Marathon Weekend 2020

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can see the lightsaber or droid spaces unless someone in your party is buying one. I don't really want one, but would love to watch someone build one and to just check out the space. That makes it a bit more "pay to play."
You can walk through Droid Depot and see all the droid parts and guests building them. You are correct on the lightsaber. Disney says 2 guests per builder. I do not know how flexible they are on bending that rule. Will they allow a family of 4 to build one? I don't know.
Favorite movie is a really tough call. I think I'll go with Meet the Robinson's (partly because I don't think it will get any other votes, partly because of it's message about moving forward, partly because of it's adoption message and partly because I like "little wonders")
An underappreciated film for certain. I really think it laid the foundation for some great films that followed it especially since Disney had been in quite a slump before Meet The Robinsons.
’m with you on Last Jedi. I’m not a big Star Wars fan, enjoy them enough, but the pacing
There was a lot I loved in The Last Jedi, but I agree that the movie had some pacing issues.
Question you might know the answer to since I’m assuming you’ve done Oga’s. I managed to grab individual reservations for my friend and I because there was no availability for parties of two on the day we’re going to do GE. There about 20 minutes apart from each other. I’m just wondering if one of us checks in early if they’ll let the other come in or will they have to wait the extra 20? I’m going to keep checking for parties of two regardless just wondering.

Normally I don’t do my reservations like this for the record but this was the easiest way to do it at the moment.
I have yet to experience Oga's. Hoping to later this month. I've never had trouble if a reservation was for one person adding a second person to it when I showed up. When I made my ADRs for a 2018 Disney World trip I was dining solo. My little sister decided to join me after the ADRs were made and I didn't even need to change them. My guess, and this is just a guess, is that you can probably cancel the second reservation and just have your friend join you for yours.

Future SAFD Thoughts: I like the idea of seeded brackets with some attempt made to seed the teams ala March Madness. Separating by CS vs TS vs snack could be interesting although I'm not sure a TS wouldn't win the whole thing going away. I would probably prefer a best CS tournament followed by a best TS tournament and so forth.

Current SAFD: I separate movies by studio. So Pixar movies are separate from Disney movies in my book. I love them both so it's not like I'm a no animated film has been good since they stopped traditional animation.

Walt Disney Feature Animation: Sleeping Beauty. A visual tour de force and last hand entirely hand drawn animated film. Every single one since has used xerox technology to ink the lines. George Lucas also cites Disney fairy tales such as Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty as heavily influential on his filmmaking. I will argue that Star Wars has more in common with Cinderella than it does science fiction movies. And I deliberately omit Sleeping Beauty from that point because the fight between Maleficent and Prince Phillip is frequently cited as very influential on Steven Spielberg and George Lucas.

Pixar: WALL-E. Maybe there's a lot of bias here because I actually got to see WALL-E at Pixar a week and a half before the movie was released, but I still genuinely love it.

Live Action: Mary Poppins

Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers.

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. If we're going with Disney ownership era only, then The Force Awakens.

All time: Sleeping Beauty and The Empire Strikes Back are tied.

SAFD: This is really hard, so I'm just going off the cuff and trying not to over-think it...
And I still wind up with a 4-way tie between The Fox & The Hound, Up, Wall-E, and Finding Nemo in the animated feature category. I don't think any other animated feature has made me cry with both sadness and joy the way they did - and still do.

Live action goes to Pirates of the Caribbean III.

I refuse to include Star Wars because my favorite Star Wars movies were all made pre-Disney and no matter who owns the rights now, they will always be non-Disney to me. :)

ETA: 4. 4-way tie. Not sure how I got a "3-way tie" out of 4 movies, lol!

Last edited:

FYI, 5k and 10k bibs are available. You have to be logged in to see them.

Need some quick advice, gang. I get into MCO at 12:28 on Thursday, Jan. 9. Does that leave me enough time to get over to the expo so I can do the 10K?

Also, do I need to do anything special to add the 10K other than just sign in and register?

Ugh. My only concern is delays since I’m flying from Iowa in the middle of winter.

3.5 hours is definitely enough time for MCO —> All Star Movies —> ESPN?
If you don't have flight delays that should be plenty of time. My estimates for worst case scenario would be. 45 minutes waiting for ME bus, 45 Min ride to All Star. 30 minute wait for next bus to ESPN. 25 minute trip to ESP. That puts you there in about 2.5 hours. If you have flight delays could you take an Uber directly to ESPN? I am not sure what happens with checked bags in that case.

With the 5k and 10k opening back up, I was able to get my parents registered to do the 5K with me. They will most likely walk the 5K. I'm doing Dopey so will walking it with them affect me getting the challenge medals if they come in over a 16 min. pace? Or is the 5k more about not being swept than overall time?

Ugh. My only concern is delays since I’m flying from Iowa in the middle of winter.

Expo closes at 7pm. Even if your flight is delayed, you can take an Uber straight to ESPN. I understand your concern (I'm from Canada and have been delayed a few times due to weather) and I wouldn't do it if it was for Dopey where that extra medal is on the line if you missed the first race. I know that some people have been able to pick up their bibs race morning because of delays BUT, there is no guarantee that rD will still allow it.

Need some quick advice, gang. I get into MCO at 12:28 on Thursday, Jan. 9. Does that leave me enough time to get over to the expo so I can do the 10K?

Also, do I need to do anything special to add the 10K other than just sign in and register?

Not sure where the 3.5 hours is coming into play. The Expo is open until 7:00 Thursday night, so you should have way more than enough time!

Expo closes at 7pm. Even if your flight is delayed, you can take an Uber straight to ESPN. I understand your concern (I'm from Canada and have been delayed a few times due to weather) and I wouldn't do it if it was for Dopey where that extra medal is on the line if you missed the first race. I know that some people have been able to pick up their bibs race morning because of delays BUT, there is no guarantee that rD will still allow it.
Not sure where the 3.5 hours is coming into play. The Expo is open until 7:00 Thursday night, so you should have way more than enough time!

I had it in my head the expo closed at 4. Bam. Signing up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!