Marathon Weekend 2020

. I really liked the Jeremy Irons version of SSE. I rode the Cronkite version but I don’t remember it.

There’s also shark reef at typhoon lagoon.

The two things I wish I could have tried are:
surfing at the Polynesian with the wave machine
Snorkeling with fish in storm along bay.
I’ve got the shark reef under my belt. Sucked a bunch of water in when the rays swam at me.

I’ve got the shark reef under my belt. Sucked a bunch of water in when the rays swam at me.
The shark reef was a neat experience. The fish in Stormalong bay is just such a bonkers idea it would have been really neat to experience. I don't think they had it long though as I can't seem to even find pictures of the Beach Club/Yacht Club that show it. I think they only had it for about a year in 1990 or 1991

Last edited:

Oh god. I can’t even imagine how to pull that off. You mean actual menu items?

I could see doing a tournament of restaurants some time...
Boma!

No when it opened it was just "Submarine Voyage" not 20K leagues under the sea. In the 2000s it was revamped as Finding Nemo's Submarine voyage. It's still really neat and the Lagoon is really cool looking at night.
Before my time, they actually had real live mermaids! I’m not sure if it was a promotional thing, or a regular feature.

Before my time, they actually had real live mermaids! I’m not sure if it was a promotional thing, or a regular feature.
The articles I've found say they were there in the summers from 64-67.

The closest thing they have to that in florida is Weeki Wachee. It's not a bad day trip from DisneyWorld and the paddleboarding from there is really nice.

Fun trivia fact (well, fun for me) regarding Disneyland's Submarine Voyages and the subject of mermaids:

The Sip 'n Dip Lounge in Great Falls (dubbed The Campiest Place on Earth by the NY Times) features live mermaids swimming in a hotel pool you can see into from a window in the tiki bar. According to the owner, the decorations in the pool were inspired by the submarine ride at Disneyland, and when she heard the ride was shut down for a refurb she wrote to Disney...and Disney sent her a box of seaweed from the ride.

Makes a good local story, at least.

Fun trivia fact (well, fun for me) regarding Disneyland's Submarine Voyages and the subject of mermaids:

The Sip 'n Dip Lounge in Great Falls (dubbed The Campiest Place on Earth by the NY Times) features live mermaids swimming in a hotel pool you can see into from a window in the tiki bar. According to the owner, the decorations in the pool were inspired by the submarine ride at Disneyland, and when she heard the ride was shut down for a refurb she wrote to Disney...and Disney sent her a box of seaweed from the ride.

Makes a good local story, at least.
That's really neat. I was excited when I saw Great Falls as I thought that might be close to my parents house in Great Falls virginia. It looks like this place is in Great Falls, Montana.

Had my first Dopey nightmare last night! Hoping theres not many more of those!
Just wait until taper time.

That's really neat. I was excited when I saw Great Falls as I thought that might be close to my parents house in Great Falls virginia. It looks like this place is in Great Falls, Montana.

Oh, yeah. I forgot to specify! We're about halfway between Glacier National Park and Yellowstone. It's not as "soul-deadening" as the NYT would have you believe.

I have finally decided my plan for Marathon weekend 2020. I ran the Dopey this year and finished strong but my running goal is to PR my next Marathon which will be the Phoenix in Feb 2020. So I am going to run the 10k and half.
It will be a shorter trip and my sister will join in the fun. DVC all booked.
Marathon weekend is my favorite rundisney event.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if being a Disneyland AP holder allows me to register during AP registration for marathon weekend or is that just for WDW AP holders?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter