Marathon Weekend 2021

So... in view of the above and the fact that I still have a room at SSR for the original race weekend... Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should run for my virtual marathon? Is anyone else doing this? I’m thinking I’ll hit the paths at SSR but is there a map with mile markers on it?
I’m planning on this! I really don’t know all the paths that well. I have only stayed there once. I’m hoping that I can run over to OKW and also maybe out and NE of DS??

So... in view of the above and the fact that I still have a room at SSR for the original race weekend... Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should run for my virtual marathon? Is anyone else doing this? I’m thinking I’ll hit the paths at SSR but is there a map with mile markers on it?
I used this website to plan a path. I'm only doing a 5k, so it was quite a bit easier than a full marathon, but you should still be able to figure out a good path for yourself - https://www.maps.ie/map-my-route/ Just change KM to Miles and reposition over Disney World!

SAFD: I am signed up to do a last man standing race limited to 24 hours on Halloween. Also signed up for an in-person 100 miler on Dec-05. Scaled back to 200 mi last month but will aim to go higher for the next four weeks to prepare for the December race. Having a good time as part of the IASW CRAW team. Not signed up for any Disney races but considering Dopey 2022.

SAFD: Training for Star Wars 2021 was paused the last couple of weeks due to a major work deadline. But the deadline is now over with, so it's back to training. In order to keep motivation up before Star Wars training begins in earnest, I'm running the WDW virtual 5K, virtual Marathon, Castaway Cay virtual 5K, Princess 10K, and Princess Half. I did not sign up for the Fairy Tale Challenge as I wanted to give myself the option of splitting the respective distances up.

And because I'm a geek, I'm going so far as to plan running costumes for at least some of the virtual races, which may reappear during Star Wars if those races actually happen and I like the virtual costumes.

So... I can plan a run on map my run or something... I think... but tracking it using a watch or Fitbit... which is easiest/most accurate?
Apple Watch?
Garmin?
I’m clueless.

So... I can plan a run on map my run or something... I think... but tracking it using a watch or Fitbit... which is easiest/most accurate?
Apple Watch?
Garmin?
I’m clueless.
Nothing is absolutely perfect. I think you’ll find the most common watch runners use is a garmin. Apple Watch is right there though too. GPS has improved a lot on them. It comes down to preference by the user though. I love my Apple Watch but I don’t wear it for runs. I use a Garmin. Some people swear by the Apple Watch for running though.

SAFD: I’m running the virtual Peachtree on Thanksgiving, but I’m not really training specifically for it. I’ll just go run a 10k that day. It’s not what I would do for an in-person race, but it’s okay for a virtual. I’m running several days each week, but not very long distances. I’m having some trouble with motivation, but it’s a little better now that the weather is cool enough to run later in the day, which I prefer. It’s hard to do an afternoon run in Georgia summertime temps, and I am not much of a morning runner.

I was signed up for a 24-hour ultra in Ohio, which was pushed from April to October, and now pushed again to April, 2021. I hope it happens, but am not prepared to commit to a training schedule for it at this point.

I just finished an eight week challenge series, which was interesting. Each week, we got a different challenge, and had one week to do it. For example, to get us to do a fartlek run, we had to pretend that anyone who got within 10 feet of us was a zombie, and we had to either run hard for 20 seconds to get away, or change directions to avoid them. One week was run doodles, one was a Bingo board, and each week, it was something motivating. I hope they’ll do it again.

SAFD: I’m running the virtual Peachtree on Thanksgiving, but I’m not really training specifically for it. I’ll just go run a 10k that day. It’s not what I would do for an in-person race, but it’s okay for a virtual....
DH and I are also doing Virtual Peachtree on Thanksgiving. Did 8 mi. this morning, training for Virtual MW 1/2 while DH Is training for Virtual Goofy. Training for a virtual is just not the same as looking forward to a REAL race.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week's Sundays are for Disney (inspired by this morning's weather in Iowa), what is your favorite way to spend a rainy day at Disney?

We have largely avoided rain on our trips, so I turned to my 6-year-old for suggestions. Her ideas include going on Splash Mountain since you'll already be wet or playing a family game inside, so there you have it.

I'll add that the only thing that looks better than Magic Kingdom at night is Magic Kingdom at night after some rain. The reflected light looks incredible.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!

SAFD:
Really depends on the type of rain - cold day or warm; sprinkles, rain or torrent; is it an hour or two or all day? If it is not too cold and the rain is not of the relentless down pour variety we just don our rain ponchos and enjoy the less crowded park. If it is miserable we try to duck into some slows, go get a meal or head back to the resort and watch a movie.

I remember in 2010 in December being in Disneyland with some family friends. Southern California got pounded by a storm, lasted three days. We tried everything to stay dry but it was absolutely ridiculous. We finally settled for movies in the room. Just too cold and wet, but fun memories (well, I can say that now).

SAFD: Splash Mountain in the rain did you say?

1776A289-6710-48B4-83E2-64E4F3DD7788.jpeg

This was New Year’s Day 2017 or 2018. Whichever year Marathon Weekend was super early. It was rainy and miserable (temps in the 40’s). So miserable, in fact, that this was by far the least busy day of our trip despite it being New Year’s Day at Magic Kingdom.

Did we ride multiple more times? Of course, because “hey, no line.” Our group dwindled each succeeding ride but my sister and I kept going as long as there were kids who still wanted to ride (got to take one for the team).
DF90C046-B889-445A-98C3-AA2865D8A789.jpeg

As much fun as it was to look back at those pictures I have to say that my favorite rainy day at Disney was in January 2014 during the inaugural Dopey Challenge. After the 5K on Thursday, my sister, brother in law, and I all made the snap decision that we were up and at Disney, so maybe we should go to a park. A little context, before that trip we had been in 2012 (for the Half) and 2013 (for the Full); but we had only gone to the parks once in 2012 for my nephew’s first trip to MK. We thought the parks were a little expensive and more for kids, you know the typical too cool for school thoughts.

Anyway, it turned out to be an off and on rainy day in the low-70’s. Epcot was practically empty. And we had so much fun just walking around and discovering that the parks definitely weren’t just for kids. I don’t know, maybe that visit was a bad thing since it has spawned a very expensive love of Disney; I tend to think it was a good thing though.

We put on the poncho and keep going, at least for a while. Like others have said, we duck into a covered ride, show, or store for a few minutes if it is light enough to skip from one to another. If it is torrential, we sometimes head to a restaurant for a meal. Resort restaurants generally have daytime availability with no reservation. The rain is usually over before we are done. If it is an all day cold rain, we stay awhile in the parks, then head back to the resort to rest for a full day tomorrow!

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week's Sundays are for Disney (inspired by this morning's weather in Iowa), what is your favorite way to spend a rainy day at Disney?

A rainy day at WDW is better than a dry day at home.

💯

I'm happy to shop along Main Street or at Disney Springs or anywhere, really. I'd rather wait out the rain, but I'll venture out for anything, popping in and out of buildings as much as I can. My last few trips have been during a relatively dry time in FL, so not much rain to contend with.

Usually we put on the ponchos and go. If it's really coming down, we might find a place to eat or go hang out at the resorts (if it's cold, the fireplace in Wilderness Lodge is pretty nice). When I lived in California, if there was rain in the forecast, my friends and I would plan to go to Disneyland because the lines would be short. The rain there wasn't usually as heavy as the rain at Disney World, but usually lasted longer. In Orlando, there might be heavy storms, but they're usually over pretty quickly.

I’ve been lucky to be at WDW on multiple occasions with off and on light rain all day. Those have almost always been some of my best days at the parks. It scares away just enough people to make the parks much more manageable and the lines shorter. I’m also weird and, in general, enjoy rainy days by a wide margin over sunny.

SAFD: Rain doesn’t impact how we approach WDW all that much. We’ve had trips ranging from none at all to heavy rain just about every day. It’s more about preparation and adjusting on the fly if a downpour strikes. The biggest thing we do is ensure that we have packable rain jackets in the backpack any time there’s a chance. I can’t count the number of times we’ve stood out in a downpour waiting for a parade or fireworks to begin.

The payoff can be opportunities to see things like this complete double rainbow over the MK:

173F2662-7721-4CD3-AF12-3C44171A1B70.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!