Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: no tattoos for me. Plus I’ve always wanted to be a rebel and when I was young :hippie:a tattoo signified that. Now that tattoos are normal I’ve decided that makes me a rebel, and I love telling my children that and see their eyes roll :laughing:

No tattoos here either. I have thought about it. Came close to doing a breast cancer related one as I am a survivor but talked myself out of it.

As far as resorts for Marathon weekend. I don’t think there is a bad one just depends on your budget and park plan.
If you aren’t planning on a lot of park time then a Deluxe or DVC resort is nice choice.

Sorry if this has already been asked; my wife and I are running the half marathon in January. We are interested in what the best resorts to stay at for marathon weekend? For background purposes, my wife is the runner, I am not so this will be a difficult ordeal for me train for. Also, i am signed up to run with the American Cancer Society team, as i am currently going through chemotherapy for stage 4 esophageal cancer (diagnosed in November 2018, spread to liver and pancreas); all tumors are shrinking drastically up to this point. Thank you in advance for the advice.

Glad to hear that the tumors are shrinking. As others have said best is subjective. For us when DW finished Chemo minimizing superfluous walking was one of our key desires. ( I realize that may be a lower priority given that you're there for a half marathon) As a result we chose Beachclub. It had a lot of close restaurants to eat at and it was walking distance to Epcot.

If you have a car you might want to choose a resort where you can park close to your room. We like POR and POFQ for that, but all moderates seem to have pretty good options for that.

In general there is not a bad resort for Marathon Weekend. Pick the resort you like for your budget and and you won't go wrong.

SAFD: I got an M-dot on the back of my right calf after I did my one and only full IM in 2014. I did Disney-fy it - the dot part is Minnie's head (solid black w/ red bow). No regrets - that tat means a lot to me!! But no plans to get another one anytime soon.

I don't have any tatoos, but if I ran a full Iron Man something like this (Mickey Ears not Mickey's bow) would tempt me.

I live in GA. I had a friend run the Cruel Jewel last year. I went and did some support. It really is a beast. Good luck. It is grueling.

You are right about CJ100. I am disappointed to report that it chewed me up and spit me out. Had to drop at mile 31 due to dehydration and GI issues. Grueling is an understatement. I will be having nightmares about the Dragon's Spine for a while! :(

Wow. Okay. Well I guess I am in the minority here. But I just want to state that I really don't care about what anyone thinks of my tattoos and I REALLY think you should hold your judgement on what they will look like when I am older. You're just being rude and it's uncalled for.

I have a lot of tattoos. None are Disney or running related, but mainly because I haven't really come up with anything I like yet.

Um..... My comment about tattoo aging was solely an input in my own thought process about whether I would have one, and it would be one of the factors I would consider. Sorry if it pissed you off. It wasn't meant to malign anyone else's choice.

upload_2019-5-20_15-35-26.jpeg

Are you kidding me?!?!?!?! Last year I sign up for the 5k because of the Pluto theme, they give me Oswald. This year I sign up for the 10k (because of the course) and they give me Oswald... meanwhile adding Pluto back to the 5k? RunDisney... you are killing me!!!

Last edited:
View attachment 401950

Are you kidding me?!?!?!?! Last year I sign up for the 5k because they f the Pluto theme, they give me Oswald. This year I sign up for the 10k (because of the course) and they give me Oswald... meanwhile adding Pluto back to the 5k? RunDisney... you are killing me!!!
Minnie gets ousted and doesn’t even get her own race.

Sad Minnie loses her own race, but like the fact they didn't just drop her. Also seems to be part of the trend where she and Mickey are equals, which I'm good with (Capt. Mickey and Capt. Minnie on DCL now for example).

However, not a fan of the retro looking pictures. Suppose it means my wallet will get more of a break assuming the merch uses these too.

It’s kind of strange that the 10K has all four parks on it.

I know that intrigues me and makes me wonder if they break dopey bibs up if it would be worth my while to sign up

If that’s going to be the case, they better have Dr Strange setting up the course.

Not a big fan of their decision to force Oswald down our throat. News flash, RunDisney, just because a character is old and owned by Disney, it’s not necessarily a “classic” character. If you think the solution to Marathon Weekend attendance is shuffling up the themes, try inserting a character that people have a history or bond with. Daisy and Chip and Dale (wouldn’t that be nuts) both pop to mind.

If that’s going to be the case, they better have Dr Strange setting up the course.

Not a big fan of their decision to force Oswald down our throat. News flash, RunDisney, just because a character is old and owned by Disney, it’s not necessarily a “classic” character. If you think the solution to Marathon Weekend attendance is shuffling up the themes, try inserting a character that people have a history or bond with. Daisy and Chip and Dale (wouldn’t that be nuts) both pop to mind.

I would love a Chip & Dale theme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts