Masks in Public Resort Areas/Pools

We will be at VBR June 29-July 4 and OKW July 6-10. I just don’t see why you’d have to wear a mask from the room to the pool (or anywhere else outside around the resort) if no one is around. I’m expecting very low crowds during this time. I understand the mask requirement if people are around or you’re inside but the outside thing just doesn’t make sense to me!

Disney has said its pools will be open and no masks when swimming. Basically you wear your mask when you leave your room, you take it off at the pool, you put it on when shopping, you wear it at the food court, you take it off when eating. You wear your mask in the lobby, no take it off when you return to your room.

I think this will be pretty low stress for everyone as long as occupancy and crowds are low. That is likely to be the case because many people don't want to travel now for many reasons.

Universal is opening in few days and it will be interesting to see the experience and crowds there.
I was told when at the pool you must wear mask unless you are in the pool so mask on when sitting in a chair by the pool. the resort is sold out so will be crowded and they will limit number of people at the pools.

We will be at VBR June 29-July 4 and OKW July 6-10. I just don’t see why you’d have to wear a mask from the room to the pool (or anywhere else outside around the resort) if no one is around. I’m expecting very low crowds during this time. I understand the mask requirement if people are around or you’re inside but the outside thing just doesn’t make sense to me!
I think Disney is trying to keep the rules as simple and consistent as possible to avoid second-guessing, confusion, angry guests and cast members put in bad situations.

I think Disney is trying to keep the rules as simple and consistent as possible to avoid second-guessing, confusion, angry guests and cast members put in bad situations.

I’d agree that it makes it easier to have a blanket rule. They may choose to be lenient in outdoor space when people are distancing themselves. If it wasn’t a requirement for outside, I could see a lot of folks walking through the lobby without a mask and saying “oh I’m just going outside!”

I was told when at the pool you must wear mask unless you are in the pool so mask on when sitting in a chair by the pool. the resort is sold out so will be crowded and they will limit number of people at the pools.

by whom were you told?

This mirrors what I had heard/read, but I don't recall where. I think at this point my head just spins with all the speculation while I try to figure out what is/was real. Disney's wording about masks does say masks "while swimming", and are required in public areas of the resorts. This strongly implies a mask will be required poolside, which can be removed when you jump in the pool.

This mirrors what I had heard/read, but I don't recall where. I think at this point my head just spins with all the speculation while I try to figure out what is/was real. Disney's wording about masks does say masks "while swimming", and are required in public areas of the resorts. This strongly implies a mask will be required poolside, which can be removed when you jump in the pool.

So what do you do with the mask when in the pool? You can't leave on the pool deck like you would shoes.

So what do you do with the mask when in the pool? You can't leave on the pool deck like you would shoes.

Personal guess? On your lounge chair maybe? Someplace you can get to in a reasonable amount of time after departing the pool so you can dry yourself off enough to safely put it on. No one is going to expect someone to be standing there to mask you the second you get out of the pool, but I imagine if people abuse it by walking for miles around their resort using the I-just-got-out-of-the-pool excuse, they may find themselves unwelcome in the pool area. To me, a lot of this is just common sense, a little effort and some respect for the rules. They aren't going to hand us a book with every exception; it would be way too much reading. I can't wait for more official announcements on what to expect tho.

Personal guess? On your lounge chair maybe? Someplace you can get to in a reasonable amount of time after departing the pool so you can dry yourself off enough to safely put it on. No one is going to expect someone to be standing there to mask you the second you get out of the pool, but I imagine if people abuse it by walking for miles around their resort using the I-just-got-out-of-the-pool excuse, they may find themselves unwelcome in the pool area. To me, a lot of this is just common sense, a little effort and some respect for the rules. They aren't going to hand us a book with every exception; it would be way too much reading. I can't wait for more official announcements on what to expect tho.

I understand what you’re saying but I feel like if you can take it off leaving your chair to go to the pool why can’t you just leave it off while at your chair? Presumably you won’t be sitting inches away from anyone who isn’t in your travel party - I doubt that they will have the chairs spaced as they previously did.
You’re just sitting there.
I don’t know - I won’t know till we are there - but it seems a bit for show.
Our pools are opening here and we are not asked to wear masks outside of our family chair area or while swimming obviously.

I guess we will see.

We have a BCV ressie in October. I'm so very up in the air about this right now. I'm pregnant, and not sure I could walk around in the heat with a mask, I don't think limiting our Oxygen is very safe in those temps, but I was thinking maybe just not really doing parks and taking advantage of the pool, however, I was shocked to see that out in the open air in the resorts we will have to wear masks. How would that work in the pool area and with swimming? Any news being seen on the pool areas?
Your right. Our neighbor works at Ford and last week for 3 days it was close to 90 degree's outside and much hotter in the plant. It sent a lot of people to the nurse because they had headaches and felt dizzy wearing mask in the heat

I am waiting for more information since there is no way I am paying on site prices for a poor experience when I can get a much cheaper hotel with more reasonable polices. Just my families personal situation.

Are there any excursions in VeroBeach or Destin area. Such as, Fishing, swimming with dolphans, parasailing, Tours, etc.

What about mask at the big pool (ocean)? Is setting on the beach allowed in Florida? Can you get in the water?

What about mask at the big pool (ocean)? Is setting on the beach allowed in Florida? Can you get in the water?
Right now, beach rules are all over the place. Some beaches allow chairs, tents, cooler. Some don't allow any chairs or tents or coolers. Some don't allow tents and coolers on the weekend. Some don't allow any lying on the beach anytime. Some allow lying on the beach during limited hours only. By the time VB opens, it will probably be okay to do almost anything on the beach.

It doesn't matter what beach rules are.

1. Disney is private property and can set their own rules.

2. Disney's mask rule is set in accordance with their agreement with the union to bring cast members back to work. It's not arbitrary. Masks and mask enforcement is a condition of being able to open, because no masks = no CMs.

3. Being resistant to masks if you are on property is disrespectful to the CMs, based on it being one of their conditions to return to work to allow you to be there.

Don't be That Guest. Go somewhere else if you are unwilling to follow the rules put down.

It doesn't matter what beach rules are.

1. Disney is private property and can set their own rules.

2. Disney's mask rule is set in accordance with their agreement with the union to bring cast members back to work. It's not arbitrary. Masks and mask enforcement is a condition of being able to open, because no masks = no CMs.

3. Being resistant to masks if you are on property is disrespectful to the CMs, based on it being one of their conditions to return to work to allow you to be there.

Don't be That Guest. Go somewhere else if you are unwilling to follow the rules put down.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting to break rules or put anyone in danger. I haven't seen one post that said "well i just won't wear them no matter what because i don't want to so what". Have you?

And it absolutely DOES matter what the beach rules are, on the beach - wherever relevant. For example, at Vero and Hilton Head, the Disney allows you to access a public beach. Disney cannot enforce its rules on that beach. Inside its resort absolutely yes it can. I think people are just talking about things because they are as of yet, vague and unprecedented. Personally I don't know what it will look like in practice.

We are just trying to figure out the specifics and hash out the possibilities because it hasn't actually started yet At least I am.

I'm saying there is no specific language re: pools. You exist in fewer places in a pool - right? On your chair? In the Pool? Are people just getting their steps in by walking around a pool deck? Do you see that happen often under normal circumstances?

That's why I think a lot of people are wondering how this will work at a pool because it's not like we are all walking around leisurely passing by everyone and waving. We go to the pool to plonk down on a chair on be in the water. If we get up and order food we should be wearing a mask. If we go to the bathroom, same thing. Because we could be interacting with other people and cast members.

The mask rules are to protect cast members - absolutely. I can see how that works in the parks.

We are all over the place and all up in their business.

But in a pool area? Not so much. Your response came off really hostile, I'm not sure that's how you meant it but I'm not sure we know what is going to be required 100% until it actually happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!