sundays are for Disney, I want to know what some of your favorite Disney details are - the little or hidden things that show the level of imagination and creativity that go into the parks.
Well I’ll start with Animal Kingdom as a whole. I feel that park is the most realistic and immersive park at WDW. It truly makes you feel like you are in different places around the world.

I always love the little details in signage or what not around. Such as Toy Story Land where they have the blocks or dominos and the letters or numbers signify different things. In SWGE there is a ship on top of a building and they have numbers on the side. Each number is the year a Star Wars films was released. Those are the things that I love about Disney.

SAFD: I love hidden Mickeys. Especially when you can tell it's a cast member's choice. We were at one of the water parks waiting for the family tube ride. There were random patches on most of the tubes, but one tube had the patch in the shape of the iconic 3 circle mickey. Tubes aren't stationary so you wouldn't see that all the time. I love random encounters like that.

Animal Kingdom Lodge has a scavenger hunt for hidden Mickeys. For DD's birthday a few years ago I took her and 3 of her friends to stay there overnight. We had so much fun looking for them. It was not easy! But now whenever we go there , even to eat at one of the restaurants, it's fun to notice them.

The cleanliness and maintenance. Considering my job is dependent on the travel and tourism trade, seeing how they keep everything so clean is amazing. The level was driven home the last time I was at Disneyland and we then took a trip to Magic Mountain, rode one coaster and went back to DL. It was pretty shocking how rough shod the park was.

Part of me would like to do some time working for Disney just to go though their training program and pick up what I can from it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter