March Break 2019

pigletto

DIS Veteran
Well we are almost at the 180 day mark for Ontario March break 2019. My family and I have our resort booked (Sheraton Vistana) for the week and we will be driving down for the first time. We drove 7700 km's this summer for our trip out west, and feel we can handle the drive to Orlando easily.

What we are having a harder time deciding is what we want to do while we are there. I've lost track of our trips to Orlando since 2008 but it's somewhere around 13/14. So we are pretty familiar with what the area has to offer. We have been over March Break once before, but only to the Universal Parks. We stayed onsite and didn't find the crowds too bad with proper planning.

We all know however that Disney is a different animal. We are considering skipping the Disney parks and doing Discovery Cove, Aquatica, Kennedy Space center and a whole lot of pool/shopping time.
Or we will go all Disney and hit rope drop and be in those parks for 5 days. Both plans really have their pluses and minuses.

Am I overthinking this? I think we can handle the crowds.. I know how to work fastpass to our advantage, and we are an experienced rope drop family. But if the parks are so crowded that we find it hard to move or get anything done.. it might not be worth it.

So who's planning to go for March Break this year? Who has been before? Who has stayed offsite for March Break?
I would love to hear any and all thoughts while we try to decide what we are doing!:sunny:

We went for March Break about 5 years ago and we were pleasantly surprised at the crowd levels.
It did get VERY crowded at the end of our vacation but I guess our March Break in Ontario was just early enough that most of the USA spring breaks had not started yet.
I actually had a CM at Epcot comment on how many Canadians he was seeing that week and we had a convo about it.
I did use a touring plan and I think that might have helped a bit.
Our last day was a Saturday and we went to Hollywood Studios. The crowds had really begun to develop and I remember being in a sea of people and kind of loosing my family (I am short, standing a proud 5'1 at best-the kids call me Mike Wazowski) In all honesty it really kind of scared me. My kids were with my hubby but I was alone and could only see backs and fronts of people slowly moving in different directions. I had never seen crowds like that before in any of the parks and we have been quite a few times.
I think I would look at some historic crowd calendars for the week you are going and compare, although I know they are not great indicators any more you might see a pattern.
Good luck, planning is so much fun!

We went to WDW a few times at Spring break and it’s our favourite time to go BUT QC spring break is one week earlier than ON week.

We went for March Break about 5 years ago and we were pleasantly surprised at the crowd levels.
It did get VERY crowded at the end of our vacation but I guess our March Break in Ontario was just early enough that most of the USA spring breaks had not started yet.
I actually had a CM at Epcot comment on how many Canadians he was seeing that week and we had a convo about it.
I did use a touring plan and I think that might have helped a bit.
Our last day was a Saturday and we went to Hollywood Studios. The crowds had really begun to develop and I remember being in a sea of people and kind of loosing my family (I am short, standing a proud 5'1 at best-the kids call me Mike Wazowski) In all honesty it really kind of scared me. My kids were with my hubby but I was alone and could only see backs and fronts of people slowly moving in different directions. I had never seen crowds like that before in any of the parks and we have been quite a few times.
I think I would look at some historic crowd calendars for the week you are going and compare, although I know they are not great indicators any more you might see a pattern.
Good luck, planning is so much fun!
Thanks. I renewed our Touring Plans subscription and the general consensus seems to be that it can be level 9's and 10's in the parks. I think it depends how close the break falls to Easter in a particular year as well.That can take it from very busy to crazy. This year they are weeks apart so it shouldn't be a factor but I would still have to rely heavily on a touring plan/fastpass/and rope drop. We are at a disadvantage for fast pass booking being offiste, but I do know when it's that busy the hours are longer, there are more staff and rides run at full capacity so hopefully that would make up for it. As a fellow short person, the scene you describe sounds scary! Especially with kids. Luckily mine are 14 and 21 so at least I am not worrying about losing them too much.

We went to WDW a few times at Spring break and it’s our favourite time to go BUT QC spring break is one week earlier than ON week.
The weather seems like it would be a great time to tour! I'm sure the whole month is busy with all of the different Canadian Breaks and U.S. breaks. It's hard to say what it will be like.

Hi Sweetie
I am planning a March Break trip. I am so undecided right now because I have a studio booked at OKW but to be honest I have no interest in any of the Parks other than the flower and garden show at Epcot.
Now I really want to go to Universal,,I felt like my last trip there was so rushed that I need to do a redo.
I may end up renting out my reservation at OKW and stay at a Universal resort.
The beginning of Ontario March break always seemed less busy than the end of the week .
I think with careful planning a great holiday in March is doable,,and the weather is an added bonus.

You are a great organizer and planner and I know you are going to have a wonderful vacation.
Hugs to you
Mel

Last edited:
I've been to Disney during spring break and while it's busy, it's not like Christmas day busy or anything.

It is beautiful weather that time of year too.

Last edited:
We've gone over the first 2 weeks of March the past 5 years as we both work at a school, so we can only go during that time. I find the first week of March to be great in regards to crowds, the second week does ramp up. Also this year Mardi Gras is during the first week, but we've been there before during Mardi Gras and just noticed more purple and gold. Weather can be hit or miss, we've had super hot days and other days that pools were closed. As long as you use the fastpasses and if you prefer rope drop, you'll be fine.

Thank you everyone! We did a family vote again last night and it looks like we will be going to Disney. That may change still as a more relaxed pace and less busy trip does have it's appeal, but for now, everyone is hoping for the Disney parks.
With the weather being iffy, I am not too comfortable with a trip that focused mostly on waterparks. And we love Disney.
Time to start planning!

WDW at spring break is manageable. Like you said, work the FPPs, do your planning. Get up for RD. I've gone for several years and always at that time of year. Sometimes it's bad, sometimes not. Easter is later, so maybe it will be better in 2019. We do RD and are exhausted by dinner time. Most crowds are starting to get bad in the afternoon, when we're wrapping up our day.

Now can we talk about why the schoolboards won't give us a PA Day on the Friday before March Break, but will give us one the week before Good Friday in April? Are they afraid the kids will have too much fun over the break or the teachers?

How Exciting!!!! I'll just live vicariously through others my watching trip boards and what others post! Now comes the fun part of the trip...which is the planning :woohoo:

We have done the drive and stay for the last couple of March breaks. I do not like crowds, hence I normally go end of Sept.
I was very surprised, with the exception of MK, the rest of the parks were not as bad as I expected. MK was busy but with proper planning, and you do that, it was manageable.
Not sure if you can book 60 days out with your room, but if not at 30 days keep trying for flights of passage, or do rope drop for it. The others should be ok.
Enjoy

We have done the drive and stay for the last couple of March breaks. I do not like crowds, hence I normally go end of Sept.
I was very surprised, with the exception of MK, the rest of the parks were not as bad as I expected. MK was busy but with proper planning, and you do that, it was manageable.
Not sure if you can book 60 days out with your room, but if not at 30 days keep trying for flights of passage, or do rope drop for it. The others should be ok.
Enjoy

This is kind of what happened to us too, it was a pleasant surprise but just that last day gave me a taste of what it could have been. @pigletto you are a WDW veteran, you guys will be fine!

I wish March Break flights weren't so expensive! Or I had another driver in the house. Someday! Enjoy your trip. I bet the weather will be great. I can't imagine it will be that crazy. Everywhere seems to have different weeks off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter