Masks Provide More Protection Against Covid-19 Than A Vaccine

My first question is, what behavior might they be trying to motivate? I'm guessing they're afraid once they start vaccinating *some* people, they are concerned lots of people will stop wearing masks, whether they have been vaccinated or not.

This isn't entirely new thinking. Early on, when Italy and China were the epicenter, there was some theorizing about the role infectious dose plays in the severity of illness, based mostly on the fact that health care professionals were having more severe cases and higher fatality rates than would be expected for their age and health. And I've read some opinions suggesting that it might play a role in our declining hospitalization and death rates now, even though case numbers are still high and the virus is pretty widespread (although the changing age profile of the infected is thought to factor into that as well). It is promising that serious research is now supporting the idea, but I doubt we'll see it have much effect on our national response. People are too entrenched in their perspectives by now, whether that perspective is "masks are worthless" or "we need to stay shut down" and aren't likely to change in response to a single piece of new information.

Another person running their mouth and then in another month will say something else. Scary part is how many people think that masks should never go away ever is what worries me more.
I've always loved how some (all?) Asian countries wear masks during cold and flu season. It just makes sense. I'm so hoping that is one thing that sticks around after this pandemic is over with.

I've always loved how some (all?) Asian countries wear masks during cold and flu season. It just makes sense. I'm so hoping that is one thing that sticks around after this pandemic is over with.

Umm if people want to sure, but mandates forcing to wear nope. And no they don't just always wear them during flu and cold season, yes some wear them when they are actually sick but its by no means everyone. My SIL lived in south korea for a year and never wore one and said the only time people wore was when they were actually sick and in crowded places.

To provide context:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/16/cdc...ore-protection-than-coronavirus-vaccine-.html
Key Points
  • A potential coronavirus vaccine will likely be available in limited quantities by the end of this year, but it may only be about 70% effective, CDC Director Robert Redfield said.
  • A 50% effective vaccine would be roughly on par with those for influenza but below the effectiveness of one dose of a measles vaccination, which is about 93% effective, according to the CDC.
  • The CDC and the WHO now suggest people wear face coverings to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, which is spread through respiratory droplets when a person coughs, sneezes or talks.

Full details at the above link.

This isn't entirely new thinking. Early on, when Italy and China were the epicenter, there was some theorizing about the role infectious dose plays in the severity of illness, based mostly on the fact that health care professionals were having more severe cases and higher fatality rates than would be expected for their age and health. And I've read some opinions suggesting that it might play a role in our declining hospitalization and death rates now, even though case numbers are still high and the virus is pretty widespread (although the changing age profile of the infected is thought to factor into that as well). It is promising that serious research is now supporting the idea, but I doubt we'll see it have much effect on our national response. People are too entrenched in their perspectives by now, whether that perspective is "masks are worthless" or "we need to stay shut down" and aren't likely to change in response to a single piece of new information.

I saw that same research very early, too...and have lived by it since:).

Look at Coscto and Home Depot, places at least locally who have been open and required masks from day one 7 days a week. Thousands of customers a week and very few cases. Google and see how many cases come from churches who are open one hour a week, there are a bunch, weddings are another super spreader. Masks work

Umm if people want to sure, but mandates forcing to wear nope. And no they don't just always wear them during flu and cold season, yes some wear them when they are actually sick but its by no means everyone. My SIL lived in south korea for a year and never wore one and said the only time people wore was when they were actually sick and in crowded places.
Wouldn't it be nice if people were that courteous here? Wearing a mask when you are sick to respect your fellow man. What a concept.

I think he was really trying to counter the dubious claims that we will all have a vaccine in October. He said it will likely be 9 months before everyone is vaccinated. So until then we should be wearing masks to get the virus under control. A fantasy I know, sad that mask wearing in the country has become so politicized.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!