Marathon Weekend 2020

SAFD: Top three

1. Running down Main Street during Marathon weekend. I’ve done it doing the princess half as well but nothings beats coming in with the tree still up and the lights still on the castle.

2. World Showcase during the 5k and 10k in the dark. The torches lit and music blaring is an awesome experience.

3. World showcase to the finish line for the marathon. I know I’ve mentioned world showcase twice but to me it is a different experience. Something about knowing you have a mile to go and the cast members and spectators cheering you on. Plus they pipe in all the Disney songs that will make you cry.

In no particular order:

1. I love the HS part of the Marathon. Hollywood Boulevard is usually full of spectators by the time I get there and it's a fun environment! Plus, I know that I am in the home stretch!!

2. I have to agree with everyone about World Showcase in the dark. The lights on the buildings, the torches, the fact that they play actual Disney music... it's the best

3. I will never NOT cry running down Main Street, so I assume that means it's one of my favorites.

*honorable mention* I certainly do not enjoy WWOS, but that wet sponge at the entrance this year may have been my favorite experience during the entire marathon. #sohot

I’ll be in WDW at Saratoga from the 5th-10th. Not sure I want to brave the humidity though. Not used to that.
I was there last week. Running is doable if you get up early (6:30-7:00) and run before the heat sets in. DH and I did 5 miles at CBR. We were running by 7:00 and got back to the room, showered, ate breakfast, caught the bus, and still got to HS just after rope drop. Oh, wait, I forgot "get up early" is not what young folks do!
After HS, we walked over to EPCOT for the afternoon and then saw our last Illuminations. I'll miss it!

I was there last week. Running is doable if you get up early (6:30-7:00) and run before the heat sets in. DH and I did 5 miles at CBR. We were running by 7:00 and got back to the room, showered, ate breakfast, caught the bus, and still got to HS just after rope drop. Oh, wait, I forgot "get up early" is not what young folks do!
After HS, we walked over to EPCOT for the afternoon and then saw our last Illuminations. I'll miss it!
Maybe I’ll run a day or two while I’m there. I’ve never actually run at a resort. The early part isn’t easy though ;)

SAFD:

1. "Running" through the Osborne Lights during W&D when it was a night race. Lots more walking, with occasional sitting, than running, but definitely my favorite stretch of any Disney races.

2. Bear Island Rd. during the Star Wars Half, when it becomes a battle zone, complete with lasers, blasters, and Vader's breathing. ~chills!~

3. Any long, wide stretch of highway - basically World Dr. and Osceola: a couple miles to spread out the crowd, get into a groove and coast.

Bonus addition: the Adventurers' Club character stop in any Disney race. KUNGALOOSH!! :drinking1

SAFD:
#1 - My first runDisney race was in 2014 at Disneyland. I signed up for the Dumbo Double Dare. The 10k was my first race and going to be my longest race to date (until the Half Marathon the next day). I had NEVER been to Disney California Adventure. So the first park we ran into was DCA through backstage straight into Radiator Springs. The actual sunrise coming up over the mountains of Radiator Springs brought tears to my eyes. It was so beautiful. I will never ever forget that.
#2 - Always and forever running down Main Street, USA and seeing the castle. Feels every single time.
#3 - Going through World Showcase because they always play the exact right songs you need to be hearing towards the end of the race.
Honorable Mention #4 - The parking lot area after AK during the Marathon this year that was full of people handing out snacks and jello shots. They were my mile 14 lifesavers.

Least favorite:
#1 - That part between WWoS and HS during mile 22 when they played "Sweet Caroline" on repeat. F that part.

Least favorite:
#1 - That part between WWoS and HS during mile 22 when they played "Sweet Caroline" on repeat. F that part.

SAME! Everyone hates on running through WWoS but I dread this section till we get to Hollywood Studios. First I have to run up that hill where that Toy Story soldier is gonna yell at me to keep moving then I get to hear that song over and over again because I feel like I'm dragging. I hate it more than that out and back before AK.

BUM BUM BUM
Shhh don’t tell @jennamfeo that it’s on my running playlist!!

Disneyland races:
1. Running down Main Street...all the feels
2. Cars Land...either with the sun coming up which is totally magical and worthy of tears or when it’s still dark and all the neon lights are on.
3. In DCA running while it’s still dark in that area by Grizzly River Run and The Grand Californian....even though the ground tends to be slippery and I have to be super careful not to fall, I just love how peaceful it feels.

Worst: miles 8-11 just suck no matter what.

Well, although I haven't registered for a race yet, I did reserve a room today. Think I may actually do this again. I currently have Pop and Art reserved and want to cancel one (didn't mean to but Art became available right after I finished Pop). The prices are fairly close, any reason to do one over the other? It seems Art has two double beds whereas Pop has two queen but one is a pull out (not sure how comfortable that is). Thanks in advance.

Well, although I haven't registered for a race yet, I did reserve a room today. Think I may actually do this again. I currently have Pop and Art reserved and want to cancel one (didn't mean to but Art became available right after I finished Pop). The prices are fairly close, any reason to do one over the other? It seems Art has two double beds whereas Pop has two queen but one is a pull out (not sure how comfortable that is). Thanks in advance.

I was looking at the same thing. Also wondering if those murphy beds are comfortable...

Thanks @rteetz for the drop date on the rooms. I am booked 1/8-13 at the Port Orleans Riverside - Princess Royal Room. :yay:

Everyone on here was great in sharing their feedback and I appreciate you all in helping me pick my perfect room. I am excited to be surrounded by my favorite characters in a cheesy themed room that is near Disney Springs and close enough for hotel hopping so I can eat and explore. This will be a "no parks trip" and I am psyched to enjoy the other areas that Disney World has to offer.

Huzzah.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter