Mariner vs. Oasis- new to RCI

Minnie368

DIS Veteran
We took our first cruise last April- Fantasy Western Caribbean. We loved loved loved it. Going on our second on the Fantasy next month. However, with kids starting college we’re going to be limited to sailing during more peak times when DCL is much more expensive. DH and I are thinking of taking a 4 night in january to celebrate our 25th and are thinking of trying Royal to see how we like it. I imagine when we go with the kids we will definitely be looking at one of the newer larger ships, but none of them sail the shorter cruises out of PC, which is what we’re looking for in January. What we can book is on Mariner of the Seas. So my question is, will sailing that ship give us a good enough feel for how well like Royal or will we only get a true picture if we sail on Oasis or one of the larger ships? Thanks in advance!

We've been on Mariner and not Oasis but Allure and Symphony.

We loved Mariner. It's a good size ship with lots to do. The pool does get a bit crowded on sea days but if just you and DH then you have Solarium pool as well. We've done the 4 nighters and it's a nice get away.

The big difference with Oasis class is the shows. They are amazing (Mariner good too..just more cruise shows). And on Oasis you have the different neighborhoods and more food options.

Both are amazing ships. And yes Mariner will give you a feel for Royal.

Last edited:
I'm not super familiar with Mariner, but it's my understanding that its an older and smaller ship, which is why its used on the shorter itineraries. It wouldn't have the same attractions and amenities as the large ships, like Oasis, but as PP mentions its still worthwhile. I don't think you can go wrong with any ship on Royal.

But keep in mind they will be very different experiences. Oasis has an emphasis on the ship being the main attraction rather than the ports. There's usually three ports of call, leaving more time to explore the ship. With Mariner on a shorter cruise, it will be more port intensive so the focus is more on the places you're visiting. I think a shorter itinerary on Mariner to test the waters will be fine, but it will still be a new and very different experience when you decide to try Oasis class.

I'm not super familiar with Mariner, but it's my understanding that its an older and smaller ship, which is why its used on the shorter itineraries. It wouldn't have the same attractions and amenities as the large ships, like Oasis, but as PP mentions its still worthwhile. I don't think you can go wrong with any ship on Royal.

But keep in mind they will be very different experiences. Oasis has an emphasis on the ship being the main attraction rather than the ports. There's usually three ports of call, leaving more time to explore the ship. With Mariner on a shorter cruise, it will be more port intensive so the focus is more on the places you're visiting. I think a shorter itinerary on Mariner to test the waters will be fine, but it will still be a new and very different experience when you decide to try Oasis class.

Mariner was recently refurbished and they added water slides, Laser Tag (lots of fun for adults too) and Sky Pad (which is currently shut down due to the incident...hopefully not for long)

Mariner was recently refurbished and they added water slides, Laser Tag (lots of fun for adults too) and Sky Pad (which is currently shut down due to the incident...hopefully not for long)

Sounds like good additions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter