Marathon Weekend 2020

You should easily be able to change with that flight arrival time difference--and you should be able to pick same class (e.g. Main Cabin) with no fare class difference +/_ one day. You might also be able to cancel without penalty if no flight works for you. Call and be persistent (but polite!)
I was able to change to something that might actually work better in the long run. Getting in closer to 9am on Wednesday now. Also
Flying home a little earlier which I kinda wanted anyway.

Last edited:
I don't really believe in luck so won't say anything else about that. If you look at my avatar you'll see I'm wearing a race shirt. I typically don't but I had my favorite short sleeve shirt underneath and the race was cooler than I planned for and since I had a new long sleeve shirt I decided last minute to wear it. I honestly thought I was going to hand it off to my wife around the Grand Floridian but ended up wearing the entire race.

Now, I would never wear a "I did it" shirt before actually "doing it" since until then, it is a lie.
Well, that is a legitimate reason to wear it!

+1 for not having any feelings about ill-luck or bad juju from wearing a race shirt for its actual race, or for buying "I did it!" merch before racing, or any of that. I don't wear race shirts for their respective races because 1. I'm very allergic to fabric dyes and coatings and have to launder clothes before wearing, and 2. I don't like the fit or feel of rD race shirts: I'll wear them after a race to celebrate (after laundering!), but that's usually the one and only time.

I will say that some local races near me really encourage folks to wear the race shirts for the race because they like the spirit of it and it makes for great photo ops when the're a sea of runners in the same shirt!

I can’t agree with this sentiment more. While running the marathon in 2014 (I did Dopey), I passed a man wearing an “I Did it” shirt for the Dopey Challenge sitting at a medical tent about mile 21. I don’t know if he finished or not, I really hope he did, but my first thought was “why would you tempt fate like that”.

I did buy an I Did It shirt at the Expo before my first marathon, just because I was pretty sure I'd finish and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get it after the race. But I didn't wear it until after I finished.

I did buy an I Did It shirt at the Expo before my first marathon, just because I was pretty sure I'd finish and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get it after the race. But I didn't wear it until after I finished.

I am probably going to want a Dopey "I did it" shirt (for my first Dopey). My thought is I would buy it at the expo to ensure I get the size I want but of course not wear it until I actually do it. If for some reason I don't, that's what eBay is for.

Wearing the shirt of the exact race you are doing is a little, uhhh, ummmm, weird.
1561474012666.png

Here is the one exception. I run the Big10K every year. Each runner chooses the shirt of the school they want to represent, and about 99% of the 8,000 wear it for the race. I alternate between Purdue where I went for my first two undergrad years, Northwestern where I went to grad school, and Illinois where my daughter did her undergrad and grad studies.

I am probably going to want a Dopey "I did it" shirt (for my first Dopey). My thought is I would buy it at the expo to ensure I get the size I want but of course not wear it until I actually do it. If for some reason I don't, that's what eBay is for.
Not trying to jinx you or anything, but anything you purchase from the runDisney booths at the expo should be able to be returned to any Disney merchandise location on property (even at your resort).

I am totally paranoid about wearing the race t-shirt before or during the race, but all the power to those that do not have such superstitions. Because of this superstition, I never buy anything at the expo other than something like a coffee cup...and every year I regret it!

View attachment 411609

Here is the one exception. I run the Big10K every year. Each runner chooses the shirt of the school they want to represent, and about 99% of the 8,000 wear it for the race. I alternate between Purdue where I went for my first two undergrad years, Northwestern where I went to grad school, and Illinois where my daughter did her undergrad and grad studies.
Fair play.

We were told we had to wear the race shirt for the red bull 400, and apparently we didn’t. The really fast guys and gals weren’t even wearing shirts. I felt so awkward.

I have no problem with buying an “I Did It” shirt (or any “I Did It” merchandise) before the race has run. I also bought the “I Did It” shirt at the expo, but I waited until Monday to proudly wear it as I hobbled around the parks.

I am surprised how many people I see wearing race shirts to the race. Not only is it something new, but I personally think it is bad luck.

The only time I've ever worn the race shirt during the race was 2018 Goofy..it was so stinking cold that I wore the actual Goofy shirt (since it was white) under my Mary Poppins costume for the half marathon. I felt weird wearing it since the races hadn't been completed yet and I was hoping i wasn't jinxing myself. ;-)

I run a lot of races put on by the same company, so the shirts for all the races are pretty much the same (it's just a question of long sleeves vs short sleeves). So those I'd maybe wear for the race since I already know how they fit ... I just don't particularly want to be wearing the same shirt has half of the other runners.
I get that people think it's bad luck ... I just personally don't. My primary concern is just comfort (with the whole "same outfit as everyone else" thing as a secondary concern ... that's part of why I'm not completely attached to the idea of a costume that matches the race theme).

What I don't understand is wearing another race's shirt to a race. Really? Why would you wear a shirt that has nothing to do with the race you're running? That I don't get at all.

The only time I've ever worn the race shirt during the race was 2018 Goofy..it was so stinking cold that I wore the actual Goofy shirt (since it was white) under my Mary Poppins costume for the half marathon. I felt weird wearing it since the races hadn't been completed yet and I was hoping i wasn't jinxing myself. ;-)

I did the same thing! I wore the white Goofy shirt under my Incredibles tank. I don't think anybody was prepared for that kind of cold that year. I am planning on bringing the white Goofy shirt with me just in case it's cold again in 2020 (I hope not).

I run a lot of races put on by the same company, so the shirts for all the races are pretty much the same (it's just a question of long sleeves vs short sleeves). So those I'd maybe wear for the race since I already know how they fit ... I just don't particularly want to be wearing the same shirt has half of the other runners.
I get that people think it's bad luck ... I just personally don't. My primary concern is just comfort (with the whole "same outfit as everyone else" thing as a secondary concern ... that's part of why I'm not completely attached to the idea of a costume that matches the race theme).

What I don't understand is wearing another race's shirt to a race. Really? Why would you wear a shirt that has nothing to do with the race you're running? That I don't get at all.

Comfort and familiarity? Maybe they train in shirts they receive from races rather than buying their own, and want to stick with what works.

I always find this wearing of the race shirts at the expo before any races have been run perplexing. Don't they already have a shirt on? Are they adding a layer on top because they're chilly and forgot to bring an extra shirt/jacket/sweater? Is it an excited "Hey, I'm going to run this race!!" advertisement? Whyyy???? I really want to know lol!
:rotfl2:Sooo true! I will be walking into packet pick up, and see people leaving wearing the race shirts that they JUST picked up! Totally don't get it!

And it is 100% bad juju to wear the race shirt either before or during the race, and I don't get it at ALL. I mean, did you forget to pack your running clothes for a race weekend??

Comfort and familiarity? Maybe they train in shirts they receive from races rather than buying their own, and want to stick with what works.

Fair point.
Although that does beg the question of what did they train in for their first race ... but it's possible they just don't have those early training outfits anymore. Not everyone is as much of a packrat as I am, probably.

Still not something I would ever do, but I grant that it makes sense to some people.

I have done this for all the ultras that I have run. Basically, it comes down to comfort, convenience and (lack of) caring. I normally run races in InkNBurn shirts, as I really like the feel of them. For the ultras, however, I have needed to run in my hydration vest, which has a tendency to rub the shirt underneath it. I'm not going to let that happen to my InB shirts, so the next best thing I have for comfort is a Brooks tech shirt that I got for running a RnR Raleigh race. I don't care about the appearance of that shirt, so I wear it instead.

Fair point.
Although that does beg the question of what did they train in for their first race ... but it's possible they just don't have those early training outfits anymore. Not everyone is as much of a packrat as I am, probably.

Still not something I would ever do, but I grant that it makes sense to some people.

There’s a learning curve, too. When I started running again 10+ years ago, I ran in cotton T-shirts, blown out shoes, no compression gear. I didn’t start wearing tech shirts until I finished a race or two and didn’t really settle into running gear I’m really comfortable in until the last 3-5 years.

There was a guy wearing a Disney marathon shirt during a local half I did and it was a good conversation starter for the 2 min we ran by each other. So although I've never done it, I'm not opposed to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter