Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD:

Typically I'll just get something simple in the morning at a quick service, but Kona Cafe and Be Our Guest are my breakfast favorites. I know that BOG gets a fair amount of flack for having an overpriced and/mediocre breakfast, but I really like it. While it is definitely overpriced, I love the Croque Madam and the pastries. At Kona I like pretty much everything, although the last few times I thought the Tonga toast was a bit lacking. To be honest, twice it just tasted a little stale—like it had been made about a half hour to even an hour earlier and then just sat there. I'll still get it again, but probably not right away.

They need to serve more breakfasts in the parks for quick serve really. I know they've tried at some, but it seems nothing ever lasts which is too bad.
Agreed. My biggest breakfast challenge is that some days I need to wait an hour or two before eating breakfast whereas other days I'm fine to eat it within 60 minutes of waking up. If the wait days occur when I'm at Disney World, I often wind up in no man's land because I don't feel like breakfast in the room, but once I'm in the parks that I need it and there are no good options. Disneyland is much better in this area. The breakfast options are more plentiful even inside the parks.

We usually do breakfast on the run or stop at Starbucks which isn't great but easy. But we also enjoy a table service breakfast and we usually do it late in the morning so it doubles as a brunch/early lunch.

One place not mentioned yet is the Garden Grove at the Swan. It is one of the least expensive table service breakfast locations at WDW (character breakfast on weekends). It is a pretty straightforward buffet but they have a custom omelette station, these incredible yummy fresh/natural smoothies and some of the best bakery items from a world renowned executive pastry chef all at a relatively reasonable price - for Disney...

Last edited:
I said I wouldn't since I got into NYC, but I am very close to pulling the trigger on Dopey. This would be my 3rd DM but first Dopey. I am getting the slippery slope I've read about for 2+ years. Started with, I could do Goofy this year to prepare for Dopey '21. Well, the wife would prefer the 10k to the half, so, what's two more mornings and 9.3 more miles? I think I have an addiction (but at least, as my wife points out, a healthy one).

Couple of questions for the experts here...

1. What is the likelihood of more 10k bibs becoming available? Are there travel agents that have some?

2. Any idea when January will become available to book on the website? I probably should just call, but prefer using the web to compare resorts. I have a strong leaning towards Pop or Art.

Thanks in advance.

I said I wouldn't since I got into NYC, but I am very close to pulling the trigger on Dopey. This would be my 3rd DM but first Dopey. I am getting the slippery slope I've read about for 2+ years. Started with, I could do Goofy this year to prepare for Dopey '21. Well, the wife would prefer the 10k to the half, so, what's two more mornings and 9.3 more miles? I think I have an addiction (but at least, as my wife points out, a healthy one).

Couple of questions for the experts here...

1. What is the likelihood of more 10k bibs becoming available? Are there travel agents that have some?

2. Any idea when January will become available to book on the website? I probably should just call, but prefer using the web to compare resorts. I have a strong leaning towards Pop or Art.

Thanks in advance.

If past years hold true, January should be bookable in a couple of weeks. As for travel agents, I don't understand why the RD site has no travel providers (in general, the same bunch) for any of the upcoming races. But a quick Google search turns up travel providers and there are bibs available.

Thanks in advance.

They sent an email to travel agents that says they'll be available online starting June 18. You can call them now.

Thanks. I don't like talking to people on the phone, but I may need to just call. :eeyore:

I also dislike talking to people on the phone. But worrying about what may happen when rooms become available online, I called yesterday. She was one of the nicest people and the automated system before talking to her made the whole process go smoothly. It asked for my name and some other info, matched all my information to the system so she just had to double check who I was and find out where I wanted to stay and when.

For those who have stayed off property and driven in (i.e., locals or cash savvy individuals), how did it work for you with driving? How were the roads and did you face any closures? Arriving at 3:30am and hanging out in the car until the long walk to Wonder Lot work out okay?

I'm not sure when rooms will be released for on-property stay. I'm debating staying either at a time share exchange off property (about 15 mins off site) or at the Best Western near Disney Springs. Would love to know from anyone who has done this how it went. I'm not sure that an All Stars or Pop stay is within budget at the moment, even with the costs of splitting a room for five nights.

For those who have stayed off property and driven in (i.e., locals or cash savvy individuals), how did it work for you with driving? How were the roads and did you face any closures? Arriving at 3:30am and hanging out in the car until the long walk to Wonder Lot work out okay?

I'm not sure when rooms will be released for on-property stay. I'm debating staying either at a time share exchange off property (about 15 mins off site) or at the Best Western near Disney Springs. Would love to know from anyone who has done this how it went. I'm not sure that an All Stars or Pop stay is within budget at the moment, even with the costs of splitting a room for five nights.
2020 rooms get released June 18th.

I always stay offsite for marathon weekend and probably always will! I live 100 miles from WDW, so I drive there and have my car, which makes a difference. The last 4 years, I've been staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek resort, which is basically next door to CBR, to give you an idea of distance and logistics. I like leave my resort within 15 minutes of the time onsite race buses start running: buses usually start at 3am for the half and full, so I leave by 3:15am, for instance. No traffic, no road closures (I take Buena Vista Dr. to World Dr., straight into EP), and it's never been more than a 5-7 minute drive. I don't hang out in my car; I start the walk into the pre-race area, hit a porta-potty, and meet up with my running group before heading to corrals.

I've stayed at hotels on Palm Pkwy a bit past Disney Springs and off 192 near AK for other race weekends and they're just as easy - just tack on 5-10 more minutes of driving time.

I’m “just” doing the marathon - and am curious when other WDW marathoners start their official training??
Not really what you asked at all, but since I have a 50 miler in November I’m probably going to DNF that and take two weeks off afterward, and then drop myself into the Galloway plan wherever it is at that point.

Cape May Cafe breakfast buffet was awesome the couple of times we stayed at Beach Club and ate there after the half marathon! But that may have been partially because I was tired and starving. Boma is awesome and has been our favorite "leaving Disney" breakfast because of the huge number of choices - standard and unique. Of course, any bakery has variety, from breakfast sandwiches to pastries, but Les Halles is my first choice there!
DH is a BIG breakfast eater, but if it's not served someplace special, I generally have a bottle of chocolate milk and call it done until lunchtime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter