Marathon Weekend 2020

Folks who have done the pre-order jackets in the past, what’s been your opinion of them? Good fit? Good material? Do you actually wear it? Is it worth ordering one?

I won’t get to the expo until Thursday and I’m a common size (men’s xl), so I’m worried about stuff being picked over.
I’ve never bought them via pre order but have gotten several jackets. I wasn’t a fan of them this past year as they were very thin and not much of a jacket so I opted for the quarter zip instead.

Folks who have done the pre-order jackets in the past, what’s been your opinion of them? Good fit? Good material? Do you actually wear it? Is it worth ordering one?

I won’t get to the expo until Thursday and I’m a common size (men’s xl), so I’m worried about stuff being picked over.
I pre-ordered one this past year. Material and fit is ok. I believe in the past it was a better jacket because it was the Champion brand. This year was the Disney brand. There were lots of jackets available for purchase at the expo and if I waited, I could have used my discount. Not sure if that would be the case now since so most of the races are sold out. If you really like the design, you should pre-order to avoid disappointment.

I found the bathroom lines for Tomorrowland terrace to be hit or miss. Sometimes they are packed and other times they are empty. I will need to check out the Frontierland ones if the need arises!, I forgot about those! after doing trail races where there may be zero bathrooms (nature’s bathroom), I don’t care where I go (Portable or real), just don’t want to wait too long.

I pre-ordered one this past year. Material and fit is ok. I believe in the past it was a better jacket because it was the Champion brand. This year was the Disney brand. There were lots of jackets available for purchase at the expo and if I waited, I could have used my discount. Not sure if that would be the case now since so most of the races are sold out. If you really like the design, you should pre-order to avoid disappointment.

What was the material of this year’s jacket?

Great video! I can't believe I haven't seen this one before. Very interesting information -- and also cool video clips of the first Mickey race:

How Did the Walt Disney World Marathon Begin?

I didn’t know about the 1992 Disney-sponsored race in Indianapolis, but I was at WDW in 1994 as a spectator! DH ran it! Does anyone else on the board have that original (and very small 😂) 1994 medal at their house?

What about bathrooms in the hotels? Assuming the beginning of the courses stay the same, the half and full go near the Grand Floridian and Polynesian, right? Are they too far off course? (Running Goofy in January as my first Disney races ever)

The hotels are too far off course. Yes, the course goes past the hotels, but you would have to go across the parking lot to get to them. The ones in the parks are a few steps off the course.

SAFD: Most of my friends and family think I'm crazy, but my favorite time to go is August or September. I want to ensure HOT weather, and we spend lots of time at the pool. It was a traditional time for my family to go as I was growing up and in college. It was always nice to look forward to the vacation all summer long before going back to school. We also really enjoy the Halloween parties that time of year. Second favorite time of course is Marathon weekend. I prefer that running weekend over the others. Just the additional "buzz" in the air, camaraderie with other runners, seeing the Christmas decorations (if I arrive early enough) - just makes for a great weekend.

DH and I have reservations at Pop, and made reservations for DS and his GF at AofA for this trip. I just had a call from Disney offering to “create some magic” and give us a complimentary upgrade to Coronado in place of the Pop reservations. Has anyone else had this offer?

I’ve never had that specific offer, but way back before I knew RunDisney was a thing, I took the family to WDW to stay at POFQ. When we checked in, they told us that they were overbooked due to the race weekend and upgraded us to Boardwalk. So I know it’s something they’ll do from time to time. Coronado isn’t my favorite resort, but I’d jump at the opportunity for a free upgrade from a value to a moderate!

I’ve never had that specific offer, but way back before I knew RunDisney was a thing, I took the family to WDW to stay at POFQ. When we checked in, they told us that they were overbooked due to the race weekend and upgraded us to Boardwalk. So I know it’s something they’ll do from time to time. Coronado isn’t my favorite resort, but I’d jump at the opportunity for a free upgrade from a value to a moderate!
I’m a bit torn—Coronado isn’t my favorite, either, and we set it up so we’d be near the Skyliner, and near each other. I assume they oversold Pop, though today happens to be my birthday, and I wonder if that’s how I got picked for the upgrade offer. I have until 9 pm tomorrow to decide.

I’ve never bought them via pre order but have gotten several jackets. I wasn’t a fan of them this past year as they were very thin and not much of a jacket so I opted for the quarter zip instead.
Can you return them if you preorder and decide you don’t like it?

Good morning, runDisney all-stars! We are 79 days from the kickoff of Marathon Weekend!

As I think all of us know by now, there's much more to do in the parks than just ride Splash Mountain 12 times in a row (though I certainly wouldn't fault you for spending your day that mind). With that in mind, what is your favorite thing to do in the parks that doesn't involve going on attractions?

It's okay to give one, general answer (ex: people watching), but if you want to challenge yourself, let's see a specific answer for each park with no repeats (so, you can only use "eating and drinking" or "watching fireworks once). Maybe this will be fun, maybe it'll be dumb.

My general answer for all four parks would be taking photos - there are so many incredible details and Disney at night just looks incredible.

Park specific:

Animal Kingdom - Walk through Pandora at night
Epcot - Drinking Around The World, photographing IllumiNations (I watched Epcot Forever on YouTube and I think that will be a fun show to shoot, as well)
Hollywood Studios - This is a tough one. I don't know that HS gets a lot of love as being a really detailed, immersive park (especially Toy Story Land), but there are a lot of great details throughout and I like to really absorb those and just soak in the ambiance
Magic Kingdom - Listen to music in the Hub, people watch and close out the park with a dole whip and The Kiss Goodnight.

Have a great week, everyone! I hope training is going well.

SAFD:
AK—I like going on the treks, particularly the tiger one;
MK—I enjoy wandering Main Street before heading to the exit;
Epcot—DH mentions watching Spaceship Earth change colors at night, and I agree. I also like going through WS and immersing myself in each pavillion;
HS—This one is tough for me, too. Back when the Osborne Lights were there, that would be my answer. I’m not sure I have one now.

With that in mind, what is your favorite thing to do in the parks that doesn't involve going on attractions?
AK: The Tree of Life trails, I love walking through there and looking at the carvings.
MK: I love being in the park first thing in the morning with low crowds and the hustle and bustle of the Main Street vehicles and everything running and just taking it all in.
Epcot: Well I would say waking around World Showcase with the torches lit and illuminations preshow music playing. Since that doesn’t happen anymore I suppose I would go with snacks at Les Halles in France.
DHS: Citizens of Hollywood! My favorite streetmosphere there is.

With that in mind, what is your favorite thing to do in the parks that doesn't involve going on attractions?
There are so many amazing things to do at the parks that don’t include rides!

MK: I like to take my time and wander Main Street, exploring each shop as I go. I also enjoy just wandering around each land soaking in the atmosphere!
Epcot: I enjoy eating and drinking my way around the world either alone or with like minded runners. 😉
HS: I could repeat my answer from MK (wander Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard) or mention eating vegetarian totchos at Woody’s Lunchbox. But, I’m going to go with people watching. (Of course, people watching at the Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights was THE BEST!)
AK: I have a friend who loves photographing the gorillas (he knows them all by name). I love seeing the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail through his eyes! 📷

All of the Above: I love to meetup with and hang out with friends! I have some friends who live in Orlando and many others whose vacations periodically overlap with mine. Its fun to just grab a table catch up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter