Marathon Weekend 2021

Has everyone gotten their Marathon Weekend refunds? I know I've seen multiple reports of people getting them already, but I have not. I selected refund originally AND when I got the second email asking me to confirm my choice. I went into my runDisney account and it still shows under active registrations so I've emailed them. I do not want a medal and junk for something I'm NOT running!
I got my refunds for Princess but not Marathon Weekend which is strange.

All right, folks. Talk to me about Castaway Cay post-race... How does it work? I'd ask more specific questions but I am totally clueless.

My friends and I were talking about an early Feb trip in 2021... but I sent a wild idea to the group text about skipping 2021 and doing the Castaway Cay Challenge after the full in 2022.

If you book the cruise that leaves the day after the marathon, you can sign up for the Castaway Cay Challenge. While every cruise has a 5k, there's a separate 5k on the island for people specifically doing the Challenge. When I did it (after the 2018 marathon weekend), the Challenge participants went first and the race started at about 7:00am. I think we had to be in the meeting place around 5:30am.

It's a lot less formal than WDW races, and people could hang out with their non-running family members right up until the race started. There were no corrals and it was untimed. The only characters I remember on the course were Vacation Genie (dude never goes on vacation) and Stitch. After the race we got the standard plastic 5k medal and the metal Challenge medal. Bib and shirt pick-up before hand was pretty easy; they had a table set up with the packet and a map of the course - nothing fancy.

I had never been on a Disney cruise and thought it was pretty nice. My parents are full on cruise people and said it was probably one of the best ships they had been on. I also heard that there are fewer kids on that cruise than on a normal cruise, if that's something you care about.

I'm glad I did it and got that challenge medal, but I don't think I would do it again. It's very expensive for a short cruise, and I was so exhausted after Dopey (#neveragain) that I don't think I really took advantage of everything to do on the ship. Plus my legs hurt so much that I didn't even want to walk down the stairs (elevators are always crowded), let alone run a 5k. Not to mention I missed out on what seemed like an amazing DATW!

I think it depends on how much you would enjoy the cruise and if that's a cost you're willing to spend. The Castaway Cay Challenge is a nice added bonus on top of Marathon Weekend, but focus more on if you would have a good time with your friends on the cruise, rather than just going for the run.

All right, folks. Talk to me about Castaway Cay post-race... How does it work? I'd ask more specific questions but I am totally clueless.

My friends and I were talking about an early Feb trip in 2021... but I sent a wild idea to the group text about skipping 2021 and doing the Castaway Cay Challenge after the full in 2022.
I am planning to do the Castaway Cay Challenge in Jan. 2022. My tentative plans:
Wednesday, Jan. 5: Arrive at Disney World
Thursday-Sunday: Dopey Challenge
Monday, Jan. 10: Cruise departs from Port Canaveral (already have our room booked)
Friday, Jan. 14: Return from cruise
Saturday, Jan. 15: My wife takes her mom (who will be on the cruise with us) for her first-ever Magic Kingdom visit

I have never done the Castaway Cay Challenge, and I won't be going for a PR during the 5K on the island, but I love Disney Cruise Line, Disney World and running, so we're combining all three. I've done Dopey twice before and adding the cruise is one way we'll set this year apart from previous ones. If you're interested, go for it! It is a lot of money, though. I'll have more to report on my overall experience in 14+ months.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

Halloween is over, but the thrills continue when Sundays are for Disney! For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what is your favorite spooky, scary or thrilling attraction at Disney? (However you define that is up to you. No judgment if Capt. EO gives you nightmares).

Haunted Mansion just edges out Tower of Terror for me. It’s not scary or thrilling, but everything about it is just so spot on and feels so classic. ToT is incredible, as well, of course.

Honorable Mention to Rock N Roller Coaster and Flight of Passage, which have made my insides feel like they were going to be my outsides.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!

Halloween is over, but the thrills continue when Sundays are for Disney! For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what is your favorite spooky, scary or thrilling attraction at Disney? (However you define that is up to you. No judgment if Capt. EO gives you nightmares).

Tower of Terror just barely over Haunted Mansion. Just the right blend of thrills and creepiness.

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what is your favorite spooky, scary or thrilling attraction at Disney?
Tower of Terror is my favorite WDW attraction and the Twilight Zone theme makes it super creepy! I especially love looking at all the props from classic Twilight Zone episodes in the preshow and unloading areas (the ventriloquist dummy from The Dummy episode always creeps me out!)

Honorable mention goes to Haunted Mansion Holiday! It’s not very scary, just cute and fun.

SAFD: Alien encounter AKA Stitches Greatest escape! I mean, this was truly scary for a kid!! You’re locked in a chair, alien escapes, security guard shines a light saying, “hey folks! It’s going to be okay!” And then the alien eats him! And then he breathes down your neck??!??? Epic. Haha

Runner up is Tower of Terror! As a kid, I literally dreaded riding it but now as an adult I would say it’s my favorite ride at Disney. It’s so much fun and I love that it brings back those feelings of being scared! My mom would always tell me, “its Disney! There’s nothing scary at Disney!” Lol good times!

Honorable mention: There was a ride at Epcot in the 90’s that was something like “journey through the human body”?? Does anyone remember this? They put you in the capsule thing and locked you in. I was really young and my dad is kind of claustrophobic. It was horrendous. There was a big screen that you watched and it showed you entering the body. That ride gives me nightmares still to do this day. Yuck 🤢

Last edited:
SAFD: Some of the effects in It's Tough to Be a Bug really give me the heebie jeebies!

It's funny what scared me as a kid though - on Pirates, I was always freaked out by the foot of the pirate that is sitting on a bridge that you go under - that foot is just so hairy and REAL that is just creeped me out! :rotfl2:

I was always freaked out by the foot of the pirate that is sitting on a bridge that you go under - that foot is just so hairy and REAL that is just creeped me out!

I have always thought that that hairy leg represented Disney Imagineering at its finest.....so lifelike and detailed. It always makes me smile.

SAFD: Scariest thing at Disney.....Wait time for FoP! 😁

HM and Pirates were always creepy to me as a kid, but Tower of Terror is my favorite. I love the atmosphere and the queue area. I also like the Guardians of the Galaxy version at DCA. I went there ready to hate it for taking away Twilight Zone, but it is still fun, and they had a special version called Monsters After Dark that was even better.

SAFD: put down for the ToT too.

As a kid though, my answer would have been Space Mountain. Seeing as it was a roller coaster in complete darkness.

And while not an attraction, when The Big Bad Wolf was a regular day to day character and I was a toddler in the early/mid 80s I was petrified every time I saw him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter