Marathon Weekend Injury Thread

JClimacus

Mouseketeer
How is everyone out there doing managing their injuries?

I've been dealing with a bad left knee since October (I'm sure it's an overuse injury) that has restricted my training. I was hoping to be able to work up to at least one 20 miler before Goofy, but I only managed to get up to a 17 miler on the 17th, and I've been tapering since, mostly to give my knee a break. I've been doing a lot of recumbent biking at Planet Fitness with some road runs mixed in. That's been helping, and after not running for a week after the 17th, I was able to run for 4 this past Saturday (plus 45 mins on the bike), then 8 miles on Sunday with 60 mins on the bike without any knee pain. I'll put in maybe two more road runs before Goofy with some biking.

Hope the other walking wounded out there are healing as well!

Great plan, low impact to keep the muscles loose.

You've got enough running history to know to take it easy the rest of the week and take it really easy on the races.

As for me I'm getting over some killer low back pain that pretty much kept me from running all month. I'll be in slow steady, stopping to take picture mode for all Dopey runs.

My wife has plantar fasciitis, but it looks like she is going to be able to finish the half marathon. She still has considerable pain, but it is manageable. My son's IT band pain seems to be behind him, so he is good to go. Just need to avoid injuries over the next 10 days or so. With this brutal cold, that is not going to be easy. Have to do warm-up exercises before we step outside for these runs. Other than my son, we are all in our 50s, so it takes a while to warm up our tired, old muscles.

Great plan, low impact to keep the muscles loose.

You've got enough running history to know to take it easy the rest of the week and take it really easy on the races.

As for me I'm getting over some killer low back pain that pretty much kept me from running all month. I'll be in slow steady, stopping to take picture mode for all Dopey runs.

Back pain is the worst. Hope it cooperates for you. Yes, like you I'll be in slow mode. Running the half with my son and daughter and I might walk/run the full.

My wife has plantar fasciitis, but it looks like she is going to be able to finish the half marathon. She still has considerable pain, but it is manageable. My son's IT band pain seems to be behind him, so he is good to go. Just need to avoid injuries over the next 10 days or so. With this brutal cold, that is not going to be easy. Have to do warm-up exercises before we step outside for these runs. Other than my son, we are all in our 50s, so it takes a while to warm up our tired, old muscles.

Yeah, there is no reason to take any chances on training at this point... the hay is in the barn as the saying goes. As @Dave Rolen says, the running now is just to keep things loose.

So I developed a quad strain--while not running--no clue how. So last week, after my last 16-miler, I shut all running down. I have been deep water running twice, but won't do much of anything else except gentle stretching when I can do it without pain.

It's feeling a little better today (maybe cause I'm still in my pjs!), so I am hopeful by next week it will be better. I think it's a mild one, as it doesn't bother me walking or even running shorter distances.

I would probably be more freaked out if I wasn't doing Dopey. Dopey is not a "race", it's a series of "runs", so the whole "oh god, all my training and I won't be able to race and try and PR" is off the table.

For me the few weeks leading up to a big endeavor always has me on hyper-alert. I have been nursing a sore achilles for the last month, but it is manageable. I have been very careful because it is so cold hear now - it is 7 degrees out right now and I have a run this afternoon. So I start slow and then slow down in this type of weather. This is just about keeping everything loose and ready for Dopey - "The hay is in the barn" as has been said. I do try to talk myself back from the ledge a lot in this taper time though as I cycle between "I should have done more" and "what is that pain, it must be a stress fracture..."

I do wish everyone fighting injuries a good recovery and if you are racing next week a successful outing!

Last edited:

I strained my soleus muscle about 2 weeks ago. I was doing my last Dopey simulation run and during my first 3 mile run on Thursday, I strained it. I went to PT and all was well until I tried to run again the following week. I strained the interior part of my soleus muscle this time after about a 1/2 mile into my run. Back to PT a couple of times last week and she had me do a brisk walk with a little bit of running. Saturday went well, but then on Sunday, the calf muscle felt like it was going to strain again, so I stopped my run. Back to PT yesterday and today. It's feeling better, but am very nervous about the upcoming races. I'm going to my chiropractor tomorrow to get my foot adjusted (hoping that might help). Going to try KT Tape on my calf as well. I may not be running these races the way I had hoped to, but I will do everything that I can to cross that finish line 4 times!

I've had another flare up in the arch of my foot that feels an awful lot like PF. Compounding things, the shin on the opposite leg has started to aggravate me, probably from compensating for the foot issue. Very frustrated to make it this close only to have something go wrong!

In response, I've shut things down until at least Saturday. Happened to have a GP appt for routine medicine refills today and he gave me a regimen of prednisone to try and knock it out. We'll see what happens.

I've had another flare up in the arch of my foot that feels an awful lot like PF. Compounding things, the shin on the opposite leg has started to aggravate me, probably from compensating for the foot issue. Very frustrated to make it this close only to have something go wrong!

In response, I've shut things down until at least Saturday. Happened to have a GP appt for routine medicine refills today and he gave me a regimen of prednisone to try and knock it out. We'll see what happens.

Yes, we all have to be careful about adding additional injuries because of compensation. I'd been subconsciously favoring my left knee, even though it doesn't it hurt at all on the short runs I allow myself, and that gave me a mild strain in my right quad. That's mostly gone fortunately.

@FFigawi give us a useful reminder: It's all about getting/staying healthy now, not training.

I had some bad knee and hamstring pain around Thanksgiving. Hopefully corrected it, as not as bad now, by ordering a couple pairs of the CW-X Stabilyx tights. I had PF (well self diagnose as that) act up in mid October pretty bad and have been treating with some new socks from C3fit, and ordered a couple pairs of new shoes. LOL and here when I started running, I thought I was getting into the cheapest sport possible, little did I know....

I was more concerned about DH. For me, the marathon will be a one and done. I don't like going that far. I'll stick to 10K's and maybe a half here and there. But DH likes to run and wants to keep up his Dopey training to do a 50K in the summer, and possibly expand distance from there. As he says, he wants to see how far he can push his body. He was dealing with horrible knee pain. So bad that he'd just be standing (even on days without running) and he'd get in such pain that he'd almost fall over as he couldn't put pressure on the leg. Another self diagnose, we determined it was his running stride changing. Our plan was do to 5K, 10K and Half together at my pace (full on our own). So he was training with me and my pace is a little over 3 mins per mile slower then his plus my stride is probably a good 7" shorter then his. So he rested it for a couple weeks and we decided we'd only do the 5K together as it's going to be very easy going that day and split off for the rest of the races. Now that he is able to get back into his pace and stride, he is doing pretty good. Sure took him a couple weeks to build back up his endurance though from the slow runs and longer walk breaks with me.

Hope everyone cures their ailments!

I ran my first longer runs last year and since adding in yoga I can run long half marathon length distances with no pain and little soreness.

But on mile 10 of my 16 miler I had a pain on the top of my foot. Brushed it off but it kept up so I ran walked home the other 6 miles. After a few days of the top of my first hurting even when walking I think it’s tendonitis! So since then I’ve been doing foot specific yoga and not running. So crazy. I think it was a shoelace problem. Then again I tried out rock climbing last week too. Who knows. Just hoping it continues to get better (so far so good).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter