Masks in Public Resort Areas/Pools

jvalic33

Mouseketeer
We have a BCV ressie in October. I'm so very up in the air about this right now. I'm pregnant, and not sure I could walk around in the heat with a mask, I don't think limiting our Oxygen is very safe in those temps, but I was thinking maybe just not really doing parks and taking advantage of the pool, however, I was shocked to see that out in the open air in the resorts we will have to wear masks. How would that work in the pool area and with swimming? Any news being seen on the pool areas?

All we have it what has been reported, IMO, at the beginning they will be pretty strict and as things progress with the virus and the safety in place, things will relax..ie: no mask if in a pool and 6 ft from each other,

Ill be there at VGF on July 3rd, We will see exactly how it works then!

In the Universal Studios FAQ they said no masks in the water park pools and rides. Would be surprised if Disney was different.

Edit here is the faq. They’re not even permitted:

8. At Volcano Bay, will I have to wear my face covering while on the slides?
Face coverings are recommended when guests cannot socially distance. They will not be permitted on slides and in pools.

This is from the CDC.gov
Promoting Behaviors that Prevent the Spread of COVID-19
Public aquatic venues can consider different strategies to encourage healthy hygiene, including:
  • Hand Hygiene and Respiratory Etiquette
    • Encouraging all staff, patrons, and swimmers to wash their hands often and cover their coughs and sneezes.
  • Cloth Face Coverings
    • Encouraging the use of cloth face coveringsas feasible. Face coverings are most essential in times when physical distancing is difficult.
      • Advise those wearing face coverings to not wear them in the water. Cloth face coverings can be difficult to breathe through when they’re wet.

We have a BCV ressie in October. I'm so very up in the air about this right now. I'm pregnant, and not sure I could walk around in the heat with a mask, I don't think limiting our Oxygen is very safe in those temps, but I was thinking maybe just not really doing parks and taking advantage of the pool, however, I was shocked to see that out in the open air in the resorts we will have to wear masks. How would that work in the pool area and with swimming? Any news being seen on the pool areas?

If you're in the water, you wouldn't have to wear a mask. Being in the water would be one of the safer places, given that the pools are chlorinated.

But yeah, walking around other people, you would be required to wear a mask, just like walking around in the actual parks.

I'd assume there would be some leeway if, for example, you and your family were the only ones in the pool area and/or quite a distance away from other people. But the goal would be for people to assume that masks are the norm, at least for the time being.

There is an update that I saw posted that no, you do not wear masks when swimming!

Only when walking around public areas and I assume if you are sitting on a chair near others.
Thank you, if any of you hear of updates, please let me know and I'll post if I see anything as well. We have really had no exposure since this all started so while I don't want to spread it and recognize "some" of the benefits of masks, we'll be driving down (intentionally) and our area has under 100 cases so I'm hoping to not have to be in a mask all the time.

What I don't understand at a water park is where we are supposed to put the mask while we go on a slide. Like I wear it up to the stairway entrance, where do I put it where it stays dry and I can go pick it up? Probably carry ziploc bags and put it in my husbands pocket.

WHO just came out and said healthy people should only wear a mask when caring for a covid patient. If you do not have symptoms then no mask. Can these people ever make up their minds.
I know, the confusion and misinformation is very disconcerting and I feel for the cast members having to be in these masks all day. Of course I'm sure half feel safer with them and half would rather be without them. It's such a tough situation.

Also and like another poster said, where do we put them down and and retrieve them, do our kids wear them lining up for the pirate slide and have to take baggies with them to store them in before they go down it?

I'm hoping lots will be figured out before October but I also need as much info as possible to decide if I want to keep my ressie. There are 8 of us going.....not cheap!

What I don't understand at a water park is where we are supposed to put the mask while we go on a slide. Like I wear it up to the stairway entrance, where do I put it where it stays dry and I can go pick it up? Probably carry ziploc bags and put it in my husbands pocket.

They are not opening the water parks yet and this could be why. Too difficult because you aren’t going to wear a mask most of the time.

You do not have to wear a mask while eating, drinking, or swimming. I plan on having a cocktail in my hand at the pool and if they say anything, just take a drink and point to it. I'm fine wearing one walking around DS but I am not going to wear one while sitting in a pool chair 6 ft away from others.

WHO just came out and said healthy people should only wear a mask when caring for a covid patient. If you do not have symptoms then no mask. Can these people ever make up their minds.
Most companies in the U.S. are following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations. They include wearing masks.

There is a lot of emotion and anger surrounding mask-wearing. Businesses like Disney are making decisions that impact people personally and some don't like it. This is going on all over society now.

In the end, it's Disney's house and their house rules.

A greater concern for me would be seeing people fighting with cast members over rules and then Disney shutting down pools and common areas to everyone if people are ignoring the rules.

Hopefully once the resorts and pools open, things will be relatively quiet and we can all just get along having a good time.

Most companies in the U.S. are following Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations. They include wearing masks.

There is a lot of emotion and anger surrounding mask-wearing. Businesses like Disney are making decisions that impact people personally and some don't like it. This is going on all over society now.

In the end, it's Disney's house and their house rules.

A greater concern for me would be seeing people fighting with cast members over rules and then Disney shutting down pools and common areas to everyone if people are ignoring the rules.

Hopefully once the resorts and pools open, things will be relatively quiet and we can all just get along having a good time.
Talked to dvc today and mask have to be worn anytime outside of room even Hilton Head. We had 5 grandkids going with us and just would not be a good situation so I cancelled trip on rented point and lost $3000. What upsets me is you can go anywhere on Hilton Head with out a mask except Disney resort.

Talked to dvc today and mask have to be worn anytime outside of room even Hilton Head. We had 5 grandkids going with us and just would not be a good situation so I cancelled trip on rented point and lost $3000. What upsets me is you can go anywhere on Hilton Head with out a mask except Disney resort.
So sorry to hear of this. I understand - we were set to go to Disneyland Paris & Italy (Tauck tour) this summer with a group and planning over a year. If masks are required to be worn all over HH, does that mean the pools will not be open? Not sure how that would work, of course.

Disney has said its pools will be open and no masks when swimming. Basically you wear your mask when you leave your room, you take it off at the pool, you put it on when shopping, you wear it at the food court, you take it off when eating. You wear your mask in the lobby, no take it off when you return to your room.

I think this will be pretty low stress for everyone as long as occupancy and crowds are low. That is likely to be the case because many people don't want to travel now for many reasons.

Universal is opening in few days and it will be interesting to see the experience and crowds there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!