• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Maria Poppins?!

Sarangel

<font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<
Ain't it Cool News reports that Warner Brothers is thinking about a remake of Mary Poppins with a Latina nanny instead of an English one. The setting is supposed to be be in modern LA.

I dunno....

Sarangel

And Annette Bening (Mrs. Warren Beatty) has just signed with Disney to do a re-re-re-remake of ‘Freaky Friday’.

And people think creativity in Hollywood is dead…..

I heard that Carrot Top and Danny Bonaduce have just signed on for the sequel to "Dude, Where's My Car"...;)
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

I heard that Carrot Top and Danny Bonaduce have just signed on for the sequel to "Dude, Where's My Car"...

Cool, that was actually a funny little movie. As low-brow and awful as they get, but really fun and destined to be a future cult classic.

In all reality, they are in production of a sequel to ‘Dude’ right now. It’s called ‘Seriously Dude, Where's My Car?’. If you want to keep up on this, er, movie, go over to the Internet Movie Database at http://us.imdb.com/Title?0318055 . The plot outline is: “Too much dope makes two boneheaded friends confused about the location of their vehicle - again.”

How Disney let this one slip through its fingers…

Speaking of Mary Poppins, Disney is in the early stages of a MP Broadway show. It looks like they finally wised up to the potential of this musical, which I always felt was tailor-made for the big stage. With all of the catchy song and dance numbers in this show, I can't imagine it not crossing over in a big way. The only challenge would be to incorporate the animated segments(tea-time with the penguin waitors, and the carousel horse race) into the live-action scenes. I always felt that if they were able to pull it off with the Lion King that MPs would be a cinch.

Why hasn't Mary Poppins ever been on the big stage?????:confused:
That has always been one of my all-time favorite Disney movies AND one of my favorite musicals!! :D
It was actually the first Disney movie I saw in the theatre when it was first released. :D :D
But I just can't get used to the idea of a "Latino" Mary!!

I just can't get used to the idea of a "Latino" Mary
This is one place where it would do us a lot of good to take the 'Scoop's mantra to heart, and wait until we have some more details.

If this project was developed by a Latino director who really felt something in the original and saw a way to update the story so that it'll speak to a wider and more modern audience, it could have some fire in it and do pretty well.

If this project was developed by a bunch of white guys in suits who noticed that the "Latino" cells in their spreadsheets were not achieving optimal levels, then it could be a soulless piece of crap and tank miserably.

Any wagers?

Jeff

Maybe I should have said...."I just can't get used to anyone other than Julie Andrews" being Mary Poppins.;)
As the story goes, yes it would do well!!:D
BUT....to me.....Mary Poppins IS Julie Andrews!!!;)

I am having a hard time thinking of any remake that was actually as good as, let alone better, than the remake.

Well it may not be better, but I greatly prefer 'The Magnificent Seven' to the original 'Seven Samurai'.

WB can hardly do a remake of Mary Poppins - Disney won't allow it. But the idea of using the basic concept of a movie as the basis for another movie is as old as movies are.

My guess would be that a WB 'version' would end up looking a lot more like 'Mrs Doubtfire' (or even 'Down and Out in Beverly Hills')than it would look like 'Mary Poppins'...

Will Pamela Travers (or her estate?) allow a Broadway version of her characters? I always thought that she was against it and that it took Walt a great deal to get her to agree to even the film.

As a famous reviewer once said in his review of "The Wiz"; "...is nothing sacred"?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter