Masks at DLR in late 2021 (ON TOPIC Posts Only!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminder to everyone participating in this thread: Please keep your comments non-political and on topic to the OP's specific question. This is NOT a thread about venting your opinions about politics, mask wearing in general, pros/cons thereof, etc. All off topic comments will be deleted.
For those who are staying on topic and answering the OP's question, thank you!
Now, back to the show!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm really not sure we could handle wearing masks all day, I can barely manage an hour in one walking around a nice cool air conditioned shopping mall. If this was just another vacation to Disney then I would say let's go for it, but it's literally our kids first ever Disney experience. If masks are required then I can't see it any other way than negative.
For the kids first ever Disney experience I think you should NOT go until masks are not required. No parades, no fireworks, no up close character experiences...

Not a good first Disney experience. Waiting is difficult. But better to suffer the waiting than have a negative first time Disney trip.

trying to saying this in a nice way , not trying to get argumentative or political, but it sounds like you need to change your attitude towards masks. Only wearing if less than an hour is the problem. Its like everything new, you need to build up your tolerance. Each day time yourself wearing the mask, and increase it little by little. Ok so try 60 minutes today. Then tomorrow, try 70 minutes. Then try 30 minutes out and about, not in an air conditioned mall. Built up your tolerance, little by little and suddenly you will find that 4 hours have gone by and you are fine.

It sounds like you have mask anxiety. Get that under control and lead by example. Let your kids see that wearing a mask is no big deal, if you have a positive attitude, your kids will have a positive attitude.

Why should you deny your kids a trip to Disney, when you have the money and can get the vacation and the only thing stopping you is your negative attitude to masks.

Again just trying to be helpful and please read this as a positive motivational post, not a negative post :) :grouphug:

@Hlp04 I want you to know how you feel is OK. There is NOTHING wrong with it. Some people can “get over it” with enough training and for others not so much.

I also want to say you are not denying your kids anything. It’s is absolutely ok to not want their first trip to Disneyland to be in masks. Not seeing the smiles of my children on their first trip to Disney would rip my heart out.

Personally I believe the mask mandate for DLR will last as long as the CA mandate does. Unfortunately nobody on this planet knows how long that will be. If you want to book but don’t want to go if masks are still in place book everything refundable and don’t buy DLR tickets yet. DLR will be there in 2022 and beyond- and better than ever. The park grows with new projects every year :)

Thank you @gottalovepluto The comment about denying my kids did slightly touch a nerve and I was thinking about it all night. I just want everything to be as perfect as can be, not only is it our kids first trip to Disney but their first ever holiday outside of the UK.
I guess all we can do is wait and see, fingers crossed for a vaccine soon and hope things improve.
Stay safe everyone.

I guess all we can do is wait and see, fingers crossed for a vaccine soon and hope things improve.
Stay safe everyone.
I think this sums it up pretty well for all of us planning trips to DLR right now. OP, keep up with these two superthreads for the latest news, updates, Disney and CA announcements, etc.:
DLR REOPENING SUPERTHREAD (DL & DCA TBA) (DTD OPENED 7/09/20): Post Official News and Updates Here! KEEP CHECKING FIRST PAGE FOR DLR UPDATES! (this superthread will have OFFICIAL news about the parks reopening and the new rules and requirements)
and
Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread (this one has everyone's best guesses and all the latest rumors about what might happen).
Between those two threads, you'll be well informed about the new rules in the parks and when things change. For now, I would plan for the most strict rules (e.g. masks required for who knows how long) just to be on the safe side. Then, if the rules relax before your trip dates, great! And if they don't change, you'll already be well prepared.

I think you can make plans as long as whatever you book is fully refundable. Then if things have not settled down, you can postphone the trip to a later date when they have. Whilst I usually like to plan well in advance to get the best deals and accommodation options, in the current climate it may be worthwhile to hold off as well until the situation becomes clearer. Spending a little more may be worthwhile to ensure you get the experience you want for you and your family.

One thing I will suggest is that as your children have not visited before, do your best to keep them away from the ride through attraction videos, kinda dilutes that first experience. I’m sure I enjoyed Smugglers Run far more by not getting a YouTube ”preview” prior to riding it as opposed to looking at all the ride through’s prior to my first Orlando trip a couple of years ago

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm really not sure we could handle wearing masks all day, I can barely manage an hour in one walking around a nice cool air conditioned shopping mall. If this was just another vacation to Disney then I would say let's go for it, but it's literally our kids first ever Disney experience. If masks are required then I can't see it any other way than negative. But I also hate the thought of postponing until 2022, I'm so torn haha

As others have said, maybe a theme park vacation is not in your cards until "this" is all over. That's OK. We did fine with masks at WDW, but not everyone will. We are also from Texas and go to Florida a lot; we are used to hot, crummy weather. I wouldn't do it for other reasons for first timers. There's a lot that probably won't be happening that they will miss. We go to the theme parks often and know that we can return, hopefully, to do things again. It's hard when it's your first trip though. How old are you kids? You will probably have plenty of time to take them later. Once this is over, I am not putting off vacations though. So many places that I want to go to that I actually can't now. We are running out of years to take our son places, since he just entered high school. Hopefully, he will appreciate a free vacation with the parents once he's left the house.

I think masks are going to be around for at least the next year, as a previous poster stated I don’t see the rollback on the mandate happening until a good percentage of the population has received the vaccine.

I think masks are going to be around for at least the next year, as a previous poster stated I don’t see the rollback on the mandate happening until a good percentage of the population has received the vaccine.
Remember OP is talking about a trip in Nov 2021. Whilst a vaccine may or may not be available and widely used, I still think they can plan as long as those plans are fully refundable.

Thank you for the replies everyone. We definitely won't be booking anything that isn't refundable or flexible to move.

Hi, I know we can only speculate but I was wondering about peoples general thoughts on face masks still being required late next year.
Do you think it's likely they will still be enforced in Nov 21?
This would be our first visit to DL and our kids first ever Disney vacation, it breaks my heart to think of it being spent in a mask all day. ☹

I will go against what others have said. I personally would skip it until such time that masks are not required and this thing is either well under control or a thing of the past. I had to wear a mask for 2 hours a few weeks ago at the hair salon and I had a headache for the rest of the day. I really can't stand them (I understand the necessity, I just personally can't stand wearing them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter