Masks?

Looks like Disney Shops are making/selling them now too. https://www.shopdisney.com/face-masks/

OMG baby yoda…
Small – Star Wars Cloth Face Masks 4-Pack Set – Pre-Order
These would be cute too

Medium – Disney Cloth Face Masks 4-Pack Set – Pre-Order

I am not the poster you were asking, but I just ordered some masks yesterday from a Canadian clothing company. The company is called Jerico, they are located in Toronto and their products are made in Canada, including the masks. I have purchased bamboo/cotton scarves and tshirts from them previously, so was excited when they announced through their email list and FB page that they now had masks available.

Their main website: https://jerico.ca/

The masks product page: https://jerico.ca/productdetail.aspx?c=1&s=0&pid=458

I ordered some of their masks yesterday [as well as some more scarves] so haven't received them yet to be able to comment on them specifically. But based on my previous experience with the company I am *expecting* a quality product.

Also, Canadian travel clothing icon Tilley Endurables is now selling non-medical face masks: https://www.tilley.com/ca_en/tilley-face-masks-non-medical.html and face shields: https://www.tilley.com/ca_en/catalogsearch/result/?q=ths+tcs

I purchased some of the Tilley ones when they first came out, so we've already received them. Comfortable, though not as good a fit as I would like, but that is my face dimensions - they fit better on my sister. One nice feature is adjustable elastic ear loops.

This will be one of the challenges of buying cloth face masks vs making your own -- fit. Some will fit well and hopefully your first purchase is that ! But others may not be an ideal fit.

Finally, I bought some from the US, again from a company I have done business with before for their other clothing. However, it is taking **forever** to make it through the postal system. Personally, I would recommend a Canadian supplier if possible, although even those are having delivery issues regardless of carrier - just not as long a delivery time.

We are making some of our own, too, I just haven't gotten round to making as many as I would like so we are also trying some of the commercially available ones. We plan to have several each so we don't have to wash them each day.

SW
Thank you for the recommended websites for Canadian made masks - so important now to shop Canadian! I've placed an order to Jerico as I love the bamboo cloth feeling. I have a cotton mask with elastics made for me, but its not very comfortable, so hoping the bamboo with fit better for me. Thanks!

I am not the poster you were asking, but I just ordered some masks yesterday from a Canadian clothing company. The company is called Jerico, they are located in Toronto and their products are made in Canada, including the masks. I have purchased bamboo/cotton scarves and tshirts from them previously, so was excited when they announced through their email list and FB page that they now had masks available.

Their main website: https://jerico.ca/

The masks product page: https://jerico.ca/productdetail.aspx?c=1&s=0&pid=458

I ordered some of their masks yesterday [as well as some more scarves] so haven't received them yet to be able to comment on them specifically. But based on my previous experience with the company I am *expecting* a quality product.

Also, Canadian travel clothing icon Tilley Endurables is now selling non-medical face masks: https://www.tilley.com/ca_en/tilley-face-masks-non-medical.html and face shields: https://www.tilley.com/ca_en/catalogsearch/result/?q=ths+tcs

I purchased some of the Tilley ones when they first came out, so we've already received them. Comfortable, though not as good a fit as I would like, but that is my face dimensions - they fit better on my sister. One nice feature is adjustable elastic ear loops.

This will be one of the challenges of buying cloth face masks vs making your own -- fit. Some will fit well and hopefully your first purchase is that ! But others may not be an ideal fit.

Finally, I bought some from the US, again from a company I have done business with before for their other clothing. However, it is taking **forever** to make it through the postal system. Personally, I would recommend a Canadian supplier if possible, although even those are having delivery issues regardless of carrier - just not as long a delivery time.

We are making some of our own, too, I just haven't gotten round to making as many as I would like so we are also trying some of the commercially available ones. We plan to have several each so we don't have to wash them each day.

SW

Since you bought both types of masks, were you able to put a "filter" in either kind?

Thank you so much for posting the links.

Masks. Ugh! I really do not like wearing one but as they are becoming a necessary evil to get into many places, I am trying my best to get some. I ordered some dispensable ones through Walmart.ca, but a month later, they have not arrived, and parcel tracking is not helping at all. Also ordered a thermometer, and likewise for that.

I could get on board with the Disney ones, but ShopDisney gives me that PFO message the minute I select Canada, for anything I try to order. I really hate sewing, but can as a last resort, but there is no elastic to be had around here, not even hair elastics as all have been snapped (no pun intended!) up by others with the same intention. I tried a version with ties and it was firmly vetoed by family members.

Really, really hoping that masks will not be required in WDW as they would certainly derail the enjoyment of strolling with a Mickey Ice cream bar, not to mention the general warmth and discomfort. That will discourage me from returning as soon as possible. I can cope with a mask with 20-30 minutes in Costco.

Masks. Ugh! I really do not like wearing one but as they are becoming a necessary evil to get into many places, I am trying my best to get some. I ordered some dispensable ones through Walmart.ca, but a month later, they have not arrived, and parcel tracking is not helping at all. Also ordered a thermometer, and likewise for that.

I could get on board with the Disney ones, but ShopDisney gives me that PFO message the minute I select Canada, for anything I try to order. I really hate sewing, but can as a last resort, but there is no elastic to be had around here, not even hair elastics as all have been snapped (no pun intended!) up by others with the same intention. I tried a version with ties and it was firmly vetoed by family members.

Really, really hoping that masks will not be required in WDW as they would certainly derail the enjoyment of strolling with a Mickey Ice cream bar, not to mention the general warmth and discomfort. That will discourage me from returning as soon as possible. I can cope with a mask with 20-30 minutes in Costco.
Six Flags just put out their plans for reopening and masks are going to be required. I don't see how Disney won't make them mandatory.

My Walmart shipment is "on hold" in Mississauga for the last 2 weeks. 🙄

Regarding getting hair elastics, my local grocery store had some. I included them on my regular order and they were there. Maybe people aren't thinking about hair stuff in the grocery store?

So I was at Shoppers to get a prescription yesterday and I put on my cloth mask and in I went . I needed my reading glasses to see my phone which I was using to pay and for my optimum card so I put them on outside before I put on the mask. All good right ? Wrong . By the time it was time to pay my glasses were so fogged up from the mask I couldn’t see . And I didn’t want to touch my face so I had to open my purse and lean forward until they fell off into my purse... while standing at the cash.. with people waiting. Then I had to bumble along squinting and not really able to see what I was doing with my phone to pay and use my cards. I looked like a lunatic. :rotfl:
This will take some getting used to.

My Walmart shipment is "on hold" in Mississauga for the last 2 weeks. 🙄

Regarding getting hair elastics, my local grocery store had some. I included them on my regular order and they were there. Maybe people aren't thinking about hair stuff in the grocery store?

or a dollar store? dollar stores always seem to have huge sections of hair bands/ties/scrunchies.

but they also have narrow aisles and might be more difficult to get through while social distancing.

For those of you who are still looking for a place to buy masks that are made IN CANADA and ship quickly (someone mentioned ordering on Sat and receiving them by Thursday), I stumbled across this website today! They're in Etobicoke ON - technically part of Toronto (and side note, my birthplace :P ) and they're selling packs of 5 masks for ~~$30 tax & shipping included - apparently it shows up as USD when looking at the Paypal option at first but it really is CDN funds. They're all black, have a nose wire and elastic straps.
***NO I'm not connected to this in any way, just thought I'd pass this along :D

Sendus Masks

Digging further into their website i found this neat option! Might come in handy for anyone who needs a special touch to advertising 😷

Custom Covers Orders
Do you need custom made covers for your business?
We can help. We offer multiple colour choices along with embroidery options to brand your covers with your business name.
If interested, please contact us and we'll assist you further.

For those of you who are still looking for a place to buy masks that are made IN CANADA and ship quickly (someone mentioned ordering on Sat and receiving them by Thursday), I stumbled across this website today! They're in Etobicoke ON - technically part of Toronto (and side note, my birthplace :P ) and they're selling packs of 5 masks for ~~$30 tax & shipping included - apparently it shows up as USD when looking at the Paypal option at first but it really is CDN funds. They're all black, have a nose wire and elastic straps.
***NO I'm not connected to this in any way, just thought I'd pass this along :D

Sendus Masks

View attachment 492048

Digging further into their website i found this neat option! Might come in handy for anyone who needs a special touch to advertising 😷

Custom Covers Orders
Do you need custom made covers for your business?
We can help. We offer multiple colour choices along with embroidery options to brand your covers with your business name.
If interested, please contact us and we'll assist you further.
Why, when I try to check out, do they convert to USD?

Why, when I try to check out, do they convert to USD?
Ok i just tried to do a dummy order and I found if I ignore the Paypal option and just jump down to filling out name, shipping info and then clicking on "continue to shipping" at the bottom of the page, and then "continue to payment" at the bottom of that page it then allows me to enter a credit card number and it stays in CDN funds.Try that and see if it works for you!!!

*ETA, the only payment option that seems to switch to USD funds is Paypal, all the others remain in CDN - GooglePay, shopPay and directly entering a credit card (Visa, Mastercard AND AMEX)

Ok i just tried to do a dummy order and I found if I ignore the Paypal option and just jump down to filling out name, shipping info and then clicking on "continue to shipping" at the bottom of the page, and then "continue to payment" at the bottom of that page it then allows me to enter a credit card number and it stays in CDN funds.Try that and see if it works for you!!!

*ETA, the only payment option that seems to switch to USD funds is Paypal, all the others remain in CDN - GooglePay, shopPay and directly entering a credit card (Visa, Mastercard AND AMEX)
I decided to use the paypal option, since they are essentially a popup and I didn't want my card out there with them. Maybe a mistake, though, since no chargeback option for that.

Anyway, I used the USD choice, which, for 2 packs of 5 + shipping was USD $34.57. It was going to charge me CAD $41.48 for the $40.00 order (then shipping), so I'm taking my chances with my Rogers card so I can get the 4% cashback on the conversion. We'll see if I made the right choice.

So I was at Shoppers to get a prescription yesterday and I put on my cloth mask and in I went . I needed my reading glasses to see my phone which I was using to pay and for my optimum card so I put them on outside before I put on the mask. All good right ? Wrong . By the time it was time to pay my glasses were so fogged up from the mask I couldn’t see . And I didn’t want to touch my face so I had to open my purse and lean forward until they fell off into my purse... while standing at the cash.. with people waiting. Then I had to bumble along squinting and not really able to see what I was doing with my phone to pay and use my cards. I looked like a lunatic. :rotfl:

Hi Hon
The same thing happens when I put my glasses on,,while I think the mask my sister in law made me is safer,,I just may have to use something else as not being able to see kind of makes shopping a tad bit difficult.
Maybe over time it will get better.
Hugs to you
Mel

Since you bought both types of masks, were you able to put a "filter" in either kind?

Thank you so much for posting the links.

The Tilley masks have a pouch on the inside that one can insert a filter into. They do not come with filters though, you have to make/acquire your own. Also, inside that pouch at the top of the nose area you could insert something like a craft pipecleaner to get a better fit (I haven't tried that yet).

My Thompson Tees masks from the USA (https://thompsontee.com/face-masks) arrived today. I love them ! Comfortable, excellent fit. Also fits over my Cambridge Mask if I want to do that. They are double-layer cotton and do not have a filter pocket. Made in the US, US company. Note: Free postal shipping to Canada for orders over US$99. However, it took about two weeks to get here (ordered April 12, shipped April 14, arrived today, May 1).

The Jerico and the Orange Room masks haven't arrived yet.

FYI to add to my previous post:

The Orange Room Puffin Gear shop now sells reusable cotton face masks made in their Toronto studio. They are a Canadian company. I have NOT purchased from them before but figured I would try them as the masks look quite nice as do their sun protective hats. I bought some masks and a sun protective hat. That order has not yet arrived. Website: https://theorangeroom.ca/ Masks page: https://theorangeroom.ca/products/reusable-cotton-face-mask

The well.ca website (now owned by Rexall) sells both Puffin Gear masks and well as another brand, Snug as a Bug. Adult and child sizes.

Puffin Gear masks
Canadian made, Canadian company
https://well.ca/brand/puffin-gear.html

Also Snug As A Bug masks; also Canadian, made in Canada
https://well.ca/brand/snug-as-a-bug.html

So more options for cloth masks made in Canada becoming available, which is nice to see.

SW

Ok so here’s a question all the thoughts of wearing masks in parks etc if it’s hot how will people eat or drink ? Take the masks off in restaurants ? I just don’t understand how this work work when you are at a park for hours and if in FL it’s hot and hotter with a mask on? Thoughts ?

To be honest, ties are usually more comfortable even if less "attractive" as they don't tug/pull at your ears.

I have severe allergies, including environmental ones. Basically if it is a plant or a flower or a mold, I am likely allergic to it [one time they did skin testing and I reacted to 68/72 things... of what they tested, I was NOT allergic to two grasses, one tree, and one type of mold... needless to say, me and the great outdoors is not a great combo].

This means that from early spring through end of fall I wear a quality filtering face mask when outdoors. I also wear one when visiting WDW or cruising DCL. There are other reasons there too, but we'll go with just the allergies for now as they are enough on their own.

My masks of choice are Cambridge Mask or Vogmask. They are either N95 or N99 [if fit perfectly] depending on the style you get. I realize in practice they may not be at quite that level, but IME they are highly effective against particulate matter and common allergens. However, they are expensive, and right now not available due to too much demand. I have been using them for many years, so I have some one hand, but I don't want to use them up. Add to that, I don't want to be unnecessarily potentially contaminating them with covid, since they are reusable upto ~340 hours each. Which is why I am also getting some "normal" cloth face masks, plus other family members need them too.

But wearing masks, including in FL, that I can speak to.

I have not and never will do WDW in the summer. We went in September once and found that to be way too hot for this Canadian family. So consider that when reading what I am about to say. However, here in Ontario the summers can get horribly hot and humid -- even hotter than FL -- but fortunately it peaks up for not too many days before dropping to something a little more reasonable.

Wearing a mask takes some getting used to. Certainly there are the looks from others as until now it isn't socially normal to be wearing one in public in Canada - interestingly, it often means e.g. you get a seat to yourself on public transit, unless the bus is *really* full and someone *really* wants to sit down ;-) That has changed now as more and more people are taking the advice of public health officials and wearing cloth masks.

But social norms aside just physically wearing it takes some getting used to. They can be hot [but aren't necessarily!! and in the winter they are great because they trap some of that humidity you breathe out which makes the air your then breathe in a bit more humid and therefore more comfortable]. Some fabrics itch. They can fog glasses and sunglasses especially if they aren't fitted/adjusted right. And yes, you have to adjust how you go about your day wearing them [re: strolling with a Mickey bar]. If wearing them for a lengthy time the ear loops can get uncomfortable and pull on your poor ears or even get tangled up behind your ears with the ear part of glasses [note: always take them off slowly and carefully so your glasses don't go flinging off....]. You need to train yourself not to touch your face, not to adjust the mask unless there is a significant issue with it, etc. It takes **conscious effort**, whether you are wearing it for 10 minutes or 10 hours.

Fundamentally one needs to make some decisions about mask wearing. If you decide it is a necessity [or are mandated to] then certain things come with that if you are going to venture out wearing it, even more so if that is on a trip somewhere like to WDW. It is doable*, it is a matter of figuring out how and what is needed to adapt. (*assuming no contraindication to mask wearing, like very young child or certain medical conditions)

As for elastics... You can use fabric to make fabric ties. Or ribbon.

