March 2019 Car Rental Watch

Just jumping in since I just booked. Mine is a little different since I'll be picking up at MCO and dropping off at TPA, unless the MCO to PHL flight on Southwest drops quite a bit. So, I'm at:

Alamo midsize pickup 3/9 at MCO, dropoff 3/15 at TPA: $224 base/$262 total, using Costco contract ID and AD3868JST ($25 off specialty, but seems to work for many car classes)

Did a similar trip last year (but MCO only). Prices were about what we're seeing now, but Hertz had a nice drop about a week before departure that even beat Alamo. The Hertz experience was very similar to Alamo...go straight to garage and pick out of an aisle (join their free #1 club first, though)

Switched from Alamo to Avis - Ford Edge (or similar) - $296 using the $25 off coupon and the AARP code. March 9 - 16, pickup MCO drop off TPA. Alamo was $324 for the Escape.

Prepaid, I'm happy with the price.

Another drop today. 460 with budget for an intermediate suv or 478 with alamo. We prefer alamo but have both booked and will decide.

They seem to be coming down. I'm just under $200-Midsize (all in after taxes/fees) for 3/9-3/13 through Costco/Budget. Dollar had a slightly less prepay using City Special, but I don't like to prepay this far out. Will keep searching daily!

They seem to be coming down. I'm just under $200-Midsize (all in after taxes/fees) for 3/9-3/13 through Costco/Budget. Dollar had a slightly less prepay using City Special, but I don't like to prepay this far out. Will keep searching daily!

Agree...way too early to prepay! Especially for the "common" vehicle classes.

Could someone remind me, what isle does Orlando not have? I remember reading a few years back to book say a standard and then you pick from a full size?

Could someone remind me, what isle does Orlando not have? I remember reading a few years back to book say a standard and then you pick from a full size?

Correct. Standard and full size share the same aisle, so if that's what you want, book the cheaper of the two (usually standard, but sometimes I've seen full size for less). Also, if you use a free upgrade coupon, a midsize upgrade bumps you up to the standard/full size aisle.

Correct. Standard and full size share the same aisle, so if that's what you want, book the cheaper of the two (usually standard, but sometimes I've seen full size for less). Also, if you use a free upgrade coupon, a midsize upgrade bumps you up to the standard/full size aisle.

Thank you!!

We're in SW Florida from March 16th-22nd. Started off at nearly $400 for a Full Size with Alamo. Have been checking using different 'books' with carrentalsavers.com and am down to an Intermediate SUV for $259.46, using coupon MUWA071 and AWD686210

I plan to keep checking, but I am happy with this rate. My only concern is that we are scheduled to land at 11:30pm, if our flight is significantly delayed, I wonder if we'll get dinged for no Saturday night keep.

Travelling March 19-31 and got mini van for $531 with Costco discount. Started at over $800 so happy with this price.

Seem to be at a standstill right now. I check daily.
Lowest I got few weeks ago for 3/9 a.m-3/13 pm is $164 total (after all taxes fees). Compact car through Budget booked on Costco.
I check on Costco (which I find to be lowest), BJs, Dollar direct (city specials) and Alamo direct.

Seem to be at a standstill right now. I check daily.
Lowest I got few weeks ago for 3/9 a.m-3/13 pm is $164 total (after all taxes fees). Compact car through Budget booked on Costco.
I check on Costco (which I find to be lowest), BJs, Dollar direct (city specials) and Alamo direct.

You're seeing about the same as me. I'm the same trip as you, but one more day at the end. I'm at about $188 with Budget, also with Costco discounts. Mine was booked directly on Budget using W852802/TUGZ052. Also holding an Alamo for about $10 more. Not sure which I'll go with yet.

Anyway, the next week or two should be the most interesting for our dates, I hope! My experience last year was similar, but had some good Hertz rates (with AAA discounts) about a week before departure...wound up going with them. I'd add them to your search list. At the moment, they are higher than Budget and Alamo. (The rental experience with them is similar to Alamo; skip counter and pick from an aisle)

You're seeing about the same as me. I'm the same trip as you, but one more day at the end. I'm at about $188 with Budget, also with Costco discounts. Mine was booked directly on Budget using W852802/TUGZ052. Also holding an Alamo for about $10 more. Not sure which I'll go with yet.

Anyway, the next week or two should be the most interesting for our dates, I hope! My experience last year was similar, but had some good Hertz rates (with AAA discounts) about a week before departure...wound up going with them. I'd add them to your search list. At the moment, they are higher than Budget and Alamo. (The rental experience with them is similar to Alamo; skip counter and pick from an aisle)

That's a great rate! (Compared to my placeholder booking.) I may have to get myself a Costco membership!

Well so far and no rate drop, it’s just gone up. I was hoping for another drop but can’t see it happening at this point

Just to be clear though, if you book via Costco with Alamo you cannot skip the counter.

And for Alamo, be sure to book it through the Costco website for the lowest price.

Last edited:
Well so far and no rate drop, it’s just gone up. I was hoping for another drop but can’t see it happening at this point

Yeah, I'm inside 2 weeks now and seeing the same. But, that just means its time to check daily. I've seen drops happen within the last few days or week...trying to stay optimistic!

Just to be clear though, if you book via Costco with Alamo you cannot skip the counter.

And for Alamo, be sure to book it through the Costco website for the lowest price.

Sure you can, at least if you book it thru Alamo. If you bring your codes from the Costco site (7014627 for the Contract ID) and you can get the coupon code by clicking the Terms and Conditions link, you generally (not always) get the same price and can do the online checkin and skip the counter.

Although I haven't done it, from reading from others here, I was under the impression that if you book thru Costco, you still get an Alamo confirmation number, then could go to the Alamo site and complete the online checkin/skip the counter paperwork...

Yeah, I'm inside 2 weeks now and seeing the same. But, that just means its time to check daily. I've seen drops happen within the last few days or week...trying to stay optimistic!
I am just over 2 weeks and checking twice a day lol fingers crossed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts