Mask enforcement

Indiana Scott

Bothell Washington
Is WDW taking action against those that aren't wearing masks in the parks or will they just warn people and then let them do as they please?
The answer to this will weigh heavily in our family's decision to go or not. I feel like the parks could be relatively safe if the mask requirement is strictly enforced.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Last edited:
Ok but keep in mind that the Tips Board doesn’t get much traffic. You might not get an answer over here.

I'm not sure what type of "action" you are looking for. They are reminding people to wear their masks properly when they see someone not doing so. Of course, a Castmember must see the offender to do so. If you see someone not complying, just don't go near them or move away from them. Disney's a big place, you can avoid the idiots.

When we were there mask compliance was generally good (95% of people or more), and we did witness cast members speaking to anyone not properly wearing their masks (including children) - assuming they saw it of course. In general, we found it was easy enough to avoid anyone not following the rules.

Okay so the masks are a bit of a thing right now no matter where you go. There will be people not complying everywhere, it's just a matter of what you're comfortable with. That being said, I think Disney is doing pretty well. On an August trip I found that the airports are a little uncomfy. At the Poly, CMs would enforce it in the lobby and outside but it's a little harder on walking paths to rooms. CMs in the parks will not let you ride unless you have a mask on prior to getting on. I was in line for Pirates at MK and the CM running the boats would not move the next boat up until the party that had just loaded put their masks back on. There are also frequent announcements and the enforcement is better in the morning. I found that later in the day kids get tired and larger parties get antsy in line and it's harder for them to social distance and wear masks. But you can get out of line if you feel uncomfortable. I got out of line once at Pirates and Mickey's Philharmagic (that queue is terrible right now with so many kids in it) and almost got out at Small World because of how snug the plexiglass dividers were (this is a problem with larger parties). There is also no real punishment for not wearing a mask so sometimes people would take their masks off again once they were out of sight of CMs. Roller coasters do have a problem with this too, Everest in particular. But note as well that there are also going to always be people like this no matter where you go. For this reason, Disney's still one of the safer places to be right now and it actually might be a good place to start getting back into life with COVID and masks. If you're on the fence, I would just say be careful and go. Have a bit of grace for the people not complying and give them some space and move on. As of right now, I recommend going to Disney over your local grocery store.

I recently found mask enforcement to be professional and respectful, but extremely strict. If CM’s saw violations they were quick and persistent. I always felt comfortable in the Parks. the resort (poly) was more iffy, but it was easy to distance.

Annoucements and signs saturate property, and it seems to me that WDW was doing everything they possibly could to ensure compliance.

When we were there, mask compliance was pretty good. We always saw a few nose-peekers. If CM's were around and saw it, they were quick to ask them to fix it. We only saw one situation where a guy got argumentative with the CM. The CM went and got a supervisor and the supervisor talked to the guy. I don't think he got kicked out of the park, but he left the area we were in, so I'm not sure what happened.

Quite honestly, anyone asking about masks at WDW, in airplanes, at the airport, etc. should probably stay home. You will never feel 100% comfortable.

No, but there is a spectrum. Each person and each family needs to make decisions for themselves about what they will and won't do based on the level of risk and level of reward. Part of that risk determination includes "how close will I be to others?" and "will others be wearing masks/wearing them correctly?" If mask compliance is generally good and people aren't going to be right on top of me, then that is a lower risk. Not 0% risk - literally nothing is 0% risk, including staying home and having things delivered - but much lower than if people are ignoring the rules entirely. I don't think I've been 100% comfortable with anything in my life; if I didn't do anything unless I were 100% comfortable I wouldn't exist. People asking about masks are literally doing what a reasonable person would do when making a decision about what is or isn't going to be comfortable or safe for them. Saying "if you have to ask then don't even bother and just stay home" is really dismissive and takes a myopic view of all of this.

I'm not sure what type of "action" you are looking for. They are reminding people to wear their masks properly when they see someone not doing so. Of course, a Castmember must see the offender to do so. If you see someone not complying, just don't go near them or move away from them. Disney's a big place, you can avoid the idiots.
That’s our plan for our December trip. Steer clear of people who aren’t complying with the rules.

We just got back. We seen a number of people wearing the mask below the nose. We also did see Disney cast members calling people down for it..
We were in line for the Tower of Terror the other day. There was a family of of about 8 in front of us (Mom, Dad, 4 girls and 2 boys). They all kept pulling their masks down either below their nose or below their nose and mouth. A cast member walked by and asked them to pull up their masks. They pulled them up and them pulled them right back down after the cast member walked away. They also got called down for the youngest boy climbing and playing on the railing. They were a bit obnoxious to be around in general. Overall it appeared to us that most people comply and that Disney was doing a good job letting people know when to pull them up.

Just had a friend get back. She said mask wearing strictly enforced. A couple times when she was so so hot she ducked into a corner away from people she thought for a quick breath without it and a CM would appear around a corner and let her know she had to wear it properly

I'll just chime in to say that "enforcement" involves taking away ride pictures for those that don't wear masks. Poor form of enforcement due to the fact that the actions of others meant I didn't get any Dinosaur pictures and also lost most of my MK pics in shared vehicles like Pirates and Splash :( We visited for 2 weeks and went into a park every day and I was saddened at how often we did not get our pictures.

We’ve been to the parks many times since they have opened, and cast members are often polite and firm about requiring people to wear masks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!