Mask Requirements Even OUTSIDE with your family on the Beach

i want to go so badly for my birthday this december, but with so many restaurants closed and activities/entertainment temporarily unavailable, i don't know if there is much fun to be had. at WDW you don't need to wear masks at the pool, but at aulani would we need to?! O_O

That is correct. The only exception currently is if you are at the beach by yourself and physically distanced from others. For the pools at Aulani what I was told is they must be worn when not in the water or if you are actively eating and drinking.

new aulani game plan: spend 16 hours a day in the lazy river, with short intermittent breaks to eat and drink. got it.

Don't get me wrong as I AM ALL FOR MASKS - but man....I do hope this gets tweaked a bit - I don't want to have to sit on the beach with JUST my DH and wear a mask.......I'm in CA and we do not wear masks when we are hiking, walking etc as long as we are the only people around.....and CA is pretty crazy right now as we all know..... ;)

Honestly, even in the first few days Hawaii is struggling with people not following the rules. Turns out people willing to make the long flight also are people who are less likely to take precautions, which... was predictable in many ways.

Given how much of the mainland is in uncontrolled spread, and the limited health systems on the islands, they are going to be strict.

Masks will still be necessary unless you are engaged in physical outdoor activity. So just sitting on the beach a mask is required, Walking, running, playing frisbee for example you do not need a mask.

I agree with you CodyBoy that there is a lot to read through and take in. I could be wrong but it almost sounds like sitting on the beach with your family as long as you are sure you are six feet away from others is allowed without a mask. Here’s why I think that. I’m putting these two sections from the order together.
Order 5: Face coverings.
All individuals within the City shall wear face coverings while outdoors in public spaces when maintaining a physical distance of six (6) feet from other individuals (who are not members of the same household or living unit) is not feasible.
And
Order 7: Beaches.
Consistent with Governor David Y. Ige’s COVID-19 related proclamations and approval of this Order, all beaches and sand bars within the City may be opened for limited use as set forth below:
A. Up to five (5) individuals may engage in any lawful activity (e.g., walking, running, biking, sitting, fishing, etc.) as a group on the beach.

So sitting on the beach is lawful and you are required to wear a mask when you can’t physically distance which makes it sound like you don’t have to when you can. However I get where sparks&whimsy is coming from because there is another section on when no masks are required and it only mentions physical activity
Face coverings under this Order may not be worn only under the following circumstances and of of the reasons listed is:
C. By individuals engaging in physical activity outdoors where proper physical distancing of at least six (6) feet is maintainable and maintained (e.g., walking, jogging, hiking,etc.)

So all I’m really sure of is that I’m completely confused.

Honestly, even in the first few days Hawaii is struggling with people not following the rules. Turns out people willing to make the long flight also are people who are less likely to take precautions, which... was predictable in many ways.

Given how much of the mainland is in uncontrolled spread, and the limited health systems on the islands, they are going to be strict.
Are there fewer doctors or hospital beds per capita in HI than other states? Honest question. And where on the mainland is spread currently uncontrolled?

I agree with you CodyBoy that there is a lot to read through and take in. I could be wrong but it almost sounds like sitting on the beach with your family as long as you are sure you are six feet away from others is allowed without a mask. Here’s why I think that. I’m putting these two sections from the order together.
Order 5: Face coverings.
All individuals within the City shall wear face coverings while outdoors in public spaces when maintaining a physical distance of six (6) feet from other individuals (who are not members of the same household or living unit) is not feasible.
And
Order 7: Beaches.
Consistent with Governor David Y. Ige’s COVID-19 related proclamations and approval of this Order, all beaches and sand bars within the City may be opened for limited use as set forth below:
A. Up to five (5) individuals may engage in any lawful activity (e.g., walking, running, biking, sitting, fishing, etc.) as a group on the beach.

So sitting on the beach is lawful and you are required to wear a mask when you can’t physically distance which makes it sound like you don’t have to when you can. However I get where sparks&whimsy is coming from because there is another section on when no masks are required and it only mentions physical activity
Face coverings under this Order may not be worn only under the following circumstances and of of the reasons listed is:
C. By individuals engaging in physical activity outdoors where proper physical distancing of at least six (6) feet is maintainable and maintained (e.g., walking, jogging, hiking,etc.)

So all I’m really sure of is that I’m completely confused.

so just to be clear my statement is based off living on island and my observations and conversations with fellow locals not me trying to be the mask police. After the first set of Hawaii's stay at home orders ended we locals flocked back to the beaches without masks because at that time we were being told as long as we were outdoors and observing physical distancing we could be mask free at the beach. Then our cases began to rise and the next thing you knew we were back under lockdown. That is when all the citations began. At this time people are being cited for not wearing masks at the beach while sitting in groups because anyone who is engaged in physical activity could come by at any time and therefore you are never really socially distanced. At least this is HPD's logic. The mayor was just yesterday handing out masks to visitors at beaches as many have said the rules seem unclear to them. This has now prompted a PSA video to be made to be shown on all flights arriving to HNL so that people can more clearly understand the rules. Trust me this has been a confusing issue for us all. I recently got cited for pulling my car over to beach parking to take a phone call (yes, the beach was closed at the time so that was my fault, but my citation was for not wearing a mask while in my car on the phone.)

i want to go so badly for my birthday this december, but with so many restaurants closed and activities/entertainment temporarily unavailable, i don't know if there is much fun to be had. at WDW you don't need to wear masks at the pool, but at aulani would we need to?! O_O
With as strict as Hawaii has been with all this, its not surprising to me that masks are required while on the pool deck and not in the water. I'm actually a little surprised that WDW doesn't enforce mask wearing while sitting in pool loungers. Las Vegas enforces that and they were pretty lax in the beginning.

if you put in too many rules that don't make sense, people will stop following all of the rules
Wait! what?? So we need masks in the car too???
Exactly why panic and fear have led to common sense fleeing! Safety theater is ALL some leaders care about whether it’s science backed or logical or not. And people wonder why there’s pandemic fatigue? Good grief!

someone point to peer reviewed studies that show you WILL immediately get infected sitting on a beach as someone walks by you (and of course that person HAS to be always 100% infectious 100% of the time forever); with sunlight and a breeze blowing. Because of course, we know that clouds and clouds of virus particles just hang immobilized in air forever!/s

So now that Oahu is TIER 2, there is a change to the mask rule for being outside with family only and 6 feet from others :) it was even with family now it states who are not members of your own family/household.

Order 5: Face coverings. All individuals within the City shall wear face coverings while outdoors in public spaces when maintaining a physical distance of six (6) feet from other individuals (who are not members of the same household or living unit) is not feasible.

All individuals within the City shall wear face coverings while indoors in public spaces, including, but not limited to, enclosed common areas of commercial and residential buildings.

https://www.honolulu.gov/rep/site/may/may_docs/Emergency_Order_No._2020-29_certified_-_signed.pdf

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!