Marathon Weekend 2021

I'm squarely in the no-costume camp. And if I'm racing hard, I am not tuned in to anyone else, let alone their costume. Once in a while I will notice a unique item someone is wearing. I ran by an older guy at 2011 Boston who had a shirt documenting his running streak---which he noted was only interrupted by the day he took off after his heart attack!

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

Halloween is at the end of the week, so for this week’s Sundays are for Disney, let’s talk race costumes/outfits. You have a few options:

- for those running the virtuals, are you planning on dressing up? If so, what?
- if you’ve worn costumes for past races, what have been your favorites?
- if you’ve never raced in a costume, what’s your favorite one you’ve seen someone else in?

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!

I took the refund so no virtual costume. However, my running club is doing a costumed group run on Saturday so I need to come up with something stat. I don’t think my “here for the boos” shirt will cut it.

I haven’t worn costumes per say at my races, but I’ve done matching tank tops with my friend and I’ve done themed outfits. For the half in 2018 I was Belle “inspired” with a gold tutu. Last years half weekend my friends and I did Kakamora for the 5k, “colors of the wind” for 10k, and Cinderella inspired for the half. I was pretty pleased with the kakamora faces I made. Photos in my training journal.

Princess 2020 half had a group dressed as the prince and Gus Gus and some other characters from Cinderella that were FANTASTIC.

SAFD: Running in costume is what I love most about runDisney races. I love planning my own outfits as well as admiring others. I've done Mrs. Incredible, Maleficient, Tink, Chebacca, Minnie, & Rebel pilot, but my favorite is my Ariel marathon outfit from 2018 (in my avatar) - I had so many great pictures in that outfit and it fit really well.

Some of my favorites that I've seen along the courses: jellyfish from Finding Nemo, the woman dressed as the UP house (complete with balloons), and any man dressed as a princess (always entertaining).

BTW Goof Troop 2020: Angie & I are wearing our light-up Tink tutus this weekend for a Halloween trail run benefit. I will have to make some modifications to my battery pack to ensure I don't have the wardrobe malfunction I had during the marathon. 😆

SAFD: I’m not a running in costume person. Closest I come is having some running shorts with designs on them, like a Flash emblem or some Star Wars shorts, like a long sleeve tee with the Death star on the whole back.

I do like seeing what other people dress up as though.

SAFD: My costumes at Disney are usually normal run shirt plus skirt plus visor/hat in the right color or print. I guess runner-bound? But I think that's what most people do.
Fave was either blue fairy (blue clothes with wings) for Tink HM or Tiki themed for WDW HM where I carried a fake parrot the whole race despite him loosing an eye and many feathers.

For virtuals I likely won't dress up. Maybe my minnie running hat?
It's going to be very cold in Chicago or things will be better and I can use treadmill at gym finally?

Also I enjoy seeing obscure disney running costumes during races because it passes the time trying to figure out what they are supposed to be.

SAFD: I won't be dressing in any costumes for the virtual for Wine and Dine and I got a refund for marathon weekend.
I have only done a costume once and I wore a fully body Sully costume for the marathon weekend 5k. It was fun because my friend dressed as Mike and we got some great pictures. I would wear it again for a 5k distance as long as it is cold. The onesie felt nice and warm before the start of the race but got warm super quick once the race started. I love noticing all the different costumes and the effort people put into them. The large group costumes are always my favorite.

Has everyone gotten their Marathon Weekend refunds? I know I've seen multiple reports of people getting them already, but I have not. I selected refund originally AND when I got the second email asking me to confirm my choice. I went into my runDisney account and it still shows under active registrations so I've emailed them. I do not want a medal and junk for something I'm NOT running!

Has everyone gotten their Marathon Weekend refunds? I know I've seen multiple reports of people getting them already, but I have not. I selected refund originally AND when I got the second email asking me to confirm my choice. I went into my runDisney account and it still shows under active registrations so I've emailed them. I do not want a medal and junk for something I'm NOT running!
I have.

SAFD: I am a comfort first kind of girl, so no actual costumes for me, but I do have some fun Star Wars running singlets and tech tees that I wear for the SW races. I feel almost guilty not wearing a costume though, because I enjoy seeing other people's costumes so much!

I received mine on October 22nd.

- for those running the virtuals, are you planning on dressing up? If so, what?
- if you’ve worn costumes for past races, what have been your favorites?
- if you’ve never raced in a costume, what’s your favorite one you’ve seen someone else in?
Congrats @lhermiston on your NYC Marathon! Great job creativity incorporating NYC into your experience. By any chance did you see a rat eating a slice of pizza?

🐀 🍕
I run in comfort costumes if you will. More of an inspired by idea, if you will. Mostly this means that I will run in a costume provided that almost all of the elements of the costume are really tech material so I'm not dealing with major issues. I'm usually far more conservative for the half or marathon distances.

Over the years I've run a few races in this sort of costume. 2012 Wine & Dine Half as Prince Phillip. 2016 Star Wars Light Side 10K as Darth Vader fanboy Kylo Ren. I ran in all black tech clothing, the Darth Vader mouse ears beanie for warmth, and Kylo Ren's lightsaber. 2017 Star Wars Dark Side Half as Luke Skywalker training on Dagobah, 2017 Avengers Half as Batman being trained by Yoda with a Batman tech shirt and the Yoda backpack. 2018 Star Wars Dark Side 5K as BYU Jedi, Dark Side 10K as Jedi Knight Prince Phillip. Prince Phillip shirt, cape that read "Once Upon a Dream in a galaxy far, far away. . . .", and of course a lightsaber. Ran the half in a Darth Vader tech shirt.

I have purchased a shirt off etsy as a possible running costume for the virtual Princess Half, but we'll see if it passes the test for an acceptable running costume.

Favorites I've seen include Wayne Campbell and Garth Vader from Wayne's World for a Star Wars race and Elsa Fett complete with a Han Solo frozen in carbonite.
SAFD: I’m not a big costume person. The only time I’ve run in “costume” was at the inaugural SWDS races where I ran in Stormtrooper and Darth Vader tops. It didn’t really feel like running in costume, though, as they were UA compression tops. I just want to run in something comfortable and enjoy the environment.

I have seen some pretty impressive costumes on course at Disney races, though. My favorite has to be the guy who ran the marathon as Lumiere in a gold full body suit carrying what looked like full size cake carriers as his candlesticks. I think it was during one of the warm, humid marathons, as well. Quite impressive!
I saw somebody running the Disneyland Half one year in a full on Lumiere costume that looked like it was right out of the Beauty and the Beast stage show at DHS. Suffice it to say, he may not have finished since it was way too hot to be running in something like that. When I saw him he was in the aid station as I slowly went by.
There are so many great ones that people do. I always am amazed by costumes I’d never even think of.
That's what amazes me most. The person dressed as Uncle Orville at one of this year's Marathon Weekend races stands out.
SAFD:
My homage to Nikki Sixx and Cinderella - "Sixxerella" - for a PHM 10K was pretty epic and fun! Every outfit I've come up with for the SW DS races has been really fun: Imperial Officer V, Krennic, TinkerVader, Palpatine's Biggest Fan. :rotfl:
I saw a TinkerJedi once during the Star Wars races at Disneyland. I really want to see this TinkerVader costume.

All right, folks. Talk to me about Castaway Cay post-race... How does it work? I'd ask more specific questions but I am totally clueless.

My friends and I were talking about an early Feb trip in 2021... but I sent a wild idea to the group text about skipping 2021 and doing the Castaway Cay Challenge after the full in 2022.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter