Massive fires in Napa and Sonoma Counties

It's huge news around here. Tens of thousands of acres are on fire, thousands of homes/businesses burned down, and the smell of smoke is everywhere in the San Francisco Bay Area. It's hit within the city limits of Santa Rosa, California.

http://www.sonomanews.com/news/7507947-181/multiple-fires-spread-by-high
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7506978-181/fires-burn-across-sonoma-and
Oh my gosh, I was reading how they have been evacuating small hospital. I hope it goes out soon and the community and firefighters and animals are safe. Keep your windows closed.

Currently my fb feed is full of various people posting fire information across northern California. A friend of mine posted that her neighborhood has been evacuated. I texted my bff as I saw that there's a fire in Lake County too. She said that a friend has lost their home.

We are right in the middle of this. My inlaws have all evacuated and are waiting to find out if they have houses to go back to. We’re ok for right now, but with 0% containment, we’re on high alert.

1,500 houses/structures damaged
20,000 people evacuated
57,000 acres gone
In the combined fires (14 major ones).

It’s devastating.

Oh my gosh, I was reading how they have been evacuating small hospital. I hope it goes out soon and the community and firefighters and animals are safe. Keep your windows closed.

Two of the major hospitals were evacuated early this morning. It’s really scary.

This is really scary. I was in Santa Rosa (in the area that has been devastated) yesterday. This is not some small rural area. This is a major (small) city in this area. I have to go back to the area on Wednesday (assuming everything is contained by then) and it is going to look like a completely different place. So many homes & business are gone.

And to top it off there is a wildfire just north of me in Mendocino County (Redwood Valley, Willits, Potter Valley). So far my area is "safe" but half the people expected to be at work today aren't because they can't get here.

One of my cousins in Santa Rosa was evacuated earlier today. Another cousin in Orange County was also was evacuated today. The state is burning all over! I am praying their houses are safe.

It IS the time of year for major wild fires in California. It's sad that it has come, once again, to a populated area (remember the Oakland Hills fire in the early 1990's?), but it is indeed a fairly routine thing in that state this time of year. Made worse this year by the abnormally wet winter last year.....lots of brush to dry out over the summer and form a big risk.

We have a home about 30 miles south. Stay safe everyone.

My cousin evacuated since the fires are near her house and the smoke is really bad. I hope they can contain it before it gets to her house.

It's been a bad year all over the US for disasters this year. I was talking to DD in San Francisco this morning and she could smell the smoke. We are planning to head out to see her next month and going to Sonoma. Hope they get things under control as quickly as possible, and pray for everyone's safety.

A friend from high school posted on FB that he had lost his home. He was evacuated Monday morning and says he could see 3 houses burning at the end of his street as he drove away. :( 2017 had been a horrible year and it isn't over yet.

My friend's step grandma lost her home to the fire that is up in the Yuba area. My heart is breaking for everyone.

Horrifying. When you have to flee in the face of a fire and possibly lose everything in such a terrifying and violent way, there are no words.

Right now it smells like smoke in the East Bay. My kid’s school didn’t have the regular class lineup in the yard and all classes went straight to their classrooms. We got an automated call last night that classes were on but they would decide how to handle it.

Evacuations continued to grow last night. We ended up evacuating yesterday afternoon but are home now. School is canceled again. Air quality is still horrible.

I've got a cousin in Santa Rosa that family members are trying to track down but have been unable to so far. Apparently she's in the evacuation zone and no one's heard from her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter