Masks Provide More Protection Against Covid-19 Than A Vaccine

{{sigh}} Isn’t that the truth? Had we not been blatantly lied to in order to manipulate early on, we maybe now wouldn’t be so automatically suspicious.

This is SO true.

The manipulation over the masks was infuriating. Present the science to us. Do not lie so people won't gobble up supplies. Maybe go to the manufactures and tell them to deliver the masks to the hospitals directly.

But the whole "Let's tell them masks don't work so we can stock our hospitals first" is the reason people have difficulty believing some of the science. The people presenting the "findings" aren't always honest.

Exactly.... I think he is trying to brace us for what is probably a vaccine that isn't the magic bullet. We need to use all the tools to help us get past this virus.
But I don't need to be "braced". I need the facts presented to me. Stating that the mask will offer more protection is irresponsible. He needed to discuss that the vaccine isn't going to automatically cure the virus and we need to be vigilant with masks until the vaccine works. But he spoke with such finality and confidence that "his face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against COVID than when I take a COVID vaccine".

But I don't need to be "braced". I need the facts presented to me. Stating that the mask will offer more protection is irresponsible. He needed to discuss that the vaccine isn't going to automatically cure the virus and we need to be vigilant with masks until the vaccine works. But he spoke with such finality and confidence that "his face mask is more guaranteed to protect me against COVID than when I take a COVID vaccine".
While he might be propping up mask wearing in a post vaccine world, he might also be hurting the number of people who will choose to be vaccinated.

While he might be propping up mask wearing in a post vaccine world, he might also be hurting the number of people who will choose to be vaccinated.
Exactly. Like my BIL and his crazy wife. They were already saying they aren't getting the Covid vaccine, now they think they have this statement to prove that they just have to keep wearing their masks and no vaccine needed.

Redfield had the opportunity to encourage both vaccine and masks, and he did not.

50% effective is the acceptable rate for the vaccine.
I've been wearing my mask now for months, going out locally, getting together with groups without masks and social distancing, going on vacation. My dh has been working from the very beginning, my ds has been working at a grocery store for the last month.
So far masks for us have been 100% effective in preventing COVID. Just saying.
I've got no problem continuing this if need be instead of getting a rushed out vaccine with 50% efficacy.
And that has nothing to do with being manipulated or influenced by anyone.

Can I say I do find it funny all the masks being hung from the rear view mirror....reminds of fuzzy Dice...tacky but masks hanging probably more gross 😂

I have one hanging, but it is clean. I put it there in case I forget to toss one in my bag on the way out the door!

Pea-n-Me, just thought I'd ask this. You are in New Jersey, correct? Because I'm puzzled by something.

So my aunt has a friend that she's had since the 1960s. She's like 79 years old now. I tell you this only because I don't have a lot of information (getting it from my aunt). This friend lives in New Jersey and recently her granddaughter had a wedding. The invited 300 people and 150 were able to attend. The wedding ceremony was held indoors at a Catholic church and the reception was held outdoors. That sort of shocked me that this was allowed.

Anyhow, last week, the bride and two bridesmaids became sick with COVID. A few days later, the 79 y/o grandmother (my aunt's friend) became ill. They were still waiting for results from other people and notifying the guests at the wedding.

I was just shocked that this large of a gathering was allowed (late August). Any idea about that?
Catholic in NJ here, 150 allowed in churches or a certain percentage of capacity (our churches aren’t small), up to 500 outside.

As for Asian countries wearing masks when they’re sick and out in public. Doesn’t it make more sense if your sick stay home. Also there is no way way to have people wear masks for the rest of their lives. That’s just unrealistic. I also feel in a few years there’s going to be a lot of people with breathing issues due to wearing masks all day. It can’t be good to breath in that same stinky air whether it’s your own germs or not. By the end of my work day I’m so tired just from trying to get air through the mask. It’s just such a sad sick world
If this was the case, we would have generations of surgeons, nurses etc who have debilitating illness from masks. We don't. this is because MASKS ARE SAFE. Please don't spread this kind of nonsense. You clearly have no medical background and should not be giving this sort of information with authority because you have no education or experience that makes it true. Please don't spread lies and misinformation. It is irresponsible and wrong.

Not all surgeons are also wearing them for 8 hours or more either , yes some are that do very complicated surgeries but even then those ones don't always do them every day.

Yes, everyone always uses "surgeons" as an example of people who have long-term mask use and, yes, you could argue that they are not in a room wearing a mask all day every day (most do surgeries only one or two days a week), but there are nurses/scrub techs/etc who do go to work and wear a mask for 8-12+ hours a day... for decades.

My husband and his colleagues have been wearing masks 5-7 days a week for many years and never once have they been worried about not getting enough oxygen, developing lung problems, or getting brain damage. I see/hear people comment about these things every single day since the general public has started using masks. I just find it bizarre and hard to believe that it's that much of a genuine concern. I think for many people, it's really more about justifying the fact that they are uncomfortable and don't want to wear a mask because it sounds better to say you have health concerns than to say you just don't want to.

I do not like wearing a mask. I find them annoying and uncomfortable. I would be miserable if I had to wear one all day. But I fully acknowledge that's because I'm whiney and easily irritated. My husband and daughter who both work in an OR and my son who goes to public school have never once complained about wearing their masks all day, so I'm not going to try to justify my aversion to wearing one.

As far as surgeons wearing masks for very long surgeries I’m sure they have ones that are a lot better then the flimsy paper ones we have to wear. They other day I had one thst felt like it was sprayed on the inside sort of like wall paper waste but not the heavy. As I was trying to breath it got even stickier and harder to breath.

What types of masks are you buying? It should definitely not be "sticky" or have a "wall paper paste"-type of substance on it.

Don't they wear the same masks - paper ones? I'm thinking they don't wear reusable cloth ones!
Yes, surgical masks are the same "paper" masks that people are wearing. Unless they're doing something where an N95 mask is required; in which case they're way more difficult to breathe in than any disposable or cloth mask that the general public is using/complaining about.

I'm fairly certain that daily mask wearing will not lead to long-term breathing issues. However, contracting COVID most assuredly will.

Choose wisely.
I get the point you’re trying to make and agree masks are safe and advisable. But the bolded is sheer hyperbole and no less absurd than the assertions of the anti-maskers.

I believe we will be seeing him backtrack on this comment. The President said yesterday he spoke to the director after this comment and the director stated he may have misunderstood, etc., the question. The flip flopping back and forth makes me dizzy. All I know is I NEED A CRUISE😭
Dr Redfield did not misspeak or misunderstand.

I realize you didn't mean literally everyone, but I flew in July and will again in Dec. No fear here. And the rates right now are amazing. Round trip from Texas to Florida in December for $90 can't be beat.
Same here. We have two trips planned this year.

50% effective is the acceptable rate for the vaccine.
I've been wearing my mask now for months, going out locally, getting together with groups without masks and social distancing, going on vacation. My dh has been working from the very beginning, my ds has been working at a grocery store for the last month.
So far masks for us have been 100% effective in preventing COVID. Just saying.
I've got no problem continuing this if need be instead of getting a rushed out vaccine with 50% efficacy.
And that has nothing to do with being manipulated or influenced by anyone.
Are you sure it's the masks that are 100% effective? Other precautions may possibly have had a significant impact.

I'm fairly certain that daily mask wearing will not lead to long-term breathing issues. However, contracting COVID most assuredly will.

Choose wisely.
Thankfully some COVID patients only develop non respiratory symptoms.

I believe we will be seeing him backtrack on this comment. The President said yesterday he spoke to the director after this comment and the director stated he may have misunderstood, etc., the question. The flip flopping back and forth makes me dizzy. All I know is I NEED A CRUISE😭

Oh I hope no one is listening to either one of them!

Where people have more of an issue is people wear them because they choose too, which
Are you sure it's the masks that are 100% effective? Other precautions may possibly have had a significant impact.

I also think its very useful that people are actually staying home when sick. We have noticed far less sick kids in church and people hacking up a lung in stores. Sure some still are but many more are staying home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter