Masks for pregnant women?

Disneysoule

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! My wife, 7 , 5 year old and I have a trip planned at the end of July - beginning of August and I was wondering if anyone had any advice about masks for pregnant women? Obviously there is a lot in the air with opening but trying to do some research in case. do they make them? any recommendations or ideas where to look? Thanks for any help!!

Hi everyone! My wife, 7 , 5 year old and I have a trip planned at the end of July - beginning of August and I was wondering if anyone had any advice about masks for pregnant women? Obviously there is a lot in the air with opening but trying to do some research in case. do they make them? any recommendations or ideas where to look? Thanks for any help!!
I think you can use a regular mask. I don’t see why being pregnant would require a different type of facial mask from a non-pregnant person. Maybe I’m missing something?

MarBee... you could very well be right... I have no knowledge on the subject so just putting it out there to see if anyone does. I think finding the most breathable mask will be most important because we are from MA and the heat will be a lot for us. Thanks!

MarBee... you could very well be right... I have no knowledge on the subject so just putting it out there to see if anyone does. I think finding the most breathable mask will be most important because we are from MA and the heat will be a lot for us. Thanks!

I'm pregnant and wear a cloth mask just fine, honestly it's harder for me to breathe in the cold dry air of NH....

any recommendations or ideas where to look? Thanks for any help!!
A lot of people don't like the feeling of cloth against their face. Especially as the cloth gets damp from their breath; and of concern for the Florida heat, sweat. Filtering respirator masks like the N95 have some advantage there because the mask only contacts the face at its edge.

I don't know that an N95 would be a good idea though. There's been some research that gives reason for concern. There's a few studies I can find using the Google and some say there were no effects of using the N95 on some measured properties like blood O2 and fetal heart rate. But the study I linked and one conducted by NIOSH do note some effects that could be a problem. All of the studies only measured the effects of wearing the mask for one hour or less. CO2 poisoning is a real thing and it can sneak up on you.

One thing I have seen done is if you have one of the more rigid N95 masks, cut large portions of it away, leaving like a wireframe left and then cover that part with cloth. It obviously won't filter like the N95 but it will serve the same purpose as a cloth mask without having the fabric against the face.

Alternately, there are reusable dust masks that take replaceable cartridges or sometimes sheet filter material. They usually have a very comfortable silicone mask material.

If you have access to a 3d printer, there are many designs hosted on the NIH 3D Print website. Many are adjustable for size and shape to get a very comfortable fit. They usually work by capturing a few layers of filtering material and the amount and type of material can be chosen based on how effective the filtration must be and how much airflow restriction you can tolerate. I have tested the 'Montana Mask' and with 3 layers of MERS 13 furnace filter material it's filtering 90% of Coronavirus sized particles. 2 layers breaths much easier and still filters 75%. Not really the endorsement of a certified lab but good enough at least to say it's better than nothing.

Look on Etsy they have homemade mask with a filter pocket. So she will have added protection but it could be hotter for her to breath with. Or maybe have her wear 2 -3 different masks a day. That way she will have a clean one on at different times of the day. One for breakfast a different one for lunch and a new one for dinner

I’m a Floridian and had to wear masks for years before this. Being pregnant in a mask in the Florida summer was miserable. Having multiple masks to switch between helps, as does drinking even more water. Plan on a ton of breaks and avoid being out during the hottest parts of the day.

I'm a pregnant woman and the regular medical masks seem more comfortable for me then the cloth masks.

I live in Arizona so I don't normally wear cloth masks cause I get so hot and feel like I'm suffocating. The regular medical masks are so much more easier to breathe.

Like Random Ninja suggested, Take more breaks, sit in the shade, drink plenty of water. Try to do more things when the sun goes down. Us pregnant women get hot super fast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts