MASK advice

I hate things on my ears, and have found neck gaiters to be tolerable. Which in itself is odd, because I usually can't tolerate anything against my neck (thyroid issues make me uber aware of that area).

I hate things on my ears, and have found neck gaiters to be tolerable. Which in itself is odd, because I usually can't tolerate anything against my neck (thyroid issues make me uber aware of that area).
i feel claustrophobic in the neck ones surrounding tightly my entire neck . and they kept falling off my nose!

I plan to wear one that ties behind the head. This way I will only tie the top tie not the bottom one that way it will be more breathable and not so hot. The part that I have to tie I will have to use a bobby pin to hold the tie in place on my head. I am not afraid of catching the virus.

We live in Pennsylvania and masks are mandatory to enter any building. We are trying really hard to follow the rule and as parents are trying to send the right message to our kids. I can't imagine wearing them around an amusement park all day in the heat. I just don't think it would make for an enjoyable trip regardless of the material. I'm trying to understand how wearing a mask to walk into a restaurant, take the mask off to eat(in a lot of cases the mask will be set on the table)helps in the fight... I know they wipe the table down before the next person is seated but I really would rather not be seated at a table that held a used mask!!!! Maybe I'm over thinking the entire issue but I've come to love online shopping and grocery pickup. If I was sure the masks really worked I guess I'd feel different...... Just my opinion and I know I'm a little off topic. I have seen some people with a very thin mesh type fabric. I could actually see their face so I'm sure the mask was useless.

I plan to wear one that ties behind the head. This way I will only tie the top tie not the bottom one that way it will be more breathable and not so hot. The part that I have to tie I will have to use a bobby pin to hold the tie in place on my head. I am not afraid of catching the virus.
love the bobby pin idea . thanks

I ordered a Mission brand neck gaiter and love it. It’s loose fitting around the neck, dry wick material, breathable and light. Apparently when you wet it, it’s supposed to have a great cooling effect. I think their main base of customers in the past have been fishermen and other participants in sporting events during summer/heat.

I posted this the other day on another thread on masks, my notes might be helpful:
I thought I'd check in on this thread and share a few practical thoughts after doing 4-5 hour shifts of volunteer outdoor garden/maintenance work in a mask the past couple of days (small group of 5 people, two of which are family members of mine, the other two are not):

1. Fit is key. I wore homemade fabric masks both days. Yesterday's style has a bit of extra fabric bunching in front of my mouth and was pretty icky by the end of the work session. Today's style is a bit more face-formed and was a lot better even though today was warmer and I spent more time in the sun.
2. Not joking here, mints and mint lip balm are also key. Seriously.
3. If we end up going to WDW in July as planned, I'm going to want at least 2-3 clean masks per day to swap out.
4. It wasn't a big deal to keep hydrated by taking one ear off by the elastic and putting it back on afterward.
5. For lunchtime we just made sure we sanitized and wiped down and stayed 6+ feet away from one another.

We'll be back at it next weekend. I plan to try a disposable mask one of the days and see how that compares.

Also adding that wire at the nose bridge is a big deal for me since I wear glasses most of the time. That really helps keep fogging to a minimum.

If you sew, it is pretty easy to mess around with different styles and tweak little features to meet your needs. I feel really lucky to know how to sew these days!

This is the mask that both DH and I find the most comfortable: https://www.blanchemacdonald.com/st...te-a-washable-mask-with-coffee-filter-insert/

I tweaked it a bit and add wire at the nose bridge and made the sides into casings for elastic. I also ditched the pockets for filter material after using filters for a bit. DH prefers his with elastic bands that go behind his head rather than behind the ears. He's considered in an essential industry and has been going in to the office 3-4 days a week, so he's had plenty of testing time with my various iterations!

If I was sure the masks really worked I guess I'd feel different...... Just my opinion and I know I'm a little off topic.

They really work. States have done studies on which groups of people are getting the virus. They were surprised that the 1st responders and hospital staff had a lower % of infection rate than ones who normally don't wear masks.

The experts found people can have the virus but not show symptoms for up to 7+ days, just talking, sneezing, coughing, can spray the virus out into the air. The mask protects the person you are talking to, protects you from the talking person. They are not 100% fool proof, but do lower the chance of getting the virus.
I personally think Disney will require masks in parks because it is going to be harder than heck to keep people 6 ft. apart.
P.S. Masks are a pain to wear, but I'll wear them. Noticed I haven't had any colds the last few months.

so about the fogging of the glasses: i tried all of the online advice and doesn't work so great. has anyone done the double sided tape and if so can you explain that to me better ?

Our family has made it an easy decision...no Disney trips until the mask/face covering requirements are lifted.
What a great post and idea. I am glad you choose not to be one of the people that will go and try to "get away" without wearing one as much as possible. We are not going this year either but are honeymooning there next year and hope the mask requirements will have been lifted by then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!