Bungee cords can be opened up -- they have elastic inside them.

And here is a no sew/no elastic mask instructions:

Jennifer Marker
No-sew face mask

EASY No-Sew Face Mask with Two Layers + Filter Pocket -- No Elastic, No Ties!

Deluxe extended video with Q&A is second video here:
https://jennifermaker.com/no-sew-face-mask-tshirt/

For those who DO have access to a sewing machine, some instructions for different styles of homemade masks from a couple good sources. These are the links to the video instructions; the page then has links to the actual written instructions and things like extra tips as well as the pattern templates.

# 1 - Sweet Red Poppy
How to Sew a Bias Tape Surgical Face Mask with Flexible Nose

# 2 - Sweet Red Poppy
How to Sew a Fitted Cotton Face Mask

#3 - Sweet Red Poppy
How to Sew a Surgical Face Mask for Hospitals

Also, a general video from Sweet Red Poppy:
DIY Best Fabric Face Mask Step-by-Step Tutorial for Beginners | Sweet Red Poppy

#4 - Jennifer Maker
face mask with filter pocket (more fitted)

DIY Face Mask with Filter Pocket - Make on a Cricut or By Hand!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD6bnzKTkcc

SW

Last edited:

I have found that if wearing glasses you really need a mask that has a wire-adjustible nose. Heavy fogging is an indication of a lot of air "leakage" and a poor fit. You may need a different style or to better adjust the mask.

That said, even with a good-fitting cloth mask you will likely still get some fogging in the right conditions. This time of year [and the winter] is bad because it is still cool, so your glasses can end up being fairly cool in temp so then when you breathe nice warm air onto them they fog up. When they are closer to room temp you won't have as much of a problem, so as we head into summer it will get better in that regard.

A couple tricks: make sure the glasses are OVER the mask entirely. Depending on the mask style, some of the fabric of the mask might come up right under the bottom of the glasses.

Also, slide the glasses a little further down the nose than you are used to wearing them. This does two things - it makes sure it is on top of the mask, and two, it creates a bit more space between your face and the glasses. That little bit of extra space can be just enough that fogging almost goes away except in crazy cold temps [when you are just toast no matter what you do].

I usually wear sunglasses over my eyeglasses, and in winter both will fog, but in warmer weather sometimes it is just the sunglasses, so if I have to I can carefully take them off. I travel with an extra pair in my car just in case. One thing that works with the sunglasses that fit over the glasses is to create a little bit of space between them. Again, that buffer can be just enough.

Needless to say, that space adjusting takes some practice.

Another thing that helps is to be conscious of your breathing. If you are breathing quickly fogging is worse. Breathing through a mask takes some effort and if you aren't used to it you could effectively be exerting yourself that your breath rate is up etc. Slow down, walk slower, that may help with the fogging.

Another thing I find really helps is to shift how I breathe out. if you just breathe out and the mask is not a perfect tight fit some of that air is going up through the top of the mask, where of course it finds nice cool glasses to fog.

But if when you breathe out you change the shape of your mouth and lips so you direct the air DOWN toward your chin, only a little makes it way up to the top. This significantly reduces the amount of fogging. In cold weather it may mean one lens stays clear and only one is fogged up -- this is impressive when it is -40 !! You can sit at home and play around with directing the air - try it and put your hand in front of your face and feel where the air goes. It feels weird, but you get used to it. And even if you breathe normally most of the time but when the lenses start to fog you adjust to the downward breathing until the fog stops that can make a difference. Of course it means being much more consciously aware of your breathing, but if the other tips don't stop the fogging it may be needed.

Also, here are some other tips that may help:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3293317/
https://www.moneytalksnews.com/5-ways-to-keep-glasses-from-fogging-when-wearing-a-mask/
https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/a32239755/stop-foggy-glasses-with-face-mask/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/rachel...ks-from-fogging-up-your-glasses/#679e1b72e6a3
SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter