Marvel Day at Sea

SEK2012

Earning My Ears
So I just booked our first Disney cruise for Feb 2020. The price, itinerary and dates worked perfect for us. Problem is that we only have 2 days at sea and one is the Marvel Day. My 3 year old daughter has no clue about Marvel characters and honestly just wants to see Minnie, Mickey, princesses etc. Does this Marvel day take over the whole ship and take away from the classic Disney experience?

Yes, that one day will be all Marvel.

The regular characters will be out on the other days.

When we did a Marvel day at sea 2 years ago, the "regular" characters (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Donald, Daisy) were out that day, but they were dressed in their Marvel outfits.

I would say the lines were longer on that day for character pictures (and I think maybe there was a dance party but my memory isn't great). That was also the most crowded cruise I'd ever been on (it was over Thanksgiving) so I couldn't say if lines were because of that or because of it being Marvel or both.

I enjoy Marvel, though I wouldn't call myself a super fan. I enjoyed meeting as many characters I could, but didn't bother standing in super long lines. Groot was awesome, as were Black Panther and Spider-Man (but I think we'd been getting to know their "friends" the week leading up to the meet and greet so the interaction was pretty great).

I think we did an animation drawing class that day and we drew Marvel characters. But at 3, the stuff your daughter is going to be doing probably wouldn't be that stuff anyway.

It does take over the whole ship for a day, but for me, at least, I didn't miss out on the classic Disney experience.

We did a MDAS this last year. As others said, the traditional characters will be out but Marvel themed. Lines for the Marvel characters can be really long. I got a picture with Chip and Dale dressed as Loki and Thor with a very minimal wait.

I don't recall seeing the Princesses out that day but they were available for meet & greets on other days (not only sea days).

We’ve done two MDAS cruises and they’re a lot of fun. The Disney characters will be available every day of the cruise. As others have stated on the Marvel day they’ll be in their Marvel outfits. Each of the characters has an outfit that coordinates with one of the Marvel superheroes. On that day the family and kids' clubs activities are themed more towards Marvel, and the movies in the theater will be Marvel movies. That will also be a special menu at dinner that night. The Marvel night time deck show is the most amazing thing DCL does. All that being said, if you’re not Marvel fans, it’ll just be another beautiful day at sea.

We’ve done two MDAS cruises and they’re a lot of fun. The Disney characters will be available every day of the cruise. As others have stated on the Marvel day they’ll be in their Marvel outfits. Each of the characters has an outfit that coordinates with one of the Marvel superheroes. On that day the family and kids' clubs activities are themed more towards Marvel, and the movies in the theater will be Marvel movies. That will also be a special menu at dinner that night. The Marvel night time deck show is the most amazing thing DCL does. All that being said, if you’re not Marvel fans, it’ll just be another beautiful day at sea.
The Marvel deck show was awesome. Talking with crew member they said the President of th DCL was there on the first show and after was so thrilled said it would be a forever thing.

I would just point out that the Marvel day at sea cruises are substantially more expensive that the same itineraries without Marvel. If you are not into it, switch and save yourself some money!

What are the special events that one needs to pre-book for Marvel Day at Sea? Is it certain character photos? Thanks!

What are the special events that one needs to pre-book for Marvel Day at Sea? Is it certain character photos? Thanks!

In the past, you’ve been able to book a meet and greet with Groot and with the heroes of New York which is included Iron Man, Spiderman, and Black Panther. Everything else was just available first come first served. Thor, Loki, Captain America, and Captain Marvel had timed greetings in the Navigator. Doctor Strange, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Starlord and Gamora were walking around. They do choose some children to participate in the Doctor Strange show, I would be to the theater at least 15 or 20 minutes ahead of time and sit in the lower section if you have a child that would like to participate.

In the past, you’ve been able to book a meet and greet with Groot and with the heroes of New York which is included Iron Man, Spiderman, and Black Panther. Everything else was just available first come first served. Thor, Loki, Captain America, and Captain Marvel had timed greetings in the Navigator. Doctor Strange, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Starlord and Gamora were walking around. They do choose some children to participate in the Doctor Strange show, I would be to the theater at least 15 or 20 minutes ahead of time and sit in the lower section if you have a child that would like to participate.

Thank you so much!

So I just booked our first Disney cruise for Feb 2020. The price, itinerary and dates worked perfect for us. Problem is that we only have 2 days at sea and one is the Marvel Day. My 3 year old daughter has no clue about Marvel characters and honestly just wants to see Minnie, Mickey, princesses etc. Does this Marvel day take over the whole ship and take away from the classic Disney experience?
If you're looking at heavy Marvel theming as "taking away" from the experience...this itinerary probably isn't what you want. During Marvel Day at Sea itself, there is very little going on that isn't Marvel-related. Yes, the regular characters will be out that day (in Marvel costumes) and there'll be a Mickey and Friends deck show (superhero-themed) before the main Marvel deck show of the evening...but it's the one day when people are making the most of all the activities, shows, and meet and greets, and the ship felt more crowded that day than on others. They'll be showing Marvel movies in all the theaters all day, the activities will all be Marvel-themed, and the dinner will be the Marvel-themed menu.

On the other days the ship operates pretty normally and all the classic Disney characters are out and about. If this itinerary works best for you but you have no interest at all in Marvel, I would suggest that you plan to take that day at sea as a time to hang out at the pool (and/or take the time to do a Palo brunch), since I don't think there'll be a whole lot else available that isn't Marvel-related. The more general activities that were offered on the other day at sea weren't really available on MDAS on my sailing.

Everything else was just available first come first served. Thor, Loki, Captain America, and Captain Marvel had timed greetings in the Navigator

I'd just add that the lines for those were really monumental. The two captains shared one space near the theater and alternated. There were still a good dozen people in line for Captain Marvel when Captain America showed up, and he expedited things by doing signings and greetings in line so the photos would go quicker. Loki and Thor shared the balcony and alternated and they put on quite the good show when they swapped with each other.

As has been repeated, the Marvel day will be nearly 100% Marvel. All movies, etc will be Marvel. If you’re not a fan and concerned that your daughter will be bored, the pool will be your best option. I’m afraid only the Dream and Wonder have non-themed sailings in the winter and spring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts