Marathon Weekend 2020

Let's talk hotels..... DVC properties are booked solid, which is expected because the 11month rule and all that.... but what about booking a traditional hotel. I'm thinking of booking a moderate, probably the Port Orleans. I'm staying at the All Starts Music for an upcoming trip in September but not sure if I want to do a value for Dopey.

Questions:
1 - For those who have stayed at Value and Moderates, which did you like best for quiet, comfort, and all around just enjoyable times.
2 - Any specific hotel you recommend? I know all offer the same things but just wanted to know if there's a preference based on certain things, like food, bed comfort, logistics, etc.
3 - I may consider doing a deluxe again but not sure the spend is worth it. Just saying ;)

For values/moderates...I have stayed at Pop and POR. POR bayou section is nice and relaxed. Rooms at both places are fine. Food court at POR has good choices for pre-race fueling. I took the race bus from POR and it was fine. I drove from Pop (stayed there in 2018 for first two nights of Dopey then AKL). I have gone from a Pop-detractor to a Pop-aficionado. Honestly, it provides more value for the money (pardon the pun). I like to get a room looking out on the lake and I prefer rooms far from the amenities (I value peace and quiet!---well, as much as you can get at Disney)

Let's talk hotels..... DVC properties are booked solid, which is expected because the 11month rule and all that.... but what about booking a traditional hotel. I'm thinking of booking a moderate, probably the Port Orleans. I'm staying at the All Starts Music for an upcoming trip in September but not sure if I want to do a value for Dopey.

Questions:
1 - For those who have stayed at Value and Moderates, which did you like best for quiet, comfort, and all around just enjoyable times.
2 - Any specific hotel you recommend? I know all offer the same things but just wanted to know if there's a preference based on certain things, like food, bed comfort, logistics, etc.
3 - I may consider doing a deluxe again but not sure the spend is worth it. Just saying ;)

POFQ is my absolute favorite for race weekends. They’ve semi-recently upgraded the food court, the resort is small, minimizing the walking around between races and when buses are shared with POR they stop at POFQ first. The boat to DS is a very pleasant trip, as well.

Pro tip: request to stay in Building 4. It’s in a sweet spot corner that minimizes the distances to both food court and buses.

All that being said, I’m looking forward to trying CBR this year so I can try out the gondolas.

Questions:
Different take for resorts from me. We have stayed at every WDW resort, most more than once. The Values are noisy and have the least comfortable beds. We still stay there, but only for very short stays because of the two factors mentioned. The Mods are all quieter, and all have comfortable beds. IMO, the best Mod for quiet is CBR because it is so spread out. I also love the Deluxe resorts, but they are not worth the money to us.

But the truth is that we almost never stay on site for races anymore. We stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. It is right next to CBR, so just as close as WDW resorts. You have to drive to the races, but that has more benefits than drawbacks. And it is a far better value than any resort on WDW property.

Questions:

I have stayed at Pop Century, Coronado, and Port Orleans Riverside. I would probably opt for the moderate because sometimes the prices at the values are surprisingly close to those of the moderate (at least they were last year) and I think the best buy at WDW is the moderates. They are better themed and the rooms are, in my opinion, considerably bigger. The biggest thing I noticed was in the value if the person next door sneezed, it sounded like they might have been in my room, whereas I have found that to be less of an issue at the moderates. All were excellent but for a moderate I would probably opt for Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter. I like how relaxing PORS is, but it is a huge property. So, for marathon weekend, both are great, but POFQ might be better for getting around with tired legs because it is smaller. Still, PORS has such nicely landscaped grounds that really make you feel relaxed, so I might be willing to put up with the extra walking.

For deluxe resorts, the monorail resorts are nice...because of the monorail in the mornings. I think the monorails are easier for getting to the race, but I think the buses are more convenient for getting back to any hotel after the race. Another issue that is easy to forget about is if you are doing Dopey: proximity to the parks. I would probably opt for a monorail resort because it is quicker to get to the magic kingdom, which has both the most attractions while also being one of the smallest parks (walking wise). Epcot resorts can get you in trouble if you are trying to minimize unnecessary walking before the longer races. Sure, the Boardwalk is next to Epcot, but the park is huge and the walk is still pretty far. So, you might be surprised how quickly you are packing on the miles each day. I have mixed feelings about shelling out the extra cash to stay at a deluxe resort. They are nice, but they are usually 100-400 dollars per night more than a moderate. While I feel there is a pretty big jump in quality and space from the value to the moderate, I don't see nearly the same jump from the moderate to the deluxe. If you doing Dopey and you are like me, you may be planning to spend more time at the resorts on some days than at the parks. Consequently, I am willing to pay the extra money for the moderate or even deluxe because of that and will be planning on taking advantage of all that the resorts have to offer.

POFQ is my absolute favorite for race weekends. They’ve semi-recently upgraded the food court, the resort is small, minimizing the walking around between races and when buses are shared with POR they stop at POFQ first. The boat to DS is a very pleasant trip, as well.

Lurker checking in and +1ing POFQ.

Building 3 is also pretty sweet with the following caveat: we found the Garden View worth the extra $$$. If you don't go for GV, the room may be facing Epcot, which means your non-racers will hear fireworks every 5 minutes.

Love the boat to DS and its a nice walk to PO RiverSide.

Questions:

I am now DVC but I’ll add a vote for POFQ. For 6 or 7 trips down that was our go to resort. It’s beautiful, small, not crowded, big pool, only one bus stop, has boat access to Disney Springs, and a fantastic food court area. Look for pool or garden view (I think buildings 2 or 5) to be close to lobby, food, and bus

Epcot resorts can get you in trouble if you are trying to minimize unnecessary walking before the longer races. Sure, the Boardwalk is next to Epcot, but the park is huge and the walk is still pretty far. So, you might be surprised how quickly you are packing on the miles each day.

I just went back to check my activity app on my iPhone, on marathon day I logged 40.69 miles. I walked an extra half marathon after running one! I was staying at Dolphin.

Questions:

I stayed at Pop in 17 and POR in 19. Both were just fine. The drawbacks on POR is it’s spread out and has multiple bus stops, but I love how quiet it is.

I did get on and off at POFQ a couple of times and really loved the resort. If it works out, I’d like to stay there for whenever my next marathon weekend.

Questions:

Are you eligible for Shades of Green (military, retired military, DoD civilian)? It looks like they're booked up on Friday and Saturday nights, but, if you're eligible, this is a great choice in the future...

SAFD: Characters kind of freak me out, but I suck it up to fan-girl all over Emperor Palpatine at the SW races! Emperor hugs are the best hugs. :rotfl:
Speaking of creepy characters, have you seen the new Bo Peep? Some serious uncanny valley, just like Disneyland Paris’s Jessica Rabbit.

“My skin is made of plastic, so the blood washes off easily.”

SAFD: I don’t normally do character meet and greets. I met Ariel in high school once which really seemed to upset my then GF. And I really enjoyed chip and dale at Storyteller two years ago. My goal for marathon weekend is as many meet and greets as I can during the race and try to take my sweet *** time.

Readjusting my goals currently, too. I started to get distracted by trying to push for a higher corral goal. My goal is weight loss and not outright (relative) performance and unless I lose this next 40-50#, it’s only gonna hinder performance.

Questions:
Sorry if someone already said this and I missed it. Value Resorts do not have hot tubs. Normally I hate hot tubs, but I like soaking in one after a race.

I've stayed at Pop Century, Art of Animation, the All Stars, Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter. For the Value Resorts, I like Pop Century. It's newer and I like the rooms. With the gondolas coming, it will be even better. Art of Animation was nice too. I love the Port Orleans resorts and the French Quarter is my favorite hotel to stay. I love the theming and they have beignets at the food court. It's also half the size of the other moderate resorts. If it's just me or going with one of my friends and we're going to spend almost all of our time in the parks, I usually opt for Value. When I took my daughters last summer, keeping in mind they'd be sharing a bed, I went with POR because of the larger beds.

I have stayed at Pop for two race weekends, Bay Lake Tower, Port Orleans Riverside, Saratoga Springs, and Beach Club. My next race weekend will be at Caribbean Beach.

I’ve never had any issues with any of them. My favorite was Bay Lake Tower because of the monorail to the start. Beach Club was amazing as well. I’m excited for CBR with the Skyliner.

I have stayed at Pop, CBR, and Coronado Springs for race weekends. Pop has been my favorite and was most convenient for race weekend. I was not too fond of CBR as it is very spread out and felt like you had to walk a lot to get anywhere. At CBR I stayed in the Jamaica area. I am staying in POP for 2020 Dopey.

Sorry if someone already said this and I missed it. Value Resorts do not have hot tubs. Normally I hate hot tubs, but I like soaking in one after a race.
I learned after doing Goofy in 2017 that the hot tubs close when the temps get under 45 degrees (or there abouts)...ugh. Even at SOG, they follow Disney resort guidance for hot tubs. I was a little shocked about the hot tubs after skiing many times and the hot tub was the highlight of the afternoon!

You guys are soo amazing and thank you for all the feedback. I am definitely leaning towards either POFQ or CBR right now, but if a Deluxe opens up with a "within a threshold" dollar difference I may go for it.

That said - you've made me rethink my Value room for my September Birthday (Not) Surprise trip in 90ish days. Going to see what I can squeeze into that is not a value. When someone said you can hear through the walls and people sneezing - that makes me worried. :(

You guys are soo amazing and thank you for all the feedback. I am definitely leaning towards either POFQ or CBR right now, but if a Deluxe opens up with a "within a threshold" dollar difference I may go for it.

That said - you've made me rethink my Value room for my September Birthday (Not) Surprise trip in 90ish days. Going to see what I can squeeze into that is not a value. When someone said you can hear through the walls and people sneezing - that makes me worried. :(

I’ve never had sound issues at a value. Do you think you’ll even be there that much? For me, my Disney hotel is largely a place to rest my head between park close and rope drop (though I do appreciate good on site dining).

We’ve stayed many times at the values and never experienced a noise issue. In fact our very best race transportation and overall vacation was from the pop. I would not hesitate to book a value for race weekends. And the renovated pop rooms seem really nice!

I usually stay at Deluxe when traveling with my family and, if money was no object, would go back to the Beach Club in a heartbeat. For the only race weekend I did (WnD2017), I stayed at Pop in a newly renovated room (queen beds). I actually enjoyed it a lot. With the frig, coffee maker and the two food courts (AoA and Pop), I was able to eat what I wanted when I wanted. That is where I am currently booking for Dopey 2020 and the family is onboard too! I have mixed feelings about the Skyliner, mostly because of DM fear of heights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!