Marathon Weekend 2020

I'm doing Dopey so will walking it with them affect me getting the challenge medals if they come in over a 16 min. pace? Or is the 5k more about not being swept than overall time?
The 5K is not timed, so you really just need to cross the finish line. And for the timed races such as the 10K, Half, and Marathon, you just need to finish and not get swept. That 16 minute per mile pace starts approximately with the final runner to cross the starting line. Periodically rumors circulate that runDisney does not sweep. I have seen the sweep occur. However, if you're at any kind of risk of being swept, they will tell you where you need to be to stay on the course.

Showing my age, I was going to respond with you mean the Hayley Mills one :)
Pretty sure there's only one The Parent Trap and it stars Haley Mills. Any movies of the same name that came later don't count. :-)

Thanks everyone for the heads up on the 5K and 10K re-opening. My sister was able to sign my nephew up for the 5K. We signed him up for the 10K on registration day after the 5K sold out, but were unsure whether he wanted to do that much distance for his first race. Now he has the option to do the 10K or not, depending on how he feels, without sacrificing his ability to finish a race and get a medal. For what it's worth, he has no idea who Oswald is (well, outside of seeing memorabilia in the parks and wondering who/what it was for and why it was at Disney) and him being the mascot/medal is not inspiring excitement.

The 5K is not timed, so you really just need to cross the finish line. And for the timed races such as the 10K, Half, and Marathon, you just need to finish and not get swept. That 16 minute per mile pace starts approximately with the final runner to cross the starting line. Periodically rumors circulate that runDisney does not sweep. I have seen the sweep occur. However, if you're at any kind of risk of being swept, they will tell you where you need to be to stay on the course.

Hate to be 'that guy' but 5K is timed for Dopey. Having said that, I just looked at 2019 Dopey results and it looks like a bunch of people walked the 5K (presumably with somebody) then ran the rest of the races and had no problems getting the Dopey challenge medal.
There is one entry where the runner finished the 5K in over an hour (19:37 per mile pace). They then ran the 10K in 50 minutes, ran a 1:44 half and a 3:33 full!

So, I think you're safe, @Ponoche , walking the 5K with the others. Have a great time!!!

Withdrawing from the January trip. With my big raise this year I have started getting really in to budget and cost control at home, and I finally accepted that laying out all that money was not a smart idea at this moment. I still have my Disneyland/carolwood/sequoia/Death Valley/Zion trip next month, and even though I am not doing dopey, I have that 50 in Moab, so that should cover it.

The upside is that what little credit card debt I had left after being maxed out in the few months after the baby was born, will be gone after the refund on the plane tickets. And she is developing a strong college fund. She’ll enjoy WDW better in a few years, anyway.

FYI, 5k and 10k bibs are available. You have to be logged in to see them.
Thank you for the heads up! Really wanted to run the 10K. I need to come up with my own Challenge name for the 10K and half since that's all I'm doing this year. Super excited!

SAFD: Disney movies are beyond important to me. They really have become the background to my life. Some have such great memories attached that they have become a favorite: Choreographing the complete Aladdin soundtrack for my little brother and me to perform (it was pure torture for him I'm sure!). My husband and I going to Pirates of the Caribbean as our first movie date- and that's the night we first kissed. Or watching Finding Nemo over and over in the hospital while laboring with my oldest because the beautiful music and animation calmed my nerves. Or seeing Inside Out with my kids after we had just moved across the country and worrying about my 3rd grader adjusting. I was bawling!

But I will say Beauty and the Beast (1991) is my all my time favorite. Just a perfect movie.

Last edited:
As long as you cross both lines, you are fine. I like to engage in many race shenanigans and have been one of the last finishers in each race during Dopey. As long as you aren't swept you are good.

My 10K time was the slowest overall last year. 2:40. :rotfl:I took great pride in the effort this took to achieve. Have a great Dopey!

Hate to be 'that guy' but 5K is timed for Dopey. Having said that, I just looked at 2019 Dopey results and it looks like a bunch of people walked the 5K (presumably with somebody) then ran the rest of the races and had no problems getting the Dopey challenge medal.
There is one entry where the runner finished the 5K in over an hour (19:37 per mile pace). They then ran the 10K in 50 minutes, ran a 1:44 half and a 3:33 full!
I think it's timed in the sense that they make sure that Dopey participants finish the 5K, but that's it. I just looked at my marathon weekend certificates from 2019 Dopey and my time is listed on the 10K, Half, and Marathon certificates, but the 5K one lists no time. Likewise, the Dopey certificate lists my 10K, Half, and Marathon chip times and clock times, but does not list anything for the 5K.

I ran the 10K in 2:07:36 and the the half in 3:44:59 and received my Dopey medal. My marathon time was 6:58:30 and I passed on some photos. Now, if I had been in the last corral for the 10K, that time probably would have gotten me swept since I stopped for lots of pictures and took the 5K and 10K easier since I was coming off a cold. My half time might have been okay from the last corral.

I think it's timed in the sense that they make sure that Dopey participants finish the 5K, but that's it. I just looked at my marathon weekend certificates from 2019 Dopey and my time is listed on the 10K, Half, and Marathon certificates, but the 5K one lists no time. Likewise, the Dopey certificate lists my 10K, Half, and Marathon chip times and clock times, but does not list anything for the 5K.

I ran the 10K in 2:07:36 and the the half in 3:44:59 and received my Dopey medal. My marathon time was 6:58:30 and I passed on some photos. Now, if I had been in the last corral for the 10K, that time probably would have gotten me swept since I stopped for lots of pictures and took the 5K and 10K easier since I was coming off a cold. My half time might have been okay from the last corral.

It may not show up on the certificate, but it is tracked. Only the Dopey runners get a time for the 5k since only the combined 5k/10k bib has a timing chip. Here's the header from the Dopey results page that clearly shows that the 5k time is tracked. I didn't copy any of the actual results for privacy reasons, but there is an actual time listed.

For comparison purposes, too, here are my results from 2018. I was at the bottom of the page of results, so that's why it looks a little odd...

@ANIM8R , @Sleepless Knight I knew the 5K for marathon weekend was a gray area with Dopey. I'm not a fast runner, but I'm solidly middle of the pack and never had to worry about the cutoff times with the Star Wars challenges, or this year's Marathon. Thanks for the info.

I knew the 5K for marathon weekend was a gray area with Dopey.
I just looked up my 5K time for Dopey. It was 1:10:59 including picture stops. Just in quickly perusing the times on those first few pages, I'm not even close to the slowest 5K time, and every 5K slower than me also ran the marathon faster than me. Because of my lack of speed, I do not stop for every character and will only risk really long lines if I really like the characters and feel like I'm in sufficiently good shape to absorb the time.

I was in line for a photo during the 2017 Dark Side 10K when the runDisney bicyclists came up and told us that the balloon ladies were 5 minutes behind us. When they got to the photo stop, we either had to leave the line to join them or could remain in line and be swept. I was close to my turn when this happened, so I stayed in line for my photo before resuming running and sure enough a couple minutes later I saw the buses pull up to enforce the sweep. That's the only time I was even close to being swept and I still made some more photo stops that race.

I don't know how strictly runDisney enforces the 16 minute per mile pace even from the last corral. I know they do enforce it, but it's not like the instant you fall behind that pace they remove you from the course. I've read enough race reports to learn that they will often tell runners in danger of being swept where they need to be in order to avoid the sweep.

@Ponoche You should be fine. First 5k year I did Dopey I did it 1:40 since I was doing with my slower Mom. No problem getting the medal.

Also in general speaking about the pace requirement it’s not so much a time thing as much as it is stay in front of the balloons/pay attention to what the bikes (the ACTUAL sweepers) are doing.

Here’s the thing a lot of people don’t think about apparently. Races like runDisney have AWDs (athletes with disabilities) this includes the challenges. AWDs when the circumstance calls for it will be moved to an early corral start (or in rarer circumstance start behind the chairs) to avoid getting swept if they need the extra time or to avoid other course problems. I’ve been on the receiving end of a medical bump several times that’s why I know it’s a thing. If they enforced 16 min pace requirement the AWDs would not be allowed to get their challenge medals.

I had a close call at the full last year because of the heat. Nearly got swept going into epcot even with the early bump thanks to the heat and slowing down in the later miles but overheard one of the bikes saying something about the SAG wagon. Picked it up made the cutoff and finished.

Point is pay attention to what the bikes are doing if you’ve fallen way back and you’ll be okay.

Last edited:
Point is pay attention to what the bikes are doing if you’ve fallen way back and you’ll be okay.
So much this. I often see people terrified of being swept when they are in no danger at all of being swept. I know this because they're almost always around me and since I haven't heard any warnings, I know I'm safe.

In 4 of my runDisney races, I have heard either runDisney personnel or somebody affiliated with Disney on the course give me and those around important information. This sometimes involved "you are 10 minutes ahead of the balloon ladies, so keep it up, you're doing fine." Twice it involved telling me that the line I was in was x number of minutes ahead of the balloon ladies so I needed to choose if I was okay or if I should leave the line. Once it involved seeing the sweep occur shortly after getting my photo and continuing the race because I knew I could maintain pace with the balloon ladies until the very end if I needed to.

I hope that slow runners understand that it still may be possible to get photos even from the back of the pack. You may well need to choose what photos you choose to stop for. You might have to skip a photo because the line is too long. Just decide what experience you want and work for it. I've had one race where I stopped for no photos. I still had a wonderful time in the parks after the race with that medal.

Thank you for the heads up on the 5K/10K bib availability! Freaking out now as I want to figure out what to do before the races sell out again. I had considered doing the half but ruled it out in favour of doing the full in 2021 when DH can do the 10K. But now that signing him up for the 10K is (for the moment) back as an option, I’m reconsidering.

For those who have run both the half and the full, I’d appreciate any insight as to whether running the half (and missing out on the full) might be a letdown after running the full on our last trip. I hope this doesn’t come across badly, I’m just a bit underwhelmed with what I’ve seen of the half course. The marathon route was so magical, especially running through 4 parks and through the Boardwalk area where my family cheered for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